Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:57

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What You Talkin' Bout GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

What You Talkin' Bout GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 22:08
Hello GMATclub Forums members. I am in the early stages of my GMAT study and I've asked myself, "What is the bottom line in understanding the GMAT and in turn getting the best score you can?" I have come across many different opinions on this site, books and elsewhere as to what constitutes a successful GMAT study plan. The GMAC via the "OG" says that only a basic understanding of the underlying rules of each section is necessary. However, as many of us know this statement makes things seem much easier than they really are. In fact the GMAT can prove to be a true test of wits and I applaud all of you who have "beat the beast." Many of the "GMAT masters" on this forum have posted their study guides to help newbies and those with difficulty. Most of the study guides included a prep course of choice and rigorous question attacking in the "OG." To me both of these have there limitations. For the most part prep courses and the "OG" simply help you get familiar with the test and the questions you will see on the test. As study in both prep courses and the "OG" progress explanations to the problems help to understand the GMAT. The problem still remains if you don't understand what constitute the test doing problem after problem or shelling out thousands of dollars is like hitting your head against the wall over and again expecting for it to feel good the next time. In other words "If you don't know where you are coming from, where can you go?"

This brings me to my point of this post. There has to be an underlying theme to the GMAT as a whole. Studying fundamentals like those presented in the "OG" and in prep courses will only take you so far. If it was a simple as that everyone would "beat the beast." From what I have read the test is basically logic and reasoning and the questions that are presented are merely "puzzle pieces" to be manipulated to show your school of choice your level of thinking. Otherwise this would be an achievement test and mastering the test would rely solely on the subject matter taught in college in our respective majors.

I feel that when the subject matter of the verbal and quant sections is pushed aside there is something that ties them all together. Once this theme is harnessed simply understanding the fundamentals as the GMAC puts it will allow the test taker to show their true potential. Unfortunately, I don't know where to start.

I apologize if this post is more of an open question that a typical study guide but I feel this may open the doors to a true path to GMAT success. I wish you all your best successes on the GMAT and in you careers and I look forward to hearing anyone who responds.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9424 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: What You Talkin' Bout GMAT [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 23:57
Expert's post
How about taking a look here: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

and possibly here: gmat-faq-frequently-asked-questions-about-gmat-75809.html

You can also read some stories here: 700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: What You Talkin' Bout GMAT   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2009, 23:57