Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When do you quit your job to go to b-school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 06:10
Suppose you have been accepted to your dream school, when exactly do you quit your job and start school? Do semesters usually start at the beginning of September? What about those schools that have leadership orientations during the summer? Do you have to quit your job to go to that? What about health insurance? When does the school start providing that?

Thank you in advance!

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 06:27
It really depends on the school....

Most start official classes at the end of August (HBS starts in Sept) and most have some sort of orientation in August (HBS has theirs in Sept). A lot of the schools have pre-orientation math or analytics bootcamps as well, usually sometime in August. Wharton, for example, is a little different, and has like a month-long required "pre-term" for all students, while Stern has a 2 month "summer start" program that starts in July, but isn't open to everyone, and Tuck has "math camp" which I think goes on in August for a week, but again, isn't open to everyone. But whether you're talking about pre-orientation bootcamps or orientation, for the most part, these are full-day, all-day affairs with social events in the evenings, so you can't also expect to go to work on those days.

So as you can see, it is very different across the board. I don't know about healthcare, though, that's a really good question.
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 06:41
The healthcare issue does get a little tricky if you plan to leave your job very early and take some time off. Generally, if you quit your job a month before the start of school you should be all set because, in the event that you need it, you can get COBRA for a decent price and only sign up after an incident if you need it. If more than a month, however, I believe COBRA either costs more or you can't simply sign up for it after an incident. I would imagine the school health plan would start as soon as you start classes.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2009, 06:57
Thank you for the replies. So as far as leases are concerned, it's more prudent to sign one that ends on 9/30 to be on the safe side?

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 21:53
Hopefully taking off in early May here. How is work going for everyone?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth class of 2012
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 22:48
In August, in time to lock in the bonus for Fy09/10. We go July-June here in Oz.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 06:01
sapphireka wrote:
In August, in time to lock in the bonus for Fy09/10. We go July-June here in Oz.

I get my first half bonus on July 31st.So need to work till then.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 09:06
eminent wrote:
Hopefully taking off in early May here. How is work going for everyone?

I am totally on the Senior Slide. My interest in my job has been waning for a while... I can't wait to leave and head to school! I'm planning on 5/15 being my last day. I have a countdown on my google homepage - 107 more days until I give notice! (BTW, this countdown used to be for decision dates from schools... so glad that's over!)
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 09:14
Expert's post
capnbenzo wrote:
I am totally on the Senior Slide. My interest in my job has been waning for a while... I can't wait to leave and head to school! I'm planning on 5/15 being my last day. I have a countdown on my google homepage - 107 more days until I give notice! (BTW, this countdown used to be for decision dates from schools... so glad that's over!)
where are you going, capnbenzo?

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS 2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 09:15
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 09:26
asimov wrote:
where are you going, capnbenzo?

UNC
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 09:46
milias wrote:
Suppose you have been accepted to your dream school, when exactly do you quit your job and start school? Do semesters usually start at the beginning of September? What about those schools that have leadership orientations during the summer? Do you have to quit your job to go to that? What about health insurance? When does the school start providing that?

Thank you in advance!

My husband left his job at the beginning of July and only had health insurance until the end of the month. For August, we both were uninsured....scary! They make you sign up for some kind of insurance before they let you enter the program, though, and then we switched over to my company's insurance when I got a job. Other people he worked with left their jobs in June, though, and went on crazy vacations (with what money, I don't know!).
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 12

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
If all goes well, i think i'll quit in May. Have a lot of traveling i want to get done... Including an 10,000mi road trip to visit all the states I haven't been to yet (they are unfortunately spread out across the country). :-)

Hadn't really thought much about health insurance... I assume I'll just do COBRA.
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 10:59
egy wrote:
If all goes well, i think i'll quit in May. Have a lot of traveling i want to get done... Including an 10,000mi road trip to visit all the states I haven't been to yet (they are unfortunately spread out across the country). :-)

Hadn't really thought much about health insurance... I assume I'll just do COBRA.

Egy, thinking of doing the same! Haven't seen enough of the west, especially. If both our b-school plans work out, I'd definitely be willing to meet up for a drink/coffee somewhere along the way.
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 11:06
I love it! If the timing works out let's meet in some random coffee shop in the middle of Mississippi or something.

Here's my rough plan (though i'll be modifying it a bit as I figure out where I can crash): http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 410156&z=4

I wanted to rent an RV, but will all the miles driven, it would cost an arm and a leg. It's ok though since i'd really love to take up the car rental companies on their unlimited miles.

coakleym wrote:
egy wrote:

Egy, thinking of doing the same! Haven't seen enough of the west, especially. If both our b-school plans work out, I'd definitely be willing to meet up for a drink/coffee somewhere along the way.
Current Student
Schools: Tepper Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 11:46
Do all of you still plan on keeping your jobs until right before school? I can't see myself making it past May... would this look bad for future employers?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 14:41
This post received
KUDOS
I've already given notice to my job that I'll be resigning in the first week of May. Basically I felt really sorry for them as we've already lost 2 attorneys in my division and they'll be down to 3 lawyers (one of whom is the CC and therefore doing more organizational work) working the busiest office in the country.

I never thought about how it would affect how future employers view me. I'll have 7 years of work experience going into the mba so I feel okay about it. Plus, I figure they realise that the average student will take time off before heading out to a really busy program where they'll be buried with work for 2 years. I took time off before law school and no one ever brought it up to me.

ETA: my biggest concern is health insurance! :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 16:28
This post received
KUDOS
I'll be leaving work July 1st - that qualifies me for year-end bonus and gives me health coverage throughout July. Spending a few weeks overseas with the wife and then moving to NY. Going to be a hectic but fun month or two!! Will probably pick up COBRA or the School provided health care (anyone know if these are generally cheaper?) for August, and then hopefully get on my wife's plan once she finds employment. Should be interesting...
Current Student
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school? [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 16:50
If I do get in somewhere, I'll leave August 6th. so that I will complete 5 years at this company and take care of any benefits they have and then take 2 weeks off for app hunting and class prep and such. I don't plan to really do a long vacation since I'm interested in doing the pre-school travel event that every school has.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: When do you quit your job to go to b-school?   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2010, 16:50