When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped : GMAT Data Sufficiency (DS)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 09 Dec 2016, 15:38
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [3] , given: 0

When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2003, 06:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:08) correct 29% (01:11) wrong based on 379 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped around the curved surface of a solid circular cylinder with its shorter ends overlapping, it exactly covers the curved surface. What is the volume of the cylinder in cubic centimeters, if the thickness of the label is ignored?

(1) The label overlap is 0.5 centimeter.
(2) The width of the label is 7.5 centimeters.

My answer to this question was correct but just wondering if you guys see some discrepancy in this problem like I did. Let me know what you guys think, I'll post my observation later. :-D
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2003, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
Volume of a cylinder= Base * height
To find the base, all we need is the radius, diameter, or circumference.

A tells us the circumference, but not the height.
B tells us the height, but not the circumference.

Both together seem sufficient.

if you guys see some discrepancy in this problem like I did
Nope. I hate it when I miss the discrepancy!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2003, 10:47
answer: C

volume = pi*r^2*h
a) circumference 2*pi*r = 21
will get r
b) width of label = h

together these are sufficient
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2003, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
Ok first of all, I see discrepancy in the problem where it says "it exactly covers the curved surface" yet Statement (1) says it overlaps 0.5 cm.

I got the answer correct but if you really think about it, we don't really need to consider Statement (1) if it weren't for the discrepancy. We know the height of the label from the actual question, all we need is the width, which is provided by Statement (2). So the logically correct answer should be B, not C. The stupidity in Statement (1) makes it important here. Amazing...
:drunk :toilet
CEO
CEO
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 855 [0], given: 781

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2003, 00:02
wonder_gmat wrote:
Ok first of all, I see discrepancy in the problem where it says "it exactly covers the curved surface" yet Statement (1) says it overlaps 0.5 cm.

I got the answer correct but if you really think about it, we don't really need to consider Statement (1) if it weren't for the discrepancy. We know the height of the label from the actual question, all we need is the width, which is provided by Statement (2). So the logically correct answer should be B, not C. The stupidity in Statement (1) makes it important here. Amazing...

wonder..

where'd you get this question

you get B?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2003, 06:05
praetorian123 wrote:
wonder_gmat wrote:

wonder..

where'd you get this question

you get B?

I got it from GMATPlus. Well I would have answered B to be logically correct but after seeing the detail in Statement (1), I answered C. And it is correct, the OA is C. But I think this is just a stupid question... trying to play the word games.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q0 V
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 582 [0], given: 355

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2014, 05:47
wonder_gmat wrote:
When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped around the curved surface of a solid circular cylinder with its shorter ends overlapping, it exactly covers the curved surface. What is the volume of the cylinder in cubic centimeters, if the thickness of the label is ignored?

My answer to this question was correct but just wondering if you guys see some discrepancy in this problem like I did. Let me know what you guys think, I'll post my observation later. :-D

We are asked to find the volume. We need to know the radius and the height.

We know that 2 (pi) r h = 21.5
But we need two things:
1) We have the overlap issue
2) We need to know the split between r and h since it will affect our volume formula

Let's hit the statements

1: This solves the overlap stuff, but we are missing the split
2: Solves the split but doesn't tell me about the overlap

Looks like its going to be a C here

Hope it helps
J
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 562

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2015, 10:37
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 3: Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 165

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 20:41
Volume = Pi * r * r * H

r = radius
H =height

Statement 1 gives the radius. No height. Insuff.

Statement 2 gives the height. No radius. Insuff.

Both together : Sufficient Hence, C

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2016, 22:43
wonder_gmat wrote:

what is meant by ' with its shorter ends overlapping'..... does it mean width
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GMAT 2: 760 Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [2] , given: 6

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Anila,

With a rectangle, you will have two longer sides and two shorter sides. When the rectangular sticker is wrapped around the cylinder, it is done in such a way that the long sides wrap the circumference of the cylinder, and the short sides line up with the height of the cylinder. Because the long sides of the sticker are longer than the circumference of the cylinder, the sticker will overlap itself. When the problem states "... with its shorter ends overlapping...", it means that the short sides of the cylinder will overlap as per the diagram below.

Attachment:
Cylinder Sticker.png
Cylinder Sticker.png [ 8.03 KiB | Viewed 1445 times ]

Let me know if it's still unclear.

Cheers

Dave de Koos
GMAT aficionado

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2016, 22:24
davedekoos wrote:
Hi Anila,

With a rectangle, you will have two longer sides and two shorter sides. When the rectangular sticker is wrapped around the cylinder, it is done in such a way that the long sides wrap the circumference of the cylinder, and the short sides line up with the height of the cylinder. Because the long sides of the sticker are longer than the circumference of the cylinder, the sticker will overlap itself. When the problem states "... with its shorter ends overlapping...", it means that the short sides of the cylinder will overlap as per the diagram below.

Attachment:
Cylinder Sticker.png

Let me know if it's still unclear.

Cheers

thank u.. its clear now :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 471

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2016, 08:20
wonder_gmat wrote:

Can someone explain how C is correct answer!!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 09:43
Volume is 2 * pi * (radius)^2 * height of cylinder.

here height of cylinder will be the length of the rectangular sheet. We need the radius which, when visualized using the question steam, would be width of the rectangular sheet that wraps the cylinder /2. But since the wrap is completed only after a certain extent of overlap we need both statements as one gives overlap and another the width.

Radius = (width of rectangular sheet - overlap) / 2

hence we need both the statements => Choice C.
Re: When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped   [#permalink] 01 Jun 2016, 09:43