Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   EXCEPTx         
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1268 [29]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31880 [8]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618698 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Re: When Alicia Green borrowed a neighbor's car without permission, the [#permalink]
Yes, this CR is different from others I have seen.

IMO, the ans is D. All the others are possibilities that do not affect the fact that she was let off with a warning. If all said in D actually occured, no way she would have gotten off with just a warning.

vineetgupta wrote:
When Alicia Green borrowed a neighbor’s car without permission, the police merely gave her a warning. However, when Peter Foster did the same thing, he was charged with automobile theft. Peter came to the attention of the police because the car he was driving was hit by a speeding taxi. Alicia was stopped because the car she was driving had defective taillights. It is true that the car Peter took got damaged and the car Alicia took did not, but since it was the taxi that caused the damage this difference was not due to any difference in the blameworthiness of their behavior. Therefore, Alicia should also have been charged with automobile theft.

If all of the claims offered in support of the conclusion are accurate, each of the following could be true EXCEPT:
(A) The interests of justice would have been better served if the police had released Peter Foster with a warning.
(B) Alicia Green had never before driven a car belonging to someone else without first securing the owner’s permission.
(C) Peter Foster was hit by the taxi while he was running a red light, whereas Alicia Green drove with extra care to avoid drawing the attention of the police to the car she had taken.
(D) Alicia Green barely missed hitting a pedestrian when she sped through a red light ten minutes before she was stopped by the police for driving a car that had defective taillights.
(E) Peter Foster had been cited for speeding twice in the preceding month, whereas Alicia Green had never been cited for a traffic violation.

Every choice seems out of the scope to me...How to solve this??

Originally posted by mbagal1 on 22 Jan 2007, 18:04.
Last edited by mbagal1 on 23 Jan 2007, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [1]
Send PM
Re: When Alicia Green borrowed a neighbor's car without permission, the [#permalink]
Kudos
vineetgupta wrote:
When Alicia Green borrowed a neighbor’s car without permission, the police merely gave her a warning. However, when Peter Foster did the same thing, he was charged with automobile theft. Peter came to the attention of the police because the car he was driving was hit by a speeding taxi. Alicia was stopped because the car she was driving had defective taillights. It is true that the car Peter took got damaged and the car Alicia took did not, but since it was the taxi that caused the damage this difference was not due to any difference in the blameworthiness of their behavior. Therefore, Alicia should also have been charged with automobile theft.

If all of the claims offered in support of the conclusion are accurate, each of the following could be true EXCEPT:
(A) The interests of justice would have been better served if the police had released Peter Foster with a warning.
(B) Alicia Green had never before driven a car belonging to someone else without first securing the owner’s permission.
(C) Peter Foster was hit by the taxi while he was running a red light, whereas Alicia Green drove with extra care to avoid drawing the attention of the police to the car she had taken.
(D) Alicia Green barely missed hitting a pedestrian when she sped through a red light ten minutes before she was stopped by the police for driving a car that had defective taillights.
(E) Peter Foster had been cited for speeding twice in the preceding month, whereas Alicia Green had never been cited for a traffic violation.

Every choice seems out of the scope to me...How to solve this??

I think its C.

Because the conclusion of main sentence is "Alicia should also have been charged with automobile theft."

So C is the only sentence which infers that there is no reason to punish alicia.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
the argument says that the two were not treated same even thogh they had made the same crime.
in choice E,it explicitly writes the reason for why one was treated different from other.

Choice E looks like the ans.what's the oa??
everybody seems to be giving different answer!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
I think A.

If Peter had been released with a warning, whole argument, claims and conclusion to prove that "Alicia should also have been charged with automobile theft" would fail.

Rest of the claims can be made along with conclusion. They do not DISAPPROVES that Alicia should not be charged of thieving. They just tells about Alicia's previous traffic records and her behavior when she was approached by Police. ( such arguments are often presented by lawyers in order to affect quantum of a punishment to be decided by judge)

B --> Alicia is doing this crime first time
C--> Alicia was careful to avoid Police attention.
D--> She tried to run away when Police approached her.
E--> She has no prior bad traffic record.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [0]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Hi chetan2u,

This is a LSAT question and the OA is C. Could you please rectify the below mentioned doubts:
1) What is the question asking us to do? (My thinking is that the question is asking us to pick an answer which cannot be true in the occurred order of events)
2) Can you please explain why C is the correct answer and not E?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I feel that D is the correct choice. Being in law enforcement before, I would have had no known information that she nearly missed a pedestrian while running a red light 10 minutes prior to her being found driving with a defective taillight. However, as to answer C, I would have still noticed the taillight being out, even if she was driving "extra careful" and Peter still would have been the one to speed through a red light and cause the accident with the taxi.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts