Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What Would You Do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What Would You Do? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 15:45
I desperately want to leave my job. I've been disliking it for the past year, but decided to bite the bullet anyway.

But now it has gotten to the point where it's unbearable. I spend most of my days being bitter, and on the weekends, I dread the upcoming workweek. This CANNOT be healthy.

I do not have any acceptances yet (well 1, but I'm aiming for something better). My ideal plan was to quit around May or June, take 3 months off, and then go to school in the fall. But obviously, this plan is now up in the air.

I am on the waitlist for 2 schools, and haven't heard back from 2 others. Would it look horrible if I quit my job now? Of course I wouldn't be a couch potato - I'm considering volunteering abroad in Thailand with a friend.

So what would you do in my situation? Quit now and save your sanity? Or just suck it up again and stay?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: What Would You Do? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 15:54
Quitting while on the WL will make it a tougher hill to climb. I think you should suck it up for a few more and then see where things stand.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: What Would You Do? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 16:09
I agree with RR. Just suck it up for another 3 months or until you convert your WL. Try to make the best of it given the knowledge there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: What Would You Do? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 17:16
I totally understand your situation, but for the long run, I would also just bear through it a few more months until you get an admit under your belt. Then you can quit immediately :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: What Would You Do? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 17:26
rampup82, sorry to hear about your situation. i'm hoping you'll be able get in at both schools.

i did want to ask the others here, why you even need to tell the adcoms about leaving your job. if you're coming off of the waitlist, that's going to happen whether you stay in your job or you don't. why couldn't you simply tell the schools that you are taking some time off to go to Thailand and work with your friend - and that's it.

if you're that miserable at work, i (and admittedly i have limited experience with this) see no tangible benefit in sticking it out for another 3 months to wait and see whether you are able to secure a spot off the waitlist.

edited: I deleted the school names in my reply since you didn't disclose them in your original post.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What Would You Do? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 23:25
hey thanks for the support everyone. i talk to my friends about this stuff sometimes, but it's much more comforting to talk to people who have been or are going through the same emotions. so, thanks for being my soapbox. :)

i'm kinda wondering the same thing as solaris1 though. for the two schools i haven't heard back from, i can understand why i should wait out another few months. but for the schools i'm WL at, why would it matter? their decision to pull me off the WL is dependent on what new information I decide to provide them, right? :wink: for all they know, i'm still at my job.

just wondering...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: What Would You Do? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 00:52
I don't think the issue should be whether the school you're WL at will find out that you quit, but just in case you don't get into any school at all. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: What Would You Do? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 05:51
ask yourself the question: What would Oprah do?

just kidding. I am on the same boat as you. you have an admit already, if you hate it so much and don't need the money, just quit and go do thailand, it might actually look good if you're doing community service. For me unfortunately i don't have an admit yet, and i need the money...so i have to stick it out for a few more months...as soon as I get an admit i'm gone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: What Would You Do? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 06:08
kryzak wrote:
I don't think the issue should be whether the school you're WL at will find out that you quit, but just in case you don't get into any school at all. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

I'm under the impression that if he doesn't get into ANY school, he'd quit his job anyways.

I would TRY to stick it out at least until the WLs come back. However, if you really are that miserable, then you should leave.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: What Would You Do? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 06:58
this is kind of a tangent, but i was wondering how you guys are thinking about background checks.

if admitted, i also want to quit my job and either study + travel or do an internship before b-school. i have nightmares though about quitting my job and then having some hiccup in the background check. i was honest in my application, but some of the data was hard to find so i estimated and noted it in the optional essay. basically, i am wondering how harsh the schools are in their checks (i am paranoid!!). what if you quit your job and then have your offer rescinded? ouch.
Re: What Would You Do?   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2008, 06:58