Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What would you do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

What would you do?

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

What would you do? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 16:14
Hey Y'all! I'm hoping I can get some people's perspectives on this. I was all set to apply this year for matriculation next year, but now (as of a few days ago) I am having second thoughts and considering applying next year for matriculation in 2012. There are a lot of well informed folks on this process here, so I would just like to get your input if you don't mind.

I graduated from college in 2008 (non celebrated state school), not a great GPA (3.2), however tons of EC and leadership positions in the EC field, lots of responsibilities at work. Thing is, I have only been at my present company for close to a year. (it would be 2 years at matriculation in 2011) and in my current department for 4 months (it would be a year and a half at 2011 matriculation). Basically, I have worked for all 3 years since graduation but it hasn't all been for the same company so I am not sure if I should wait another year to show longevity.

If I apply for 2011
- I don't have to stay in a job function that I am in no way shape or form passionate about
-I complete the program quicker and am done quicker (and get to working on my goals quicker)
-I have done lots of app prework, have visited schools and reached out to LOADS of students and alumni. Would really hate all this to go to waste. Have even started giving the essays a shot.
- Biggest point for me (because I have worked towards this for soo long) is I have mentally prepared to leave my job in 2011

If I apply for 2012
-I'd save more money towards school
-If all goes well, I could get a stronger recommendation from work.
- More quantifiable work experience (hopefully more impact on my company)
- I'll be applying to a couple schools via the consortium so I could hopefully get a stronger consortium recommendation (which MAY lead to a fellowship)
-I can take one or two international service trips this year - something I really want to do (e.g. going to a 3rd world country to teach)

I don't hate my job or anything, but i certainly don't feel fulfilled. 2 years seems like a long time and I am kinda worried 'other' things (aka life) will pop up and I will end up not doing this. This poll may seem trivial or silly, but Id really love to hear what folks on here think. The Why MBA question is one I can answer very clearly, so I am not doing this on a whim.

ANY feedback is honestly appreciated. Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: What would you do? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 16:27
first, what type of company are you working for (blue chip, F100, 200, etc or small/unknown?) and what function(s) have you worked in? have you showed career progress (promotions, more responsibility, higher pay, etc)? secondly, what schools are you targeting? these all go hand in hand in determining the overall strength of your application. 3 yrs with the same company overcomes you only being in your current role for however many months at the time of application. if you could answer the first two questions (also GPA, major, GMAT) that will help you get more detailed opinions.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Manager
Manager

Re: What would you do? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 16:50
Thanks 2012dreams. I work in the IT organization of a F100 financial services company . Having only been there less than a year, I have certainly shown career progress. In the first six months, I successfully led a project to improve a process for a major division of the company, did loads of presentations to senior leaders and even presented to the entire department (about 250 folks, in the huge auditorium where senior management give their speeches and what not, which was pretty cool :) ). Anyways, after that project went well, another department sought me out and thats where I am now. Regarding my job functions, project management, business analysis and strategic planning are all hats I wear in my current role. I did show good progress in my previous company as well.. it was a tiny unknown start up company but I did have rapidly increasing responsibility over time (that's why I left, there was no where else to go). I want to go in to Product Marketing Management/Product Strategy in Tech/Media post MBA.

Facts: GPA is 3.2, GMAT 680 but I am retaking in 7 weeks, Schools I am targeting = Kellogg, Ross, Fuqua, McCombs, Stern & Darden.

-Gracias
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 266 [2] , given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: What would you do? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 19:18
This post received
KUDOS
mbalady wrote:
Thanks 2012dreams. I work in the IT organization of a F100 financial services company . Having only been there less than a year, I have certainly shown career progress. In the first six months, I successfully led a project to improve a process for a major division of the company, did loads of presentations to senior leaders and even presented to the entire department (about 250 folks, in the huge auditorium where senior management give their speeches and what not, which was pretty cool :) ). Anyways, after that project went well, another department sought me out and thats where I am now. Regarding my job functions, project management, business analysis and strategic planning are all hats I wear in my current role. I did show good progress in my previous company as well.. it was a tiny unknown start up company but I did have rapidly increasing responsibility over time (that's why I left, there was no where else to go). I want to go in to Product Marketing Management/Product Strategy in Tech/Media post MBA.

Facts: GPA is 3.2, GMAT 680 but I am retaking in 7 weeks, Schools I am targeting = Kellogg, Ross, Fuqua, McCombs, Stern & Darden.

-Gracias

I think that you're likely to have a more complete application if you wait a year, but you can probably pick up an acceptance from at least one school on your list. A higher GMAT score would certainly help your odds.

I've been in your shoes before though. I started thinking about business school when I was in my last year of undergrad (2006). I bought books for the GMAT in 2007 and took my first official GMAT toward the end of 2008. The application season came and went, so in 2009 I decided to take the GMAT again. That application season came and went as well.

So, here I am. Life happened. I've increased my GMAT score by 70 points, received 2 promotions, and I've had special assignments that I never would have dreamed of. I'm finally ready to work on applications in the fall (unless life happens again!).

My advice is this: If life or your career is going good, don't rush it. Every opportunity in your life is significant, not just the opportunities after Business School.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager

Re: What would you do? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 13:30
Thanks for the thoughtful response Avernusaur. I guess because I have had this goal for so long, its easy to develop 'b school tunnel vision'
Re: What would you do?   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2010, 13:30