Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 15:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What would you choose over an MBA?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 23:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
With r2 calls just round the corner, I'm as hyped as any of you to get a call. But while surfing the net and letting my mind loose in the office, I started thinking - what's more important than an MBA to me?

So you've put in the hours into the GMAT, wrote and edited those essays a gazillion times and now, you've got into the school of your choice - be it HBS, Tuck, Owen, Yale, whatever. No scholarship. Just a straight up simple admit. My question is, what would you choose or what would need to happen for you to reject that admit? What would you choose over doing an MBA?

Family? Girlfriend? Job? Dog? Setting up a burger stall? Share with me....

For me, maybe marriage to the girl of my dreams.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 434 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 23:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
Great questions adc. Kudos. They could make this an MBA essay question. Let me think about this one before I come up with an answer.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 496
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 05:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
adcxaway wrote:
For me, maybe marriage to the girl of my dreams.


oh this is so cute :) I didn't think any romantics apply for MBAs
I thought that MBA people are just overachiever workaholics :)

anyways... if I got an associate position with one of the big 3 consulting companies in their London, UK office I wouldn't go to b-school, because that is what I want to do post-MBA, and if I could get it now there wouldn't be interested in getting an MBA
_________________

GO BLUE !!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 496
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 07:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
:) really? and just how much do you remember from the stuff you learned in udergrad? I don't think I even rememebr 10% of the things I learned in undergrad and it has been less than 2 years since I graduated :)

For me an MBA is just the next step to get me where I want to be at a few years from now. MBA is not relaly about education :) it is about opportunities that it gives you, exchange of ideas, network .... and a bunch of other intangibles :)

Trust me, the balance sheet analysis that you will learn in your MBA will evaporate from your brain pretty quickly :) ... but if you have your dream job by then it won't even matter :)

helg wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:

anyways... if I got an associate position with one of the big 3 consulting companies in their London, UK office I wouldn't go to b-school, because that is what I want to do post-MBA, and if I could get it now there wouldn't be interested in getting an MBA


Na-ah, wrong answer! MBA is a lifetime investment, this is not something you do to just land in a typical post-MBA job. I expect the knowledge I will obtain in the b-school to benefit me in decades.

_________________

GO BLUE !!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 496
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 07:11
1
This post received
KUDOS
The last time I checked most CEOs of Fortune 500 companies didn't have MBAs.
I don't need an MBA to be successful, I need an MBA to have my dream job :), once you are in the door the piece of paper that represents your MBA degree doesn't mean much :)

dosa_don wrote:
So, will your dream job be sufficient enough to drop an MBA? What about 5-10 years later? You might not be able to progress to, say, a partner or whatever your next step is without an MBA right?

_________________

GO BLUE !!!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 1062
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 07:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
Well you probably need a Masters, not necessarily an MBA. According this "62% of all S&P 500 CEOs have earned an advanced degree beyond their undergraduate degree (this includes MBAs, other master degrees, PhDs, etc.)."
http://content.spencerstuart.com/sswebsite/pdf/lib/2005_CEO_Study_JS.pdf

From this it shows that 67% of S & P 500 CEO's have a Masters: http://www.taibros.net/archives/2005/11/07/so-you-want-to-be-a-ceo




Darden2010 wrote:
The last time I checked most CEOs of Fortune 500 companies didn't have MBAs.
I don't need an MBA to be successful, I need an MBA to have my dream job :), once you are in the door the piece of paper that represents your MBA degree doesn't mean much :)

dosa_don wrote:
So, will your dream job be sufficient enough to drop an MBA? What about 5-10 years later? You might not be able to progress to, say, a partner or whatever your next step is without an MBA right?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 08:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
wrong approach apiroop.
:)

I dont think its difficult to get a hot chick, its difficult to get an intelligent hot chick that makes money. THAAATs why you go to b school, so you can find that girl that will make six figures post-MBA and has some topics to discuss. ;)
(Dartmouth Medical beware... hahah)

Kellogg should have been your choice..I just read they have A&F models there...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 11:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
If I won the lottery I would actually do the MBA even more. But with an even wider grin on my face 24/7.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 23:30
anything involving my children
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 410
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 23:43
Winning the jackpot at Euromillions.
_________________

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 02:16
Audio wrote:
Winning the jackpot at Euromillions.


Same for me, please.

togafoot wrote:
anything involving my children


That goes without saying, but think positive, Togafoot!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 02:52
in that case, if i was offered a senior position which incorporates high-tech, music and business.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 03:12
togafoot wrote:
in that case, if i was offered a senior position which incorporates high-tech, music and business.


Like a CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 03:38
helg wrote:
togafoot wrote:
in that case, if i was offered a senior position which incorporates high-tech, music and business.


Like a CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment?


Sounds about right, unless togafoot is gunning to replace Steve Jobs...
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 983
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 04:46
nah, not interested in steve jobs position. Something more like Simon Cowell + High Tech :)
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 06:55
Darden2010 wrote:

anyways... if I got an associate position with one of the big 3 consulting companies in their London, UK office I wouldn't go to b-school, because that is what I want to do post-MBA, and if I could get it now there wouldn't be interested in getting an MBA


Na-ah, wrong answer! MBA is a lifetime investment, this is not something you do to just land in a typical post-MBA job. I expect the knowledge I will obtain in the b-school to benefit me in decades.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Posts: 1062
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 07:06
So, will your dream job be sufficient enough to drop an MBA? What about 5-10 years later? You might not be able to progress to, say, a partner or whatever your next step is without an MBA right?

Darden2010 wrote:
:) really? and just how much do you remember from the stuff you learned in udergrad? I don't think I even rememebr 10% of the things I learned in undergrad and it has been less than 2 years since I graduated :)

For me an MBA is just the next step to get me where I want to be at a few years from now. MBA is not relaly about education :) it is about opportunities that it gives you, exchange of ideas, network .... and a bunch of other intangibles :)

Trust me, the balance sheet analysis that you will learn in your MBA will evaporate from your brain pretty quickly :) ... but if you have your dream job by then it won't even matter :)

helg wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:

anyways... if I got an associate position with one of the big 3 consulting companies in their London, UK office I wouldn't go to b-school, because that is what I want to do post-MBA, and if I could get it now there wouldn't be interested in getting an MBA


Na-ah, wrong answer! MBA is a lifetime investment, this is not something you do to just land in a typical post-MBA job. I expect the knowledge I will obtain in the b-school to benefit me in decades.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 981
Location: Hong Kong
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 07:37
someone please say that an MBA gets you a hot chick tooo...

that is why I want an MBa.. MBA = $¥ and pounds = hot women (mostly gold diggers, but who cares)

I would not do an MBA, if I seriously got a job from lonely planet asking me to travel all around the world..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Posts: 498
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 08:16
I would work at a think-tank (if you aren't aware what this is, here is an example http://rand.org/) . Wouldn't that just be the coolest job ever?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2007
Posts: 496
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: What would you choose over an MBA? [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2008, 08:20
oook so I have 38% chance to become a Fortune 500 CEO with my undergrad? that ain't too bad. And also, people with advanced degrees are generally more motivated, work harder... which translates into more success. If all the undergrad diploma holders were as motivated and worked as hard, don't you think the gap between grad vs. undergrad CEOs would have been more narrow?
So it is not the degree, it is the personality that counts ;)

dosa_don wrote:
Well you probably need a Masters, not necessarily an MBA. According this "62% of all S&P 500 CEOs have earned an advanced degree beyond their undergraduate degree (this includes MBAs, other master degrees, PhDs, etc.)."
http://content.spencerstuart.com/sswebsite/pdf/lib/2005_CEO_Study_JS.pdf

From this it shows that 67% of S & P 500 CEO's have a Masters: http://www.taibros.net/archives/2005/11/07/so-you-want-to-be-a-ceo




Darden2010 wrote:
The last time I checked most CEOs of Fortune 500 companies didn't have MBAs.
I don't need an MBA to be successful, I need an MBA to have my dream job :), once you are in the door the piece of paper that represents your MBA degree doesn't mean much :)

dosa_don wrote:
So, will your dream job be sufficient enough to drop an MBA? What about 5-10 years later? You might not be able to progress to, say, a partner or whatever your next step is without an MBA right?

_________________

GO BLUE !!!

Re: What would you choose over an MBA?   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2008, 08:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Help! Which one would you choose? rihasulia 1 30 May 2014, 03:09
3 If you didn't do MBA, what would you do? allbusiness 14 05 Sep 2010, 10:10
Financing the MBA...what would you do? novian18 2 28 Jun 2010, 12:39
3 What would it take for you to go to Emirates after MBA? nink 25 28 Dec 2008, 10:23
What would you recommend? craig2464 4 19 Dec 2006, 22:21
Display posts from previous: Sort by

What would you choose over an MBA?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.