Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 18

Re: CR-Manhattan-Patented technology [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
nitya34 wrote:
When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce patented technology, the consumer invariably loses. The company that holds the patent can charge exorbitant prices because there is no direct competition. When the patent expires, other companies are free to manufacture the technology and prices fall. Companies should therefore allow other manufacturers to license patented technology.

The argument above presupposes which of the following?

(A) Companies cannot find legal ways to produce technology similar to patented technology. => Correct, If companies can find other way to produce technology similar to patented technology, then they will take it. The argument is then weakened.
(B) Companies have an obligation to act in the best interest of the consumer.=> the Word " obligation" makes this choice wrong.
(C) Too many patents are granted to companies that are unwilling to share them.
(D) The consumer can tell the difference between patented technology and inferior imitations.
(E) Consumers care more about price than about quality.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Manhattan-Patented technology [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 17:31
Good question.. A is wrong as it doesn't form a bridge between the premise that consumer is at loss and the conclusion that the companies should allow others to use patented technology.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 302 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Manhattan-Patented technology [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 18:28
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Manhattan-Patented technology [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 21:59
A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 07:31
Good question. Fell for A but now realize that B is the correct answer. Thanks.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 23

Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2011, 09:30
B is the only assumption that is really tied to the conclusion.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2011, 11:45
BN1989 wrote:
B is the only assumption that is really tied to the conclusion.

I went for A too but on second thoughts B sounds an equal contender as well. The only spec of doubt I have on B is that how can we assume that falling prices due to more usage of patented technology act as a precursor to the "best interest" of the consumer. How can we assume what the best interest of the consumer is when nothing is hinted about the same.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 21:33
B
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 09:08
+ 1 B
d logical negative of B weakens the conclusion(in this case d last sentence).

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 09:30
i still dont get it..i opted for A here..coz if other companies can produce it legally, the whole point of this argument goes for a toss..i mean there will be no more monopoly and consumers are happy coz of low prices..
I ill go with A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 00:47
+1 for B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 01:17
I got A, but still B is also not wrong....
I am still confused,

Kudos if any of my post helps you !!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 20:39
Apoorva81 wrote:
i still dont get it..i opted for A here..coz if other companies can produce it legally, the whole point of this argument goes for a toss..i mean there will be no more monopoly and consumers are happy coz of low prices..
I ill go with A

Even I opted for A here but I think B makes more sense as the underlying assumption. The reason is simple:

If a company does not care about its consumers and is concerned only with profits, then it would as well patent the technology for a long time and let the consumer suffer because of the high prices. However, in order to avoid the suffering on the part of its consumers, the company does not actually do so.

If we assume that a company has no obligation at all to any consumer whatsoever, then the company need not act in the best interests of the consumer. Then, the company may charge exorbitant prices for its patented product.

Now, the conclusion says that other manufacturers should be allowed to license patented technology. Ask yourself this question: if a company does not care about its consumers, why is the author asking that other companies be allowed to license patented technology? In short, a company has an obligation towards its consumers. That is why, for the best interests of its consumers, the company should allow other manufacturers to license patented technology so that the prices fall.

Hope this helps.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 06:04
nitya34 wrote:
When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce patented technology, the consumer invariably loses. The company that holds the patent can charge exorbitant prices because there is no direct competition. When the patent expires, other companies are free to manufacture the technology and prices fall. Companies should therefore allow other manufacturers to license patented technology.

(A) Companies cannot find legal ways to produce technology similar to patented technology.
(B) Companies have an obligation to act in the best interest of the consumer.
(D) The consumer can tell the difference between patented technology and inferior imitations.

B

conclusion : companies should allow other manufacturers to license patented technology.
premise : consumers loses because companies holding patent charge in-exorbitant prices in absence of direct competition.
premise : price fall when patent expires.

after going thru the options I narrowed it down to A and B as other options seem out of scope. D& E talks abt consumers preferences, while C talks abt no of patent, again irrelevant to conclusion.

negating A : companies can find legal ways to produce tech. similar to patent. This rules out the possibility tht there is absence of direct competition, thus company is getting higher price becoz of its prod rather thn monopoly in mkt. thsu conclusion falls apart.

similarly negating B : companies do not have an obligation to serve in best interest of customer. so company holding patent can charge higher price and it should not share its patent. again conclusion falls apart.

really close btw A n B .... only thing tht gives edge to B is tht A talks abt similar technology not exactly the same patent.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 113

Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 14:19
"patent expires, other companies are free to manufacture the technology and prices fall".

Does this not imply that since the revenue the companies will make using the technology will decrease once the patient expires, so the companies can rather give license (get money our of licensing) and share the revenue over the period of time and maintain their competitive edge. Hence long term benefit is achieved.

I picked A : :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 22:48
IMO B......

why give priority to consumer than to profit?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 02:43
nice explanation by mysterio..
i also think it to be A but after going thru explanations ...somehow i agree with B ...
but still not very clear,, :|
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 09:09
Companies should therefore allow other manufacturers to license patented technology. WHY?

BECAUSE: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce patented technology, the consumer invariably loses.

AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND

Ultimately, the effect is that the consumer loses.

B work with this causal relationship.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 78

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 03:38
(A) Companies cannot find legal ways to produce technology similar to patented technology.

Which is correct A or B ???

I tried negating the assumptions to check which is the correct answer

(A) Companies can find legal ways to produce technology similar to patented technology.Companies should therefore allow other manufacturers to license patented technology.
Here if companies can find illegal ways then there is no need for companies to license patent technology.

(B) Companies do not have an obligation to act in the best interest of the consumer.Companies should therefore allow other manufacturers to license patented technology.

if companies do not have any obligation then there is no need for companies to license as they will be at loss....

So B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 10:10
mysterio wrote:
nitya34 wrote:

B

conclusion : companies should allow other manufacturers to license patented technology.
premise : consumers loses because companies holding patent charge in-exorbitant prices in absence of direct competition.
premise : price fall when patent expires.

after going thru the options I narrowed it down to A and B as other options seem out of scope. D& E talks abt consumers preferences, while C talks abt no of patent, again irrelevant to conclusion.

negating A : companies can find legal ways to produce tech. similar to patent. This rules out the possibility tht there is absence of direct competition, thus company is getting higher price becoz of its prod rather thn monopoly in mkt. thsu conclusion falls apart.

similarly negating B : companies do not have an obligation to serve in best interest of customer. so company holding patent can charge higher price and it should not share its patent. again conclusion falls apart.

really close btw A n B .... only thing tht gives edge to B is tht A talks abt similar technology not exactly the same patent.

Mysterio,
I agree that 'similar' is the key in the option A which makes option B stronger than A.
Re: When a company refuses to allow other companies to produce   [#permalink] 29 May 2012, 10:10