Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [86]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [34]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [31]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Re: When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet capable of su [#permalink]
Kudos
Nice explanation gixxer1000; I gave you (+1).

After going through Premises and answer choices, I overlooked the term 'large comet' and hence ignored choice D as well. Is there any quick mechanical process to get the answer correct while somebody wades through question and still does not get answer?

OA is D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [12]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet capable of su [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Well, B and D clearly are the choices which are worthy of further evaluation on a test day. I chose B but I understand that it is not the perfect choice considering the argument talks of the "emergence" of intelligent life whereas option B talks about survival. Technically, emergence (birth, beginning) is different from survival.

But here's my problem with D: the option says "how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain many large comets". In my view, while the existence of large comets is critical for the conclusion to hold true, nowhere in the argument is there an evidence that "many" large coments are required for a planet to be "frequently struck by large comets". It may well be the case that one or two large comets are responsible for frequent strikes to the Earth. If that is the case, the presence / absence of "many" large coments does not have a bearing on the conclusion. What will make more sense is an aswer choice which states that "how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain any large comets"

Makes sense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Conclusion : Since planetary systems are unlikely to contain any large planets, the chances that intelligent life will emerge on a planet are, therefore, low. -------->
Since the chances of large planets are low. That means we have less Jupiters and Saturns that deflect the comet. The argument rests on the number of comets in the planetary system. The more the comets the faster the extinction of the intelligent life. :-D

B is out of whack LOLs. I hope that never happens.

(C) whether large comets could be deflected by only one large planet rather than be two ---> OUT for the reason above

(D) how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain many large comets ----> Yes this is essential to the argument. In the absence or less Jupiters and Saturns we need to evaluate the probability or the number of comets in the planetary system which are in collision course with the intelligent planets such as Earth.

(E) how likely it is that planetary systems containing large planets will also contain planets the size of Earth -----> This evaluation is useless. The argument rests on the number of comets NOT on the number of intelligent planets.

jananijayakumar wrote:
What's the OA? I'm completely lost...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
The fundamental problem with B I thought was not that there is a Survival or Emergence issue. The problem was it goes beyond the argument, Hence out of scope. When you have out of scope, answering the question still means that you will have to speculate at some level.

E.g. Even if we knew that the species survived after a large comet attack, how would that help us evaluate whether chance of survival of the remaining species.
Let's say two comets would wipe out the planet but 1 planet allows the species to survive. You would still need to know how many comets are going to hit the planet, right? So, this ambiguity means I can't really say whether statement B helps me assess the chances of survival or emergence of the species on the planet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 746 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Schools: IIM A '15 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
deepakdewani wrote:
Well, B and D clearly are the choices which are worthy of further evaluation on a test day. I chose B but I understand that it is not the perfect choice considering the argument talks of the "emergence" of intelligent life whereas option B talks about survival. Technically, emergence (birth, beginning) is different from survival.

But here's my problem with D: the option says "how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain many large comets". In my view, while the existence of large comets is critical for the conclusion to hold true, nowhere in the argument is there an evidence that "many" large coments are required for a planet to be "frequently struck by large comets". It may well be the case that one or two large comets are responsible for frequent strikes to the Earth. If that is the case, the presence / absence of "many" large coments does not have a bearing on the conclusion. What will make more sense is an aswer choice which states that "how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain any large comets"

Makes sense?

I agree with your assessment and i arrived at the same conclusion.
Choice (D) looks to me like a classic shell answer. One that contains all the right words, but doesn't provide any additional relevant data.
As per the premises, The sole purpose of large planets such as Jupiter and Saturn is to deflect comets. That's the premise. However, we need to understand if the danger from comets is very real, or if it is exaggerated. . Think of it this way. Many countries stock pile nuclear weapons, claiming that these weapons serve as deterrents. So to understand if nuclear weapons are required, one needs to understand if the threat from other countries is real, or an imagined one.

Back to the question...How does it matter, if a planetary system contains many comets, if these comets dont strike the planets which support life.
These comets may be in totally different orbits and may never collide with the planets.

I would agree with (D), if the answer choice was worded as follows
How high are the chances of deadly collisions between comets and the planets.
If the chances are very low, then this implies that the "deflecting services" of the large planets are unnecessary.
If the chances are high, then this implies that the "deflecting services" of the large planets are very necessary.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [4]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet capable of supporting life will be formed are high. The chances that a large planet the size of Jupiter or Saturn will be formed, however, are low. Without Jupiter and Saturn, whose gravitational forces have prevented Earth from being frequently struck by large comets, intelligent life would never have arisen on Earth. Since planetary systems are unlikely to contain any large planets, the chances that intelligent life will emerge on a planet are, therefore, low.

Knowing which one of the following would be most useful in evaluating the argument?

(A) whether all planetary systems are formed from similar amounts of matter
(B) whether intelligent species would be likely to survive if a comet struck their planet
(C) whether large comets could be deflected by only one large planet rather than by two
(D) how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain many large comets
(E) how likely it is that planetary systems containing large planets will also contain planets the size of Earth

Good question !!!

Most of the confusion is between B and D.

B is a trap !!

Although B looks fine but subtly diverges from the conclusion. Conclusion is about emergence of intelligent life not about survival of intelligent life. OK granted that the intelligent species will not survive if a comet struck BUT that ACTUALLY proves that the intelligent life did emerge ( because then only it can be annihilated. How can you annihilate something that did not exist in the first place. 8-) 8-) 8-) ) . Same argument cane be made for the case in which the intelligent life will survive the catastrophe.

Now the game changer D. :idea: :idea:

The argument tells us that the BIG planets affect chances of the emergence of intelligent life on a planet because the biggies help deflect the monster comets.

But what if there are no large comets in the planetary system?Do we still require large planets in such a situation? If there are no monster comets then the chances are high.
that intelligent life will emerge.
What if the planetary system is likely to have large comets? Oh yes..then we do we need planets to deflect these monsters to help intelligent life emerge.

The requirement to have LARGE planets is useful only if there are large comets in the planetary system.

Hope the above helps!!

I do not mind Kudos :-D :-D :-D :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
When a planetary system forms, the chances that a planet capable of supporting life will be formed are high. The chances that a large planet the size of Jupiter or Saturn will be formed, however, are low. Without Jupiter and Saturn, whose gravitational forces have prevented Earth from being frequently struck by large comets, intelligent life would never have arisen on Earth. Since planetary systems are unlikely to contain any large planets, the chances that intelligent life will emerge on a planet are, therefore, low.

Knowing which one of the following would be most useful in evaluating the argument?
---------------
What is good in "evaluating" questions, you can answer any option (that seems good to you, or really any option) in two opposite ways and see if they give the opposite effects. If yes, it will probaly be the answer.

(A) whether all planetary system are formed from similar amounts of matter
Well. It gives us absolutely nothing. We can make of course very far speculations, but reall out of scope

(B) whether intelligent species would be likely to survive if a comet struck their planet
Sounds good. If intelligent species can survive after a strike of a comet, then all is ok, if they can not survive, then all is not ok. Perfect. But!
What if after the first strike it is he second onem the third, ...?
Suppose that that the probability of intelligent species to survive after comet's strike is 90%. Ok. 1st strike ---> we have 90% chance of survival - it is big (actually not, but lets say it is big, for our purposes)
But if it is 10 strikes in 100 years for example. The probability that none of these stikes will destroy the life wil be 0.9*0.9*...0.9 (10 times) = 34,8678% - does not sond very good
Lets keep it (but it is already pretty clear that it will unlikely be the right answer) and see other options.

(C) whether large comets could be deflected by only one large planet rather than be two
Speculations. Does not matter. The most interesting case for us (the only one) is the case when we do not have large planets-protectors at all.

(D) how high the chances are that planetary systems will contain many large comets
This is very good. It eliminate the issue of C.
If there a lot of of large comets in the planetary system, then eventually some of them will strike the "intelligent" planet and eventually will kill the life here (if it is pretty large)
If there a small amount of large comets in the planetary system, then maybe even none of them ever will hurt the planet, or if it eventually does, maybe it will not kill the life (the small comets can hot the planet on a regular basis, it will not have much effect)

(E) how likely it is that planetary systems containing large planets will also contain planets the size of Earth
Absolutely irrelevant. The passage itself supposes that there is a planet of Earth's size. So this option even contradicts the passge

So, D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I still am not sure why option B is not correct. The way i see it if the species survival is key & this seems to address the issue directly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Kudos
lazybee wrote:
I still am not sure why option B is not correct. The way i see it if the species survival is key & this seems to address the issue directly.

The fight was between B and D. Both may seem correct at first, however, a small detail that B does not consider makes it a bad option. B takes into account ALL the comets be it a small one or a large one.

Quote:
whether intelligent species would be likely to survive if a comet struck their planet

The biggest mistake would be to assume that 'a comet' refers to the one in question.

Option D, on the other hand, says
Quote:

It clearly refers to the type of comets in consideration.

A reason that made me tend towards B was that D says there could be places where there are no/few comets, but that defies cosmological logic - THIS REQUIRES YOU TO MAKE AN ASSUMPTION - INCORRECT ON THE GMAT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
gixxer1000 wrote:
I get D.

Premise: the chances that a planet capable of supporting life will be formed are high.

Premise: The chances that a large planet the size of Jupiter or Saturn will be formed, however, are low.

Premise: Without Jupiter and Saturn, whose gravitational forces have prevented Earth from being frequently struck by large comets, intelligent life would never have arisen on Earth.

Conclusion: Since planetary systems are unlikely to contain any large planets, the chances that intelligent life will emerge on a planet are, therefore, low.

The conclusion of the argument is based on the facts that large planets are needed to pull large comets away from the smaller planets that can support life. If there are no comets to pull away then the conclusion fails.

Why do we think comets can only come from inside the same planetary system, why not outside?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
deepakdewani wrote:

Makes sense?

To anyone who thinks the use of "many" in option D is a problem or a reason to be confused.
"Many" is not a definitive word like "Most" - which means 50%+
One shouldn't spend too much energy on such details.
"Many" merely means a good, decent amount/number.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:

(C) whether large comets could be deflected by only one large planet rather than by two

Trying the YES/NO test on (B),

If YES, intelligent species would survive if a comet struck their planet,
then yes, there is a good chance that intelligent species will emerge.

But If NO, intelligent species would NOT survive if a comet struck their planet
even then, there is STILL a possibility that intelligent species will emerge.
We have to understand that the survival of EXISTING INTELLIGENT SPECIES and emergence of NEW INTELLIGENT SPECIES are different.

For e.g. After the extinction of dinosaurs (cretaceous era), many new species of mammals/plants appeared.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/10 ... saurs-died
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I am thinking what if in Option B, the word "comet" is replaced by "large comet". What would be the answer in that case?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Here’s my issue:

If the conclusion assumes that the chances are low, and we can prove that chances chances are high then that would break down the conclusion. B does just that. Earth was never struck by a large comet because the two planets deflect the comets hence life emerges. What if life emerged on those other planets, but they were struck by comets and didn’t survive? We would never know that life did in fact exist there hence it emerged at one point.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
sislam04 wrote:
Here’s my issue:

If the conclusion assumes that the chances are low, and we can prove that chances chances are high then that would break down the conclusion. B does just that. Earth was never struck by a large comet because the two planets deflect the comets hence life emerges. What if life emerged on those other planets, but they were struck by comets and didn’t survive? We would never know that life did in fact exist there hence it emerged at one point.

Posted from my mobile device

The argument talks about the emergence of intelligent life, whereas option B talks about the survival of intelligent life. Even if the answer to the question posed by option B is - yes, intelligent species can definitely survive if a comet struck their planet because of XYZ reasons (intelligence, tech, development, etc), we still wouldn't know if such life forms would be able to emerge in the first place.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
The word "arise" in the prompt helps me eliminate "B" when considering between "B" and "D"
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

When would it be possible that such a conclusion holds.
I eliminated all but D and E. Fell for E eventually.

As per passage:
large planets' gravitational forces(A) ----> prevents planets from being frequently struck by large comets(B) ----> no intelligent life(C).

Conclusion is
No A ----> No C

Hence, we have two things to focus upon - existence of large comets or existence of large planets.
While C has something related to one of the two, it diverts from the focus by asking irrelevant thing. E also has given something midway loses focus to planets of similar size to that of earth.

Thus, only D is left.

Answer D.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts