Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 14:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce patented technology, the consumer invariably loses. The company that holds the patent can charge exorbitant prices because there is no competition. When the patents expire, other companies are free to manufacture the technology and prices fall. Companies should therefore allow other manufacturers to license patented technology.

The argument above presupposes which of the following?

A. Companies cannot find legal ways to produce technology similar to patented technology.

B. Companies have an obligation to act in the best interest of the consumer.

C. Too many patents are granted to companies that are unwilling to share them.

D. The consumer can tell the difference between patented technology and inferior imitations.

E. Consumers care more about price than about quality.

OA later..
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patented Technology [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 14:51
(A)?

B - There are no hints at 'obligations'
C - Nothing in the passage suggests that too many companies are doing this
D - Nothing suggests that, or otherwise
E - no correlation b/w price and quality

A is true because if another company had a legal way to produce similar technology, then the patent would not be a barrier for competition. The whole problem arises because patenting makes that competition impossible. Therefore, the fact that companies cannot find another way is the cause for the issues mentioned.

gmatcrook wrote:
When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce patented technology, the consumer invariably loses. The company that holds the patent can charge exorbitant prices because there is no competition. When the patents expire, other companies are free to manufacture the technology and prices fall. Companies should therefore allow other manufacturers to license patented technology.

A. Companies cannot find legal ways to produce technology similar to patented technology.

C. Too many patents are granted to companies that are unwilling to share them.

D. The consumer can tell the difference between patented technology and inferior imitations.

E. Consumers care more about price than about quality.

OA later..

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 14:54
Between A & B, I'm leaning towards A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 16:30
Going with A here... both A & B are neck to neck...
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 17:30
If companies had an obligation to act in best consumers' interest they would not ask for patents, and competition would lower the price to serve the consumers better.

A
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 17:43
Nice alternative explanation...

BTW u2lover - so you're a girl. You know - somehow seeing bearded bono as the avatar for a girl ..... doesn't quite match well.... :) :) jus' kidding of course.

u2lover wrote:
If companies had an obligation to act in best consumers' interest they would not ask for patents, and competition would lower the price to serve the consumers better.

A

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 18:00
necromonger wrote:
Nice alternative explanation...

BTW u2lover - so you're a girl. You know - somehow seeing bearded bono as the avatar for a girl ..... doesn't quite match well.... :) :) jus' kidding of course.

u2lover wrote:

A

:lol: I didn't look at it that way... makes sense... I just figured I'd look at BONO myself everyday... will be easy to find my answers... 1 thing I regret is not adding GIRL to my nickname... didn't think gender reference would bother me too much when I started.... and now that GMATClub is almost like a family I feel it is unfair to be a son :lol: ... but yes I am a u2lovergirl :roll:

any way to add girl to the name??? Praetorian, if you're reading, can you do this or is this possible w/out losing my credits??? thanks anyways.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 18:59
This is a MGMAT question and the OA it provides is B.
Even I chose A.

Looking at the OE I feel that they caught the wrong vein of the argument.

The OE it gives is as follows -

The conclusion of the argument is that companies should allow other manufacturers to license patented technology. The basis for that claim is that not doing so keeps prices high and harms the consumer.

(A) This does not address the moral obligation (i.e. “shouldâ€
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 19:04
I see the point, but I had my reason to eliminate B :(

and I feel OE on B doesn't really explain anything... :cry:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 19:08
Very good question...

Chose A but B sounds good...

The evidence talks in favor of the consumer and not the legal ways of production.

So the connector that is the assumption must align with the evidence and the conclusion.

B should be it

Can someone explain the Negation test for the assumtion please?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Patented Technology [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 19:32
I think the answer is clearly B for this question. The whole point of the passage, and the very point of the argument is that prices will drop if patents expire, and lower prices are good. But good for who? The consumer, not the company doing business.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 19:50
I feel the conclusion of the argument is not in support of price drop unless I'm missing anything.

Hence, to avoid the price drop the author wants other manufacturers to license the technology. This way the patents won't expire and the prices won't fall. Thus, inherently the argument assumes that licensing will control the price. In other words, it assumes that Companies cannot find legal ways to produce technology similar to patented technology coz if they could then the price will eventually drop.

Makes sense?
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2006, 20:53
I also chose A. Even if I attempt this question 10 times, I am almost sure that I will select A atleast 9 times.

You may be good if you can decipher the last line of the argument. The conclusion may have multiple meaning. It may be possible that company is doing this to increase the sales by keeping the price low rather than obligation to act in best intrest of customer. I don't think you will find such poorly worded questions in real GMAT.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2006, 03:43
ps_dahiya wrote:
I also chose A. Even if I attempt this question 10 times, I am almost sure that I will select A atleast 9 times.

You may be good if you can decipher the last line of the argument. The conclusion may have multiple meaning. It may be possible that company is doing this to increase the sales by keeping the price low rather than obligation to act in best intrest of customer. I don't think you will find such poorly worded questions in real GMAT.

Dahiya: Thanks man.....it wasnt the questions that are as straight as you find !!
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Patented Technology [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2006, 04:45
This is the argument --->Companies should therefore allow other manufacturers to license patented technology.

Pretty straightforward (B) here. Nice hybrid GMAT/LSAT CR. :-D
Re: CR: Patented Technology   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2006, 04:45