Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When demand for a factory's products is high, more money is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 131
Location: India
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 15

When demand for a factory's products is high, more money is [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 03:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (02:04) correct 11% (00:59) wrong based on 37 sessions
When demand for a factory's products is high, more money is spent at the factory for safety precautions and machinery maintenance than when demand is low. Thus the average number of on-the-job accidents per employee each month should be lower during periods when demand is high than when demand is low and less money is available for safety precautions and machinery maintenance.

Which of the following, if true about a factory when demand for its products is high, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) Its employees ask for higher wages than they do at other times.
(B) Its management hires new workers but lacks the time to train them properly.
(C) Its employees are less likely to lose their jobs than they are at other times.
(D) Its management sponsors a monthly safety award for each division in the factory.
(E) Its old machinery is replaced with modern, automated models.

Undoubtedly the official answer here is B...I saw A and B as contenders for this question...I assume, had option B not been there A probably could be an answer......High Demand = More Money Spent on safety and machinery = less accident ......I welcome a debate on this
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 978
Location: Toronto
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 707 [1] , given: 3

Re: When demand for a factory's products is high [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 04:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
I'm curious why you think A would be a reasonable answer here? Is it because you think that if employees get higher wages, that will reduce the amount of money available for safety? If you're looking at the question that way, you're making a common CR mistake: you're trying to disprove one of the premises of the argument. The argument tells us that, when demand is high, more money is spent on safety. That is a premise: it is an absolute fact, and it cannot be wrong. Even if answer A is true, and companies pay their employees more when demand is high, it still absolutely must be true that companies also spend more on safety. So A cannot be the answer here.

We need an answer which suggests a reason there might be more accidents when demand is high even though more money is spent on safety. Only B is a good answer: B tells us that when demand is high, not only is more money spent on safety, but something else happens as well: untrained workers are hired. And if the population of workers changes, and particularly if the new workers are not trained, that could increase the accident rate.
_________________

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2441
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2615 [1] , given: 696

Re: When demand for a factory's products is high [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 06:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
IanStewart wrote:
I'm curious why you think A would be a reasonable answer here? Is it because you think that if employees get higher wages, that will reduce the amount of money available for safety? If you're looking at the question that way, you're making a common CR mistake: you're trying to disprove one of the premises of the argument. The argument tells us that, when demand is high, more money is spent on safety. That is a premise: it is an absolute fact, and it cannot be wrong. Even if answer A is true, and companies pay their employees more when demand is high, it still absolutely must be true that companies also spend more on safety. So A cannot be the answer here.

We need an answer which suggests a reason there might be more accidents when demand is high even though more money is spent on safety. Only B is a good answer: B tells us that when demand is high, not only is more money spent on safety, but something else happens as well: untrained workers are hired. And if the population of workers changes, and particularly if the new workers are not trained, that could increase the accident rate.


Moreover, A is completely unrelated to the stimulus. I didn't see that relation between A and the stimulus.

As such, even Ian got the answer wrong (I lay something absurd) A is incorret, in anyway.
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Posts: 62
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 28

Re: When demand for a factory's products is high [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 07:35
ratinarace wrote:
When demand for a factory's products is high, more money is spent at the factory for safety precautions and machinery maintenance than when demand is low. Thus the average number of on-the-job accidents per employee each month should be lower during periods when demand is high than when demand is low and less money is available for safety precautions and machinery maintenance.

Which of the following, if true about a factory when demand for its products is high, casts the most serious doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) Its employees ask for higher wages than they do at other times.
(B) Its management hires new workers but lacks the time to train them properly.
(C) Its employees are less likely to lose their jobs than they are at other times.
(D) Its management sponsors a monthly safety award for each division in the factory.
(E) Its old machinery is replaced with modern, automated models.

Undoubtedly the official answer here is B...I saw A and B as contenders for this question...I assume, had option B not been there A probably could be an answer......High Demand = More Money Spent on safety and machinery = less accident ......I welcome a debate on this



Can anyone explain why E is considered wrong?
Doesn't it weaken the conclusion that states ' low and less money is available for safety precautions and machinery maintenance."

KUDOS is a great way to encourage the complete community.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Joined: 23 Dec 2010
Posts: 490
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 992 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: When demand for a factory's products is high [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 07:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
aditya111 wrote:
Can anyone explain why E is considered wrong?
Doesn't it weaken the conclusion that states ' low and less money is available for safety precautions and machinery maintenance."



Hi Aditya,

The conclusion or the argument is that high demand should lead to a decrease in on-the-job accidents and we have to weaken this. The author tries to support the conclusion by stating the fact that higher amount of money is spent on safety and maintenance when demand is high.

(E) says that old machinery is replaced by new ones and that too automated ones. If the machines are new and automated then there will be no need or minimal need to operate manually. It will reduce the chances of injury, even in high demand situations. In fact (E) will strengthen the conclusion and support that there will be less on-the-job accidents.

Hope that helps,

Vercules
_________________

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jan 2013
Posts: 62
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 28

Re: When demand for a factory's products is high [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 08:45
Vercules wrote:
aditya111 wrote:
Can anyone explain why E is considered wrong?
Doesn't it weaken the conclusion that states ' low and less money is available for safety precautions and machinery maintenance."



Hi Aditya,

The conclusion or the argument is that high demand should lead to a decrease in on-the-job accidents and we have to weaken this. The author tries to support the conclusion by stating the fact that higher amount of money is spent on safety and maintenance when demand is high.

(E) says that old machinery is replaced by new ones and that too automated ones. If the machines are new and automated then there will be no need or minimal need to operate manually. It will reduce the chances of injury, even in high demand situations. In fact (E) will strengthen the conclusion and support that there will be less on-the-job accidents.

Hope that helps,

Vercules


Thanks buddy.. Really helped

<= KUDOS is a great way to encourage the complete community.
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1215
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 153

Kudos [?]: 1006 [0], given: 936

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: When demand for a factory's products is high [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 08:51
Expert's post
Dear Ian and Carcass,
I would say, just for the sake of discussion, choice A will be true if it gets rephrased in the following way, provided that choice B - which provides the best reason to weaken the conclusion - is not in the options.

its employees demand,that almost always disproved, for higher wages than they do at other times and upon not approving they usually do their job carelessly.

whats your opinion.
_________________

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.


Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2441
Followers: 311

Kudos [?]: 2615 [0], given: 696

Re: When demand for a factory's products is high [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 09:34
Expert's post
Sorry but I'm not quite sure what you meant but I 'd always adevice to understand the whole situation and at the same time paying attention to keywords.........

Guys: everybody can overcome this test, but keeping in mind to be flexible.
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 131
Location: India
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 15

Re: When demand for a factory's products is high [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2013, 22:29
IanStewart wrote:
I'm curious why you think A would be a reasonable answer here? Is it because you think that if employees get higher wages, that will reduce the amount of money available for safety? If you're looking at the question that way, you're making a common CR mistake: you're trying to disprove one of the premises of the argument. The argument tells us that, when demand is high, more money is spent on safety. That is a premise: it is an absolute fact, and it cannot be wrong. Even if answer A is true, and companies pay their employees more when demand is high, it still absolutely must be true that companies also spend more on safety. So A cannot be the answer here.

We need an answer which suggests a reason there might be more accidents when demand is high even though more money is spent on safety. Only B is a good answer: B tells us that when demand is high, not only is more money spent on safety, but something else happens as well: untrained workers are hired. And if the population of workers changes, and particularly if the new workers are not trained, that could increase the accident rate.


Ian that's exactly what I thought and assumed . I have not read the OG explanation for answer choice A. Now having read that explanation and reaffirmed by you it is so much clear now....Thanks :)
Re: When demand for a factory's products is high   [#permalink] 13 Feb 2013, 22:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic When demand for a factory's products is high, more money is betterscore 8 19 Jul 2012, 10:54
To maintain a high demand for their product, the vineetgupta 11 23 Jun 2007, 11:41
To maintain a high demand for their product, the arjsingh1976 8 21 Nov 2006, 19:57
To maintain a high demand for their product, the ecotopia 6 22 May 2006, 04:55
To maintain a high demand for their product, the banerjeea_98 9 28 Apr 2005, 11:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

When demand for a factory's products is high, more money is

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.