Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [3] , given: 4

When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 03:16
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

79% (02:05) correct 21% (01:02) wrong based on 470 sessions
When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no reflection on the examinee.Rather,such a judgement means that the test has failed to show whether the examinee was truthful or untruthful.Nevertheless,employers will sometimes refuse to hire a job applicant because of an inconclusive polygraph test result.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?
1. Most examinees with inconclusive polygraph test results are infact untruthful.
2. Polygraph tests should not be used by employers in the consideration of job applicants.
3. An inconclusive polygraph test result is sometimes unfairly held against the examinee.
4. A polygraph test indicating that an examinee is untruthful can sometimes be mistaken.
5. Some employers have refused to consider the results of polygraph tests when evaluating job applicants.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polygraph Test [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 04:22
Its C
"An inconclusive polygraph test result is sometimes unfairly held against the examinee."

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Polygraph Test [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 10:59
For me it was a tough fight between B & C.

Can somebody explain how to eliminate B.
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polygraph Test [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 01:56
ans should be definitely C.
B is too extreme by using word "should not"
nitindas wrote:

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Polygraph Test [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 07:04
Answer should be C.

@nitindas
Answer B talks about polygraph test results in general, while the argument only states that inconclusive results should not be used. So while employers should not consider inconclusive polygraph test results there is no reason why they should not take into account when an employee conclusively lied in such a test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Polygraph Test [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 07:46
It was down to C and E for me

I chose E because the use of 'unfair' makes C dicey. The argument clearly says that only 'sometimes' employers refuse to hire when the results of the tests are inconclusive. Now, nothing in the argument says 'that these rejected applicants were in fact truthful', making this judgment unfair

On the other hand, E, while stating that 'sometimes employers have refused to consider the test results in deciding the worthiness of an applicant', re-states the last sentence of the argument

Can anyone explain why E is incorrect?

Cheers,
Unplugged
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Polygraph Test [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 06:28
@unplugged

Answer E is def. not right since in the text there is no hint that some employers have refused to consider the results of polygraph tests.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 0

Re: Polygraph Test [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
C for me
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 325

Kudos [?]: 695 [4] , given: 11

Re: Polygraph Test [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

You seem to have gotten to the right answer here without too much trouble, but for those who struggled, I'd like to remind you that this is a sub-category of CR questions called "Draw a Conclusion". The rules surrounding these types of questions are very straightforward: DO NOT MAKE ANY LEAPS OF LOGIC and DO NOT BRING IN YOUR OWN INFORMATION. Everything has to come from what's written (though it will always come paraphrased, so you can't play the "matching game").

Conclusion: No conclusion in Draw a Conclusion questions

Premises: Inconclusive test fails to show truth or untruth. Some employers refuse to hire someone with an inconclusive test.

1. Most examinees with inconclusive polygraph test results are infact untruthful.
Problem: We aren't told anything about how often people do or do not lie, so we can't assume this.

2. Polygraph tests should not be used by employers in the consideration of job applicants.
Problem: Even though this seems like an entirely logical thing to conclude, given the evidence, it is too much of a leap. The passage DOES NOT tell us what should or should not happen in terms of the test.

3. An inconclusive polygraph test result is sometimes unfairly held against the examinee.
Answer: There's no logical "fair" reason to refuse to employ someone with an inconclusive test, so we can assume this directly from what we've been told.

4. A polygraph test indicating that an examinee is untruthful can sometimes be mistaken.
Answer: This is a great example of a "previous knowledge" trap. All of us know (from watching Law & Order) that polygraph tests are not always correct. But is that mentioned anywhere in the passage? No.

5. Some employers have refused to consider the results of polygraph tests when evaluating job applicants.
Answer: Much like D, this would be a logical thing to conclude in real life (some employers must choose to ignore these results if they know they don't tell you much).

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2013, 19:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

Re: When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 00:07
IMO C
Reason: A conclusion should always be true.

Premise 1: Sometimes machine do not work properly and give inconclusive results. Means match tie.
Premise 2: employers will sometimes refuse to hire a job applicant because of an inconclusive polygraph test result.

It is possible, but not always. Sometimes it may be truthful.

A conclusion can never be a suggestion. The word "Should".

Yes true. this is a combined result of premise 1 and premise 2.

Yes true, but sometime. Examinee can be truthful in an inconclusive test result and this choice do not address premise 2.

I am not concern what some employer did.

Hope this helps!
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 238

CAT Tests
Re: Polygraph Test [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 03:00
nitindas wrote:

B is out of scope. The gmat question makers knows that our Intelligence will tell us that Employers should not use such Criteria.

But that is out of scope beacsue no such things is mentioned in the premise. all though it look obvious but it is out of scope based on the Limited information premises are providing.

We have to reason critically based on information based in passage not on the Information that seems logical and obvious to our ears and Intelligence. Hope it helps.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 46

Re: When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 20:46
nitindas wrote:
When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no reflection on the examinee.Rather,such a judgement means that the test has failed to show whether the examinee was truthful or untruthful.Nevertheless,employers will sometimes refuse to hire a job applicant because of an inconclusive polygraph test result.

Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?

MUST BE TRUE BASED ON STIMULUS-------
SINCE TEST IS NOT CONCLUSIVE....TO PRESUME THAT THE APPLICANT MAY( WITHOUT FAIR JUDGEMENT) HAVE BEEN UNTRUTHFUL IS UNFAIR....
HENCE "C"......
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1479

CAT Tests
Re: When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no [#permalink] New post 17 May 2014, 12:33
This reminds me of the pregnancy question in the PowerScore CR Bible in the Must Be True chapter. It seems that some of their questions are GMATPrep questions with some modifications.

Reasoning:

A: Not mentioned in stimulus.
B: Whether it should be used is not mentioned in stimulus.
C: Must be true, because an honest applicant with an inconclusive polygraph test will be denied hiring.
D: Untruthful polygraph tests are not part of the stimulus.
E: Employer refusal to consider results is not part of the stimulus.

D is especially tricky, because just one word (untruthful) makes it an out of scope answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 15:32
I was down to B vs. C, but C seemed pretty obvious. The previous posts didn't quite bring this out, so I am adding my explanation.

B - Polygraph tests should not be used by employers in the consideration of job applicants.
This one is tempting, but you MUST keep in mind what the passage is talking about. Is it polygraph tests resuts? NO! It is inconclusive polygraph tests results.
I myself miss questions in strengthen/weaken when I lose sight of small details in the conclusion (polygraphs vs. inconclusive polygraphs). It's easy to miss that distinction, which is why you're being tested on it.
For this question, Catching that distinction is the key for eliminating B.

What if the polygraph tests are conclusive, and say that the applicant sucks or that he's telling the truth? The passage offers no thoughts on that. The author's focus is only on inconclusive tests

C - An inconclusive polygraph test result is sometimes unfairly held against the examinee.
C is tricky - it involves bringing in a very small assumption (the assumption being that inconclusive polygraph tests are unfair). Since inference questions are supposed to stick extremely close to the text, I get nervous when I require assumptions on inference questions. Still, this is a small assumption, and everything looked right, and I was down to B vs. C.

I felt like the unfairness aspect is a small leap given the author's tone in the passage. I felt like this leap is much smaller than the leap of riding off an entire polygraph test.
FYI - the author's tone is indicated by phrases like "this is no reflection on the examinee", and "nevertheless".

So, I chose C. Hope that makes sense.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 19:13
warriorsquared wrote:
I was down to B vs. C, but C seemed pretty obvious. The previous posts didn't quite bring this out, so I am adding my explanation.

B - Polygraph tests should not be used by employers in the consideration of job applicants.
This one is tempting, but you MUST keep in mind what the passage is talking about. Is it polygraph tests resuts? NO! It is inconclusive polygraph tests results.
I myself miss questions in strengthen/weaken when I lose sight of small details in the conclusion (polygraphs vs. inconclusive polygraphs). It's easy to miss that distinction, which is why you're being tested on it.
For this question, Catching that distinction is the key for eliminating B.

What if the polygraph tests are conclusive, and say that the applicant sucks or that he's telling the truth? The passage offers no thoughts on that. The author's focus is only on inconclusive tests

C - An inconclusive polygraph test result is sometimes unfairly held against the examinee.
C is tricky - it involves bringing in a very small assumption (the assumption being that inconclusive polygraph tests are unfair). Since inference questions are supposed to stick extremely close to the text, I get nervous when I require assumptions on inference questions. Still, this is a small assumption, and everything looked right, and I was down to B vs. C.

I felt like the unfairness aspect is a small leap given the author's tone in the passage. I felt like this leap is much smaller than the leap of riding off an entire polygraph test.
FYI - the author's tone is indicated by phrases like "this is no reflection on the examinee", and "nevertheless".

So, I chose C. Hope that makes sense.

Hi,

Your explanation for option B is awesome.

However, in option C, either you haven't stated what you want to state or you are slightly mistaken. We don't need the assumption "Inconclusive polygraph tests are unfair". The only thing we can say within the context is that we need to assume "The current use of inconclusive polygraph tests is sometimes unfair". However, this assumption, if I expand the meaning of current use, is close to no-assumption.

Currently, sometimes people whom we don't know anything about (since inconclusive polygraph tests don't tells us anything) are denied job just because the test failed to tell anything about them. Now, isn't this unfair, in common sense? Are you fair to that person by denying him the job even though you don't know anything about the person?

So, the only assumption you need in option C is "Denying a person job without knowing anything about the person is unfair". Now, one may choose to call it assumption or one use of the word "unfair".

AEL
Re: When a polygraph test is judged inconclusive,there is no   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2014, 19:13