Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What would you recommend?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What would you recommend? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2006, 22:21
I'm in the process of prepping my essays and applications for three schools...Wash U(due Jan 8), Vanderbilt(due Jan 15), and UT-Austin(rolling).
My GMAT score was a 620, which is near the median for both Wash U and Vanderbilt. Although, it is about 50 points under the median for UT-Austin, my top choice (still in the 80% range).

I'm registered to re-take the GMAT again on Jan 6, but I haven't had a whole lot of time to prepare. Should I spend more time studying and retaking the GMAT? Or, should I devote more time to perfecting my essays? Should I retake the GMAT w/o much prep? I only got a 31 on the verbal and I bet I can get this score up with a little more prep.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2006, 13:55
Don't retake without prepping. Sit down and try to get your first essay out of the way, because that's due two days after your retake. Then focus on GMAT prep.

After you retake the test, work on your app for the second school, perfect it as much as possible, and then work on UT Austin.

You can wait until you see your score before sending it, and you can submit an unofficial score on your applications for the first two schools.

But definitely practice!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2006, 14:15
Probably not a great idea to take the test without additional study unless you feel something went wrong with the first attempt. I retook the test as a speculative punt without doing (hardly) any extra study, but several factors conspired to make my first attempt a disaster - so I thought it was worth a try. My score improved drastically, merely from being more composed and less stressed, but of course your mileage may vary :bouncer2
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2006, 15:09
Well, I didn't sleep well the day before last time and did not get to bed early enough. My thinking abilites were greatly affected, esp during reading comp and critical reasoning. I thought gettting some better rest the night before could help my chances, but test anxiety could prove to be a stronger force once again.
My essays for both UT and Wash U are pretty much completed. I just wanted the additional time for perfecting them and working on my apps.
I guess my main question is whether a 20-30 point increase on my GMAT score looks better than a highly crafted essay? Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2006, 15:16
Anxiety will get you again if you aren't prepared, regardless of whether you sleep well. So divide your time between taking practice tests and working on your essay.
  [#permalink] 20 Dec 2006, 15:16