Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

whats wrong with me :S

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

whats wrong with me :S [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 19:29
hi...i need major help and advice here...i just started out with my prep have gone thru manhattan RC and powerscore CR. RC is fine ...but after having finished the bible i was very confident about the concepts and the approach that had to be taken but when i tried the questions from OG verbal review it was only a 50% success rate... :(
i m really disappointed and confused and dont know how to modify my approach....as i did the questions i did realize that i was having trouble recognising the kind of question and also the time constraint seemed a lil too much...but even without the timing it didnt do much good :(...also it was one particular kind of question that i kept getting wrong but was actually random....how can i etch the concepts in my head...i really really need a good score..and at this rate i think it be 10 yrs before i get to that :p

plz help!...wasnt sure where to post this messg so if you think its out of place kindly move it ...thnx!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9400 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: whats wrong with me :S [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 20:09
Expert's post
Rejoice that your RC is good - that's very hard to master.

CR can be tricky, esp if you are not thinking the same way the test creator does/did - the key to cracking it is going back and painstakingly reviewing every question you missed or got right by accident. Mark every question you miss and do it over in a week or so, make sure you get it right and notice that subtle difference. Let every error be a scar on your face - as glaring and as memorable.

There are patterns to mistakes/logic in CR - you need to know all of them.

Also, you need to expect the answer choices - are you doing that? Are you answering the question without reading the answer choices?

There is really a ton to learn and you may need to go through the PowerScore CR bible the second time, make notes, and do it very carefully.

That's my 2 cents.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: whats wrong with me :S [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 21:02
hmmm....i think u r rite...i am not stopping to think thru the answer and jump straight to the answer choices...i know everyone has there own way of solving a qs but is there a generic step by step process....for an argument i pick out the premise and conculsion...read the question...at times have to go back to the stimulus and read it in light of the qs...then go straight to the answers...is that rite? i feel i m losing time like that coz i m reading the stimulus twice!! at times also i feel its easy to eliminate the choices but then at others i m just clueless abt all the options.......................aaah need major overhaul!!!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: whats wrong with me :S [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2009, 22:13
Expert's post
So, are you following the strategy from the PowerScore CR book?
It did not tell you to try to answer the question before jumping to answer choices?

Here is what worked for me:
1. Read the question first - know what's asked - don't get into the details as to what it asks, just see if it is a weaken/strengthen/assumption, or smth else.
2. Read the Passage
3. Read the question again
4. Answer the question without reading a single answer choice (VERY IMPORTANT)
5. Skim through the answer choices - until you find a match to what you had in mind (usually a 5-10 sec process for me)
At this point I am usually able to answer 70% of questions
6. If you did not find one that matched your answer, read the answer choices again.
7. If you can't identify the best one. Between the best two, the wrong one will be outside the scope in most cases

That's it. I was able to solve CR's at the speed of 1 or 1.5 mins. The part that makes it fast is answering the question before looking at the answer choices.
I would re-read the passage in only 1 or 2 questions per test - you must be able to function with just one pass.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: whats wrong with me :S [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 01:02
thanks bb!

yeah powerscore does talk abt prephasing but i guess am missing out that step thinking it will save time..but i guess it will also get questions wrong...
i am going over powerscore again...i wish i could practice questions according to the question type...is there a list that categorizes questions in gmat verbal review? i know its better to practice randomly spread out questions but just to make sure i can nail down each question type frst and then work with the randomness...do u think thats a wrong approach?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9400 [1] , given: 3697

Re: whats wrong with me :S [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 01:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
zzxxdd wrote:
thanks bb!

yeah powerscore does talk abt prephasing but i guess am missing out that step thinking it will save time..but i guess it will also get questions wrong...

:lol: amazing how it works.

So, did we figure out what's wrong with you?
Follow the strategy exactly step by step. Don't try to cut corners or outsmart it. It was written by very smart guys - let them do their job.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: whats wrong with me :S [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 09:07
heheeh :oops: will keep that in mind thanks :) will keep u posted on the progress
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: whats wrong with me :S [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 16:45
Expert's post
bb gave very good advice. As test takers, we need to be actively involved in these questions. Anticipating the answer helps reduce time spent on each question and improves your accuracy. Stay on the offense!

But if you still feel uncomfortable, look into Powerscore's Logical Reasoning guide. It's an LSAT book, but some high GMAT scorers swear by it.

Good luck!

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: whats wrong with me :S [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 19:37
bb wrote:
So, are you following the strategy from the PowerScore CR book?
It did not tell you to try to answer the question before jumping to answer choices?

Here is what worked for me:
1. Read the question first - know what's asked - don't get into the details as to what it asks, just see if it is a weaken/strengthen/assumption, or smth else.
2. Read the Passage
3. Read the question again
4. Answer the question without reading a single answer choice (VERY IMPORTANT)
5. Skim through the answer choices - until you find a match to what you had in mind (usually a 5-10 sec process for me)
At this point I am usually able to answer 70% of questions
6. If you did not find one that matched your answer, read the answer choices again.
7. If you can't identify the best one. Between the best two, the wrong one will be outside the scope in most cases

That's it. I was able to solve CR's at the speed of 1 or 1.5 mins. The part that makes it fast is answering the question before looking at the answer choices.
I would re-read the passage in only 1 or 2 questions per test - you must be able to function with just one pass.

I am always in search of such advices by BB. :) I have taken a print of this section, highlighted it and pasted on my room wall under CR section. Best strategy! Kudos!!

BB, it will be great if you can have a same summarized list for RC & SC. (Just a request & a suggestion, otherwise I will search)

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: whats wrong with me :S [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 22:22
Expert's post
Really? Sure - happy to share. This CR strategy was something that Kaplan, MGMAT, and PowerScore recommend - one share or another.

For RC - take a look at this thread: gmat-club-s-reading-comprehension-strategy-guide-83101.html

I will post something about SC in a bit.

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: whats wrong with me :S   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2009, 22:22