Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2003, 06:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:05) correct 31% (01:08) wrong based on 64 sessions
When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped around the curved surface of a solid circular cylinder with its shorter ends overlapping, it exactly covers the curved surface. What is the volume of the cylinder in cubic centimeters, if the thickness of the label is ignored?

(1) The label overlap is 0.5 centimeter.
(2) The width of the label is 7.5 centimeters.

My answer to this question was correct but just wondering if you guys see some discrepancy in this problem like I did. Let me know what you guys think, I'll post my observation later. :-D
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2003, 07:44
Volume of a cylinder= Base * height
To find the base, all we need is the radius, diameter, or circumference.

A tells us the circumference, but not the height.
B tells us the height, but not the circumference.

Both together seem sufficient.

if you guys see some discrepancy in this problem like I did
Nope. I hate it when I miss the discrepancy!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2003, 10:47
answer: C

volume = pi*r^2*h
a) circumference 2*pi*r = 21
will get r
b) width of label = h

together these are sufficient
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2003, 12:48
Ok first of all, I see discrepancy in the problem where it says "it exactly covers the curved surface" yet Statement (1) says it overlaps 0.5 cm.

I got the answer correct but if you really think about it, we don't really need to consider Statement (1) if it weren't for the discrepancy. We know the height of the label from the actual question, all we need is the width, which is provided by Statement (2). So the logically correct answer should be B, not C. The stupidity in Statement (1) makes it important here. Amazing...
:drunk :toilet
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 668 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2003, 00:02
wonder_gmat wrote:
Ok first of all, I see discrepancy in the problem where it says "it exactly covers the curved surface" yet Statement (1) says it overlaps 0.5 cm.

I got the answer correct but if you really think about it, we don't really need to consider Statement (1) if it weren't for the discrepancy. We know the height of the label from the actual question, all we need is the width, which is provided by Statement (2). So the logically correct answer should be B, not C. The stupidity in Statement (1) makes it important here. Amazing...

wonder..

where'd you get this question

you get B?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2003, 06:05
praetorian123 wrote:
wonder_gmat wrote:

wonder..

where'd you get this question

you get B?

I got it from GMATPlus. Well I would have answered B to be logically correct but after seeing the detail in Statement (1), I answered C. And it is correct, the OA is C. But I think this is just a stupid question... trying to play the word games.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 05:47
wonder_gmat wrote:
When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped around the curved surface of a solid circular cylinder with its shorter ends overlapping, it exactly covers the curved surface. What is the volume of the cylinder in cubic centimeters, if the thickness of the label is ignored?

(1) The label overlap is 0.5 centimeter.
(2) The width of the label is 7.5 centimeters.

My answer to this question was correct but just wondering if you guys see some discrepancy in this problem like I did. Let me know what you guys think, I'll post my observation later. :-D

We are asked to find the volume. We need to know the radius and the height.

We know that 2 (pi) r h = 21.5
But we need two things:
1) We have the overlap issue
2) We need to know the split between r and h since it will affect our volume formula

Let's hit the statements

1: This solves the overlap stuff, but we are missing the split
2: Solves the split but doesn't tell me about the overlap

Looks like its going to be a C here

Hope it helps
J
Re: When a rectangular label, 21.5 centimeters long, is wrapped   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2014, 05:47