Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What would you do.....

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

What would you do..... [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2007, 11:50
Hi all,

I would be very grateful for your help.

I took that GMAT a few days ago and scored 620 on it. I wanted to meet the London Business School deadline on Feb 23rd (3rd round). I now have 2 choices:

1. Prepare for the resit exam, do my essays and get my recommendations all sorted in the next 4 weeks and then sit the GMAT 2-3 days before the Feb 23rd deadline and apply if I get a good enough GMAT score. This way I can meet the Feb 23rd deadine, but I worry that my preparation for each component may not be my best.

2. Concentrate on GMAT for the next 2 months and sit the exam in March and then apply for the 4th round deadline on April 27th. My worry is that LBS will only have a very limited number of place left in the 4th round.

What would you advise please. Thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

By the way, how many times can a person take the GMAT before it starts looking bad?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2007, 12:49
Hi,

I attended the open day at LBS last week, and managed to spend about 10 minutes with Tamsin, one of the admissions managers. I specifically asked her about R3 & 4 and the numbers, as expected she wouldn't provide figures - but did tell me that last year they accepted around 50 people from R4 & the waitlist. Someone even managed to get an admit a couple of weeks before the term started. She also confirmed (as did a couple of others I spoke to) that the bulk of apps come in R2, so there is potentially an advantage in applying to the other rounds, as the numbers are alot lower.

R3 is the deadline for scholarships etc, but I guess your not bothered about this. If this was your 1st attempt, I would resign myself to taking the test 2 more times max. My concern is that if set your heart on retaking the test with the intention of meeting 23rd feb, you will be putting yourself under too much pressure and will not be in a positive state of mind when you retake the exam. To mitigate this pressure I would stick to the plan of applying to R3, but resign yourself to the possibility of having to retake again and apply to R4.

You might find this hard to believe but I went from 640 to 750 without doing any extra work. The key for me was to not let the test psyche me out, I resigned myself to taking the test as many times as it took to nail the f*cker. I decided to obliterate the GMAT regardless of whether I was going to apply for an MBA, my defeat had become personal! With the pressure of performing on the test out of the way, I waltzed into the next test like a cowboy and strolled out like zorro (well i was actually shaking like a leaf at seeing 750 but nevermind :-D ). Overcoming the phsycological aspect of the test had allowed me to overcome the test in entirety.

One caveat I should mention is that I am also applying to LBS for R3!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2007, 13:28
Thanks a lot for your reply londonluddite. I'm grateful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2007, 12:27
That's a very motivating reply....encourages me to ace my GMAT also
  [#permalink] 23 Mar 2007, 12:27