Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When do most people quit their job before matriculation?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 23

When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 21:20
I'm sure there are many other people in the same boat, but for me a large driver for going to business school is getting out of my current job. I'm curious - once a person is accepted, when is it considered "ok" to quit a job before going to b-school? And when I say "ok", I mean that your next potential employer/interviewer will not raise an eye to your leave date.

I've researched this a bit and assuming school starts in August, leaving June-July (1-2 months beforehand) seems fairly standard, May seems okay but might be cutting it close, and anything before that you would probably have to do some explaining?

I know each person's situation is unique, but all else equal, hoping to get some insight here. Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 97

Kudos [?]: 400 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
It really depends. There are people in my class who quit in December. There are others who didn't quit until the week before classes started. In terms of whether a long break will look bad to future employers....I don't think so. You're recruiting from bschool so it's simply assumed that you took time off prior to attending school. If that's 2 months or 9 months, I don't think it really matters given the context. I doubt that my classmates who quit in December/January are going to have any issues with recruiting because of it.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 443 [1] , given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
I attended the Fuqua info session and someone raised this question. The adcom member answered that you might have trouble explaining your stance to your future employers if you quit early.

According to me, its one of those 50-50s that might come up. It would also depend on how much time you have been in the work force. If its too less then obviously it might turn out to be negative.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 23

Re: When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 09:13
@ Jum: could you throw out some figures? What would you say is too early for the avg applicant with 4-5 years of work exp? Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 443 [1] , given: 452

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
it really depends on your priorities. I personally would like to take a break to rest/network/intern before the course.

What I meant was for an applicant with 2-3 yrs of experience it does not make much sense to leave too early because it will place him/her at a disadvantage compared to his/her peers.. but for 5 yrs or so it should not matter a great deal... it should not be very important for employers because they see both kinds year in year out. I think you should just go on that vacation you are planning :-) anyways next 2 yrs would be hard on you!

Posted from my mobile device Image

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
This is a question that almost every successful MBA applicant faces. From what I can tell from the hundreds of candidates who I have worked with, most quit their jobs around May 1st. The biggest reason that people give for quitting around this time is that they want to spend time traveling and getting their mind and energy ready for school. A few candidates work until the last possible minute as they really do need the money and a few extra paychecks really makes a difference. For a few lucky first round candidates who hear from schools around Christmas, a surprisingly large number quit in mid-January (or right after they receive their bonuses).

In short, each person knows the ideal time for them to quit given their individual life circumstances. No matter what your decision is, it will not impact your ability to get a great job after business school as recruiters will focus on your newly minted credentials instead of the fact that you quit your job a few weeks early.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 1

Re: When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 16:54
This post received
KUDOS
I have thought about this as well as I am VERY ready to leave my job. I am lucky that my boss already knows this...in fact, she is in the same boat so we've decided that if we haven't both moved on to new ventures by June 1, we're getting some nightlock and making a Hunger Games-style exit. But still, I wonder when I would actually leave. I think I'll want have some extra paychecks to tuck away, so I'll probably stay through the late spring. If money weren't important, I wouldn't think twice about leaving a little earlier as long as I felt like I could explain what I did with that time. I'm sure a future employer would understand taking a little time to travel, doing some volunteer work, brushing up some language skills, etc.

As others have said, there isn't one right answer -- you'll figure out what is right for you.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 03:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yep, I agree that's the key "figure out what is right for you". Since you already got in, a few months here or there won't make that much of a difference to potential future employers, so if you have an idea (like say you wanna give six months to take a shot at some entrepreneurial idea before you get into classes), why not?? although, as several others have mentioned above, leaving before the summer is most common. It just makes sense for most people, who want to pull in as much pay as possible before they quit and then still leave them enough time to get set up with all the practicalities and necessities of life.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Non-Human User
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 20:14
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: When do most people quit their job before matriculation?   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2014, 20:14