Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When exactly to use the '-ing' form

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

When exactly to use the '-ing' form [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 19:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am almost always confused as to when to use the -ing form over present or past participle.

For eg in the following Q:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's Sunbird a four-and-a-half inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird,
has shimmering metallic colors on its head;
a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast;and a red eye.
a) found in the Philippines and that resembles
b) found in the Philippines and that,resembling
c)found in the Philippines ad resembling
d)that is found in the Philippines and it resembles
e) that is found in the Philippines ans that, resembling
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: When exactly to use the '-ing' form [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 22:58
Mamta

-ing form normally refers to progressive tense. It implies that the verb is occurring currently (not did not stop in the past). Normally the usage is best when applied with a constantly occurring activity - such as studying or running but not resembling.

Look for my comments on your example.

MamtaKrishnia wrote:
I am almost always confused as to when to use the -ing form over present or past participle.

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's Sunbird a four-and-a-half inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird,has shimmering metallic colors on its head;a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast;and a red eye.

a) found in the Philippines and that resembles <-- I feel this is the best answer here
c) found in the Philippines and resembling
d) that is found in the Philippines and it resembles <-- it is incorrect here
e) that is found in the Philippines and that, resembling
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: When exactly to use the '-ing' form [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 04:14
Thanks Bsd,

I choose option A too..
But the answer us C. This is a Q from Gmat prep practice test and the answer given is option C. :(
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: When exactly to use the '-ing' form [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 04:40
I suppose the usage to "that" here is more incorrect than using the progressive "resembling", since the usage is ambiguous.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: When exactly to use the '-ing' form [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 06:46
I agree "that resembles" can refer to Phillippines. I keep going back to ||'ism

Is it gramatically correct to say - Lina's Sunbird found and that resembles ?

bsd_lover wrote:
I suppose the usage to "that" here is more incorrect than using the progressive "resembling", since the usage is ambiguous.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: When exactly to use the '-ing' form [#permalink] New post 11 May 2008, 09:12
bsd_lover wrote:

Agree with u bsd.. the usage of that is a pronoun error in A.
BDE also suffer from pronoun errors hence C is the best choice.

As far as -ing is concerned, we use it for continous activities : like running, reading , dancing.. anything that is contuining in the present.

In this case as all options have a pronoun error its the best fit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When exactly to use the '-ing' form [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 01:22
MamtaKrishnia wrote:

First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's Sunbird a four-and-a-half inch animal found in the Philippines and that resembles a hummingbird,
a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast;and a red eye.
c) found in the Philippines ad resembling
d) that is found in the Philippines and it resembles

This is very tricky question. C is the best answer.

need parallelism so eliminate A (THAT refers to what; no parallelism), B (THAT), and D(THAT...IT).

C vs. E

In C: FOUND and RESEMBLING are parallel. Both of them are participle. Only C makes sentence run.
C: First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and resembling a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye

In E, If we choose a four-and-a-half-inch animal as the objective, the sentence made by this rule is not correct. ==> Eliminate E.
E. First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines and that, resembling a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: When exactly to use the '-ing' form [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 01:42
lexis wrote:
MamtaKrishnia wrote:

c) found in the Philippines ad resembling
d) that is found in the Philippines and it resembles

This is very tricky question. C is the best answer.

need parallelism so eliminate A (THAT refers to what; no parallelism), B (THAT), and D(THAT...IT).

C vs. E

In C: FOUND and RESEMBLING are parallel. Both of them are participle. Only C makes sentence run.
C: First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal found in the Philippines and resembling a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye

In E, If we choose a four-and-a-half-inch animal as the objective, the sentence made by this rule is not correct. ==> Eliminate E.
E. First discovered more than 30 years ago, Lina's sunbird, a four-and-a-half-inch animal that is found in the Philippines and that, resembling a hummingbird, has shimmering metallic colors on its head; a brilliant orange patch, bordered with red tufts, in the center of its breast; and a red eye

Good one. lexi!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: When exactly to use the '-ing' form   [#permalink] 22 May 2008, 01:42