Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 09:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for cocaine use, on average only 5 will test positive. By contrast, of every 100 people who have used cocaine 99 will test positive. Thus, when a randomly chosen group of people is tested for cocaine use, the vast majority of those who test positive will be people who have used cocaine.
A reasoning error in the argument is that the argument
(A) attempts to infer a value judgment from purely factual premises
(B) attributes to every member of the population the properties of the average member of the population
(C) fails to take into account what proportion of the population have used cocaine
(D) ignores the fact that some cocaine users do not test positive
(E) advocates testing people for cocaine use when there is no reason to suspect that they have used cocaine
Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 09:18
I would have to sgo with B on this one.

OA?

FACT: Some Japanese "energy drinks" contain trace amounts of Coca leaf extracts that give people a jolt of energy for about $8 a pop.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 09:22
some more inputs & then the OA
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 09:49
B makes sense ...it questions the validity of the sample or study ...are the 100 people representitive of the vast majority
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 11:13
E is irrelevant. A is not correct since any value is given in the conclusion. D is not correct because the argument does take into account the fact that some cocaine users do not test positive. It is said in the conclusion "the vast majority". Between C and B I choose C. Imagine you take 1010 people: 1000 of whom having used cocaine, and 10 of whom not having used cocaine. If we test the group of people not having used cocaine, we will have, on average, 50 positive tests. On the other group, we will have aprox. 9 positive test. Therefore, we will have 59 positive test, 50 from the non-users group and 9 from the users group. The vast majority in this case is not coming from the people who have used cocaine.

My answer is C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 14:02
A?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 15:25
I vote for (B).

A sample group of 100 people cannot represent the whole population.

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 23:48
go C go..
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2005, 23:58
automan wrote:
E is irrelevant. A is not correct since any value is given in the conclusion. D is not correct because the argument does take into account the fact that some cocaine users do not test positive. It is said in the conclusion "the vast majority". Between C and B I choose C. Imagine you take 1010 people: 1000 of whom having used cocaine, and 10 of whom not having used cocaine. If we test the group of people not having used cocaine, we will have, on average, 50 positive tests. On the other group, we will have aprox. 9 positive test. Therefore, we will have 59 positive test, 50 from the non-users group and 9 from the users group. The vast majority in this case is not coming from the people who have used cocaine.

My answer is C.

Very good explanation.

However, (C) would be better if it was about "test groups", not "the population".

(C) fails to take into account what proportion of the population have used cocaine
(C') fails to take into account what proportion of the test group have used cocaine

What do you think?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : cocaine [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 05:58
i'll pick (C) on this one.

Here's why: if the proportion of the population that is tested have 99% people who have not taken cocaine, then you will have results where a majority of those will not have taken cocaine. (Argument falls apart)

On the other hand, if you reverse the proportion to 99% (take coke), then the argument will be true.

So, we need to know what the true proportion of the population is. But we dont have a clue.

Reason for dumping (B): The statement says 'vast majority' (and not EVERY INSTANCE) and therefore does not seem to attribute to every member of the population the properties of the average member of the population. (B) off.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 07:14
thanks...OA is C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : cocaine [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 08:05
C for me coz we don't know the how big the cocaine polulation in this society is. So maybe the fact is not representative at all.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 14:08
gamjatang, the properties of the test group shold be the same that the properties of the population since the test group is randomly chosen.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 14:48
:oops: got this one wrong.

hey ya......

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2005, 15:45
automan wrote:
gamjatang, the properties of the test group shold be the same that the properties of the population since the test group is randomly chosen.

Well...true true.
I missed that point.
Thanks for reminding me. :)

[#permalink] 27 Oct 2005, 15:45