Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 21:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (02:32) correct 27% (01:45) wrong based on 11 sessions
When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for cocaine use, on average only 5 will test positive. By contrast, of every 100 people who have used cocaine 99 will test positive. Thus, when a randomly chosen group of people is tested for cocaine use, the vast majority of those who test positive will be people who have used cocaine.
A reasoning error in the argument is that the argument

(A) attempts to infer a value judgment from purely factual premises
(B) attributes to every member of the population the properties of the average member of the population
(C) fails to take into account what proportion of the population have used cocaine
(D) ignores the fact that some cocaine users do not test positive
(E) advocates testing people for cocaine use when there is no reason to suspect that they have used cocaine.

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 21:51
This post received
KUDOS
nitya34 wrote:
When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for cocaine use, on average only 5 will test positive. By contrast, of every 100 people who have used cocaine 99 will test positive. Thus, when a randomly chosen group of people is tested for cocaine use, the vast majority of those who test positive will be people who have used cocaine.

What value judgment?
(B) attributes to every member of the population the properties of the average member of the population
Yes
(C) fails to take into account what proportion of the population have used cocaine
We are not concerned about the population. Instead we are concerned about the "randomly chosen group of people"
It does not ignore this
(E) advocates testing people for cocaine use when there is no reason to suspect that they have used cocaine.
Out of scope.

With Flaw questions always try to identify the flaw before moving to the answer choices. Here we are told because an average # of a particular group tests positive that the "vast majority of those who test positive will be people who have used cocaine". This is similar to saying since the average GPA in a 3rd year engineer students is a 3.0, the "vast majority" of engineers' GPA is a 3.0. What if 1st year engineer students average a 2.0? or a 4.0? You cannot make a conclusion about the average GPA of all engineer students based on a subset of the class.
This is nicely stated in B.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 129 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 23:56
This post received
KUDOS

Explanation:
-----------------------
(A) attempts to infer a value judgment from purely factual premises ---> In that case, it would have strengthen the argument.

(B) attributes to every member of the population the properties of the average member of the population ---> At the most, this option might strengthen the argument. If everyone shares the same property, the conclusion will strengthen. So, discard it.

---> This looks fine.

The passage discusses about two groups:
Group 1. One in which, on an average, only 5 test positive
Group 2. Other in which 99 test positive.

Conclusion makes a reasoning error in assuming that even if a randomly chosen group is tested, majority of them will be the ones who have used cocaine i.e., they will belong to group 2. This may not necessarily be true.

What if the majority of the randomly chosen group comprises people belonging to group 1? Though they will still test positive, but they will belong to the group that doesn’t use cocaine. In that case, the argument will become weak.

(D) ignores the fact that some cocaine users do not test positive ---> Irrelevant

(E) advocates testing people for cocaine use when there is no reason to suspect that they have used cocaine. ---> Irrelevant.
---------------------

My choice is C.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Technext

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 00:42
nitya34 wrote:

I think it's D.

In C, even if most of the users are included in the group, we can't be too sure whether majority of them will test positive.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 01:34
-IMO
- “properties of average member” is not given.
- Do we really need to know “proportion” of people who took cocaine? This is a study result and mostly concluded the result from factual premises.
- Never ignored such case. 1% is negative
- “Reason of suspect” is OOS

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 01:35
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 129 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 01:48
This post received
KUDOS
Now only option E is left. :)

Any takers?

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 01:55
+1 to you
OA-C

Technext wrote:

Explanation:
-----------------------
(A) attempts to infer a value judgment from purely factual premises ---> In that case, it would have strengthen the argument.

(B) attributes to every member of the population the properties of the average member of the population ---> At the most, this option might strengthen the argument. If everyone shares the same property, the conclusion will strengthen. So, discard it.

---> This looks fine.

Conclusion makes a reasoning error in assuming that even if a randomly chosen group is tested, majority of them will be the ones who have used cocaine i.e., they will belong to group 2. This may not necessarily be true.

What if the majority of the randomly chosen group comprises people belonging to group 1? Though they will still test positive, but they will belong to the group that doesn’t use cocaine. In that case, the argument will become weak.

(D) ignores the fact that some cocaine users do not test positive ---> Irrelevant

(E) advocates testing people for cocaine use when there is no reason to suspect that they have used cocaine. ---> Irrelevant.
---------------------

My choice is C.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Technext

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 236

Kudos [?]: 576 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2009, 23:29
I've seen a few similar questions about 'false positives' and 'false negatives'. You can imagine the following situation:

100 people in Country X use cocaine
1,000,000 people in Country X do not use cocaine

Test all of these people, and 99 of the 100 cocaine users will test positive, while 50,000 of the non-users will test positive. You have 50,099 people in total who test positive, but of those, only 99/50,099 ~ 0.2 % are actually cocaine users.

Without knowing something about cocaine use in the population as a whole, we can't say very much about the people who will test positive. C is certainly the answer.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 19:17
Of the people who do not use cocaine, the false result is 5% whereas the false result of the people who use cocaine is only 1%. If most of the people who were survey are the people who do not use cocaine then the result cant not be trusted
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 23:17
Nice question. C it is ..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 12:08
nice question. agree with C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 291

Re: CR-Cocaine Test [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 21:05
Technext wrote:

Explanation:
-----------------------

---> This looks fine.

---------------------

My choice is C.

Hope that helps.
is that

Regards,
Technext

The OA may be C. I think you have the reasoning wrong. The argument says that of all the people tested randomly, "those who tested positive were cocaine users" what ur saying is that " of all the people tested a majority of them are cocaine users". Pls correct me if I am wrong. I still don't see why C is the answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 397

Re: When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 14:04
nitya34 wrote:

Hi,

For me it is clearly C.

Why? Well because if 99.99999% Of 1000000 of a population never took cocaine but only 100 has. Than (1000000*0.05 = 50000 who did not take drug and you have on the other side 99 who take drug)

Than with this demonstration, the argument is totaly flawed.

You need to take into account the proportion or the part of the population actually taking drugs.

Answer C.

Think outside the box

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 29

CAT Tests
Re: When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 23:44
I choose C.We clearly need to find out the proportion of people who used cocaine in order to infer whether 'the vast majority' actually used it or not.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 8

Re: When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 22:19
nitya34 wrote:

Negate the conclusion:

It is: The vast majority of those who test positive out of a random group of people would not have used cocaine.

Since this a find the flaw question we have to select a choice which can weaken the conclusion .

So let us consider this as a weaken question first and so see which choice offers the best explanation for the negated conclusion.

Choice C because a particular case of it which is , a small proportion of the population take cocaine, offers the best explanation for the negated conclusion.

This is because assume 10000 people are tested . A small proportion of that population be 1% i.e, 100 people take cocaine. 99 of them would test positive. Of the remaining 9900 people 5%, i.e., 445 would test positive. So we see the majority of those who test positive are those who had not used cocaine.
i.e, if

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
sravna@gmail.com

Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com
Online courses and 1-on-1 Online Tutoring for the GMAT and the GRE

Re: When 100 people who have not used cocaine are tested for   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2014, 22:19