Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 09:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (01:56) correct 21% (02:23) wrong based on 9 sessions
When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without deterring many price-sensitive passengers, it is an encouraging sign for the health of the airline industry.

(A) When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without deterring many price-sensitive passengers

(B) When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without deterring many passengers who are price-sensitive

(C) When airline carriers may raise fares significantly without it acting as a deterrent to many price-sensitive passengers

(D) When airline carriers may raise fares significantly without it deterring many price-sensitive passengers

(E) When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without it deterring many price-sensitive passengers
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 25 Feb 2014, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
added the OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: Price-sensitive [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 10:01
Confused between A and E. I would go with A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Price-sensitive [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 11:19
not very sure,but i would have gone with E.

"may increase ...... is a sign of " doesnt sound correct.

without "it" deterring, because price increase is deterring passengers, not airline carriers.
both these conditions are satisfied only in E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Price-sensitive [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 11:33
skim wrote:
When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without deterring many price-sensitive passengers, it is an encouraging sign for the health of the airline industry.

(A) When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without deterring many price-sensitive passengers
(B) When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without deterring many passengers who are price-sensitive
(C) When airline carriers may raise fares significantly without it acting as a deterrent to many price-sensitive passengers
(D) When airline carriers may raise fares significantly without it deterring many price-sensitive passengers
(E) When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare increase without it deterring many price-sensitive passengers

Looks like a question of clarity and concision. I would go with (A) - the most concise choice, one which has no particular grammatical flaws.

(B) "many passengers who are" is an unnecessarily wordy choice, especially compared to (A).
(C) & (D) I think the phrase "may raise" changes the meaning of the sentence. The original meaning suggests that airlines "HAVE THE CAPABILITY" to do something, it does not discuss the likelihood of that "something" being done. The phrase "may raise" on the other hand, might have that implication, so both choices are less clear than the original. Furthermore, "it acting..." & "it deterring..." are wordy phrases.
(E) Again, "It deterring..." is wordy.
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Price-sensitive [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 23:16
I will go with A for clarity.

can we say that using 'it' creates ambiguity for the second 'it' in the not underlined part and also the reason of eliminating E.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Re: Price-sensitive [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 06:38
sudeep wrote:
I will go with A for clarity.

can we say that using 'it' creates ambiguity for the second 'it' in the not underlined part and also the reason of eliminating E.

Your observations are point on. Do refer to the official explanation for choice (E).
Manager
Manager

Re: Price-sensitive [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2009, 06:40
Dear All,

I agree with choice (A). The official explanation is as follows:

The meaning of the original sentence is clear: If passengers are not deterred by a significant fare increase, the airline industry must be doing well. The original sentence also uses concise language ("price-sensitive passengers") to make its point. Additionally, the pronoun "it" in the original sentence clearly refers to the fact that passengers are not deterred by a significant fare increase.

(A) CORRECT. This choice is correct as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice incorrectly replaces the concise phrase "price-sensitive passengers" with the wordy alternative "passengers who are price-sensitive."

(C) In this choice, the pronoun "it" is used initially to refer to a fare increase. In the non-underlined
portion of the sentence, a second "it" is used to refer not to a fare increase, but to the fact that a fare increase does not deter price-sensitive passengers. The use of the pronoun "it" is incorrect in this answer choice as it causes the antecedent to be unclear for the second "it" in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. Also, "acting as a deterrent" is unnecessarily wordy, and the use of the term "may raise" suggests that the airlines are being given permission to increase their fares.

(D) In this choice, the pronoun "it" is used initially to refer to a fare increase. In the non-underlined portion of the sentence, a second "it" is used to refer not to a fare increase, but to the fact that a fare increase does not deter price-sensitive passengers. The use of the pronoun "it" is incorrect in this answer choice as it causes the antecedent to be unclear for the second "it" in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. Also, the use of the term "may raise" suggests that the airlines are being given permission to increase their fares.

(E) In this choice, the pronoun "it" is used initially to refer to a fare increase. In the non-underlined portion of the sentence, a second "it" is used to refer not to a fare increase, but to the fact that a fare increase does not deter price-sensitive passengers. The use of the pronoun "it" is incorrect in this answer choice as it causes the antecedent to be unclear for the second "it" in the non-underlined portion of the sentence.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 122

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 05:46
Here "it" is a pronoun in non underlined portion and as per my understanding it must refer back to an antecedent.

explanation says:
"it" in the original sentence clearly refers to the fact that passengers are not deterred by a significant fare increase.

I think it refers to "a significant fare increase "

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: When airline carriers are able to impose a significant fare   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2014, 05:46