Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 05:35
+1 for D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 61

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 07:37
source? Not a particularly well written question.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Boston U
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 57

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 11:00
B seems fine. If you eliminate it due to the difference between Survival and Emergence issue, ok, that's right but D is not a good substitute for it. Doesn't it contradict the fact given in the stimulus? In the premises we read that the chances of having large planets in the system to secure emergence of intelligent life is low. However, in choice D it is said that the conclusion is better evaluated if we know about the chances? we ALREADY know and it means the chances are LOW!

Ambition, Motivation and Determination: the three "tion"s that lead to PERFECTION.

World! Respect Iran and Iranians as they respect you! Leave the governments with their own.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 11:07
d
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 16:17
good one..answer is D
Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2011, 04:55
D...

Kaustubh

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 23:59
D

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 03:04
Ans D is talking about the large plannet, it never talk about the survivial of humen life in contrast to option D option B is talking about life/survival.
Premise says that if there are no large planet then chances are low but no zero and if ppl can survive even after comet than there is no need of large planet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 05:37
Stuck in between B And D but D sounds better!

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.53
WE: Other (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 20:57
I opted for B T.T
Gosh! how can I do better in CR??
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 42

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 21:24
IMO D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 05:23
The fundamental problem with B I thought was not that there is a Survival or Emergence issue. The problem was it goes beyond the argument, Hence out of scope. When you have out of scope, answering the question still means that you will have to speculate at some level.

E.g. Even if we knew that the species survived after a large comet attack, how would that help us evaluate whether chance of survival of the remaining species.
Let's say two comets would wipe out the planet but 1 planet allows the species to survive. You would still need to know how many comets are going to hit the planet, right? So, this ambiguity means I can't really say whether statement B helps me assess the chances of survival or emergence of the species on the planet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 05:56
Nice piecemeal analysis by Gixxer1000. Good job.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 75

Re: When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 06:09
I was got stuck between (B) and (D) but after reading the post i could finally understand , hope i don't get stuck on the D-day.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 24

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 12:52
deepakdewani wrote:
Well, B and D clearly are the choices which are worthy of further evaluation on a test day. I chose B but I understand that it is not the perfect choice considering the argument talks of the "emergence" of intelligent life whereas option B talks about survival. Technically, emergence (birth, beginning) is different from survival.

But here's my problem with D: the option says "how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain many large comets". In my view, while the existence of large comets is critical for the conclusion to hold true, nowhere in the argument is there an evidence that "many" large coments are required for a planet to be "frequently struck by large comets". It may well be the case that one or two large comets are responsible for frequent strikes to the Earth. If that is the case, the presence / absence of "many" large coments does not have a bearing on the conclusion. What will make more sense is an aswer choice which states that "how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain any large comets"

Makes sense?

I agree with your assessment and i arrived at the same conclusion.
Choice (D) looks to me like a classic shell answer. One that contains all the right words, but doesn't provide any additional relevant data.
As per the premises, The sole purpose of large planets such as Jupiter and Saturn is to deflect comets. That's the premise. However, we need to understand if the danger from comets is very real, or if it is exaggerated. . Think of it this way. Many countries stock pile nuclear weapons, claiming that these weapons serve as deterrents. So to understand if nuclear weapons are required, one needs to understand if the threat from other countries is real, or an imagined one.

Back to the question...How does it matter, if a planetary system contains many comets, if these comets dont strike the planets which support life.
These comets may be in totally different orbits and may never collide with the planets.

I would agree with (D), if the answer choice was worded as follows
How high are the chances of deadly collisions between comets and the planets.
If the chances are very low, then this implies that the "deflecting services" of the large planets are unnecessary.
If the chances are high, then this implies that the "deflecting services" of the large planets are very necessary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES QUITE A BIT OF TIME AND TO POST DETAILED RESPONSES.
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 12:04
Took some time to zero in on D. The reasoning was similar to a few previous explanations. If there are many large comets then the chances/possibilities of collision increase leading to reduced chances of intelligent life growth.

Good question.

My attempt to capture my B-School Journey in a Blog : tranquilnomadgmat.blogspot.com

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 14

Re: CR - planetary system [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2012, 12:23
deepakdewani wrote:
Well, B and D clearly are the choices which are worthy of further evaluation on a test day. I chose B but I understand that it is not the perfect choice considering the argument talks of the "emergence" of intelligent life whereas option B talks about survival. Technically, emergence (birth, beginning) is different from survival.

But here's my problem with D: the option says "how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain many large comets". In my view, while the existence of large comets is critical for the conclusion to hold true, nowhere in the argument is there an evidence that "many" large coments are required for a planet to be "frequently struck by large comets". It may well be the case that one or two large comets are responsible for frequent strikes to the Earth. If that is the case, the presence / absence of "many" large coments does not have a bearing on the conclusion. What will make more sense is an aswer choice which states that "how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain any large comets"

Makes sense?

I agree....

D also seems weird as comets need not be contained in the planetary system, they could as well come from outside. B is also not very clear, but I thought D was closer
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 06:42
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet capable of supporting life will be formed are high. The chances that a large planet the size of Jupiter or Saturn will be formed, however, are low. Without Jupiter and Saturn, whose gravitational forces have prevented Earth from being frequently struck by large comets, intelligent life would never have arisen on Earth. Since planetary systems are unlikely to contain any large planets, the chances that intelligent life will emerge on a planet are, therefore, low.

Knowing which one of the following would be most useful in evaluating the argument?

(A) whether all planetary systems are formed from similar amounts of matter
(B) whether intelligent species would be likely to survive if a comet struck their planet
(C) whether large comets could be deflected by only one large planet rather than by two
(D) how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain many large comets
(E) how likely it is that planetary systems containing large planets will also contain planets the size of Earth

IMO
D is correct

The reasoning was similar to a few previous explanations. If there are many large comets then the chances/possibilities of collision increase leading to reduced chances of intelligent life growth.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 23:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2014, 23:18