Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When cable TV consumers evade cable access fees by

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 66 [2] , given: 8

When cable TV consumers evade cable access fees by [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

29% (02:44) correct 71% (01:58) wrong based on 64 sessions
When cable TV consumers evade cable access fees by purchasing illegal "pirated" cable boxes, a vicious cycle results. The use of pirated cable boxes by consumers forces cable companies to raise rates, which, in turn, leads more consumers to purchase pirated cable boxes in order to receive free cable programming.

The cycle described above could not result unless which of the following were true?

An increase in cable TV rates causes some consumers to cancel their service or reduce the number of premium channels to which they subscribe.
Some methods for detecting and disabling pirated cable boxes are effective at forcing pirated cable TV consumers to pay user fees or forgo cable TV programming, although the success rates vary considerably.
When cable TV executives establish cable access fees in order to generate an acceptable level of profit, they do not adequately account for revenue that will be lost through pirated cable use.
No one who routinely uses illegal pirated cable boxes can be induced by lower cable access fees to stop using pirated cable boxes unless fines for the use of such boxes are raised at the same time.
Cable TV consumers do not differ with respect to the cable access fees that would cause them to consider purchasing illegal pirated cable boxes.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 19:47
I will go with C here.

Purchasing Pirated Set up Boxes -> Rate increase -> Purchasing Pirated Set up Boxes

If the Rates are not increased the cycle would be incomplete.

Crick
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 12:29
I would go with B..........not sure
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Schulich (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.13
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 12:50
crick20002002 wrote:
I will go with C here.

Purchasing Pirated Set up Boxes -> Rate increase -> Purchasing Pirated Set up Boxes

If the Rates are not increased the cycle would be incomplete.

Crick

+1
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 8

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 13:01
"could not result unless which of the following were true" means this is an assumption question.

C: rising fees of cable company -> more people purchase pirated box
E: more pirated box -> more rising fees

A: cable companies does not accurately set the prices

Ans. C is the best choice.
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 04:32
Why not A,as it says that higher cable prices will lead to cancellation of services and increase piracy
bschool83 wrote:
"could not result unless which of the following were true" means this is an assumption question.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 05:18
This post received
KUDOS
avinash84 wrote:
Why not A,as it says that higher cable prices will lead to cancellation of services and increase piracy
bschool83 wrote:

+1 for C..
A says that An increase in cable TV rates causes some consumers to cancel their service or reduce the number of premium channels to which they subscribe.
A doesn't say anything wrt piracy..

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [3] , given: 32

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
good question, fell for E, though agree with choice C.

E: Cable TV consumers do not differ with respect to the cable access fees that would cause them to consider purchasing illegal pirated cable boxes.

Negate E: TV consumers sometimes differ with respect to the cable access fees that would cause them to consider purchasing illegal pirated cable boxes.

Negation doesn't hurt the conclusion. Even if consumers differ in acceptable price levels of cable boxes, they will still buy pirated cable boxes. Hence option E is not necessary, therefore not an assumption.

C: When cable TV executives establish cable access fees in order to generate an acceptable level of profit, they do not adequately account for revenue that will be lost through pirated cable use.

Negate C: When cable TV executives establish cable access fees in order to generate an acceptable level of profit, they sometimes adequately account for revenue that will be lost through pirated cable use.

If sometimes cable operators adequately account for revenue loss through pirated cable box use, they will not always raise cable rates to make up for reduced profits. Hence the vicious loop will be broken.
Negation of C hurts the conclusion, hence C is necessary for the conclusion, therefore a required assumption.

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 33

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 03:06
i go with B
As per the argument the companies raised charges because of piracy....so unless there is a check consumers would still continue to use pirated cables and the company would still keep on losing revenue.

Kaustubh

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 06:30
mehtakaustubh wrote:
i go with B
As per the argument the companies raised charges because of piracy....so unless there is a check consumers would still continue to use pirated cables and the company would still keep on losing revenue.

The answer is C as explained by mayan above

B is out of the scope of question. The company is losing revenue because they didn't account for the loses attributed to piracy in their current rates, hence the need to raise rates.
Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 33

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 11:21
sorry read the question wrong the question asks for reason for continuation of cycle and so c fits here perfectly..

Kaustubh

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 12:06
C is the answer. For the vicious circle to continue....people would be needing to buy more pirated boxes and that would happen only if the cable companies continue to increase rates ( to attain their estimated profit levels). C fits perfectly.

None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 23:33
Classic Sunk cost case in Budgeting .. :)

yes,indeed C it is,as considering it at the first place wouldn't have caused the increase in the fee.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 09:27
very good question, fell for A but agree with C's explaination

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 22:19
nishtil wrote:
very good question, fell for A but agree with C's explaination

I also chose A and I don't get why C is correct.

The question asks:
The cycle described above could not result unless which of the following were true?
in other words:
The cycle needs what of the following to be complete?

If users buy pirated boxes but do NOT cancel their services (negation of A), the company won't notice anything and not increase prices. Hence, we need people to stop subscription -> company notices -> increases price

I think C would be correct if the question were
The cycle described above could not result WHEN which of the following were true?
in other words:
What do we need to destroy the cycle?

C would be correct in this case, because prices might not be increased -> cycle broken
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2011, 07:10
dangerous question type... fell for B...

If the quest is "The above vicious circle would not happen if which of the following were true?"
then the ans might have been B (open for debate though)

The quest if exactly the opp of what I thought

The vicious circle would not occur unless the cable operators raise their costs.

less people with pirated boxes->normal profits for operators->increasing pirated boxes->less profits for operators->raise costs to increase profits->increasing pirated boxes->..........
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 8

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 16:16
An increase in cable TV rates causes some consumers to cancel their service or reduce the number of premium channels to which they subscribe. IRRELEVANT
Some methods for detecting and disabling pirated cable boxes are effective at forcing pirated cable TV consumers to pay user fees or forgo cable TV programming, although the success rates vary considerably. OUT OF SCOPE
When cable TV executives establish cable access fees in order to generate an acceptable level of profit, they do not adequately account for revenue that will be lost through pirated cable use. IF THIS HAPPENS, THE CYCLE WILL NOT RESULT
No one who routinely uses illegal pirated cable boxes can be induced by lower cable access fees to stop using pirated cable boxes unless fines for the use of such boxes are raised at the same time. OUT OF SCOPE
Cable TV consumers do not differ with respect to the cable access fees that would cause them to consider purchasing illegal pirated cable boxes. TOO EXTREME
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 18:59
I think E is as good an answer. If Cable TV consumers are indifferent in terms of cable access fees, the rise in rates would not necessarily motivate them to close their account and start using illicit cable boxes. and so the cycle would end.
What's wrong with that line of reasoning? Can someone who is to Verbal questions what Bunuel is to Quant questions explain this, please? Thanks.

bschool83 wrote:
An increase in cable TV rates causes some consumers to cancel their service or reduce the number of premium channels to which they subscribe. IRRELEVANT
Some methods for detecting and disabling pirated cable boxes are effective at forcing pirated cable TV consumers to pay user fees or forgo cable TV programming, although the success rates vary considerably. OUT OF SCOPE
When cable TV executives establish cable access fees in order to generate an acceptable level of profit, they do not adequately account for revenue that will be lost through pirated cable use. IF THIS HAPPENS, THE CYCLE WILL NOT RESULT
No one who routinely uses illegal pirated cable boxes can be induced by lower cable access fees to stop using pirated cable boxes unless fines for the use of such boxes are raised at the same time. OUT OF SCOPE
Cable TV consumers do not differ with respect to the cable access fees that would cause them to consider purchasing illegal pirated cable boxes. TOO EXTREME
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: CR - 700 level - cable [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 19:07
Edit:
Actually, on second thought, looks like I misread the question. The question actually asks: the cycle could not result unless which of the following were true, meaning what is the must have ingredient for the cycle to result.
E actually is saying that cable tv consumers are indifferent to cable access fees, meaning they don't care if the rates rise, so they won't switch to illegal cable boxes. this is not a must-have ingredient to making the cycle work, it is the opposite- to make it not work.
i get it. it helps to stare at the question for a while and rephrase it in your head.

koisun wrote:
I think E is as good an answer. If Cable TV consumers are indifferent in terms of cable access fees, the rise in rates would not necessarily motivate them to close their account and start using illicit cable boxes. and so the cycle would end.
What's wrong with that line of reasoning? Can someone who is to Verbal questions what Bunuel is to Quant questions explain this, please? Thanks.

bschool83 wrote:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: When cable TV consumers evade cable access fees by [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 00:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: When cable TV consumers evade cable access fees by   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2014, 00:22