Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When/How to ask for extension for deposit?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

When/How to ask for extension for deposit? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 09:35
I remember seeing a thread about how one should go about asking for an extension on the deposit due date but I can't seem to find it. Also when is the right time to do so? I just got the letter from my one admit school and it says they want the deposit by March 20th. But one of the decisions I am waiting on, my top choice, won't come out until the end of the month. Do I call now or wait a week or two and ask for an extension?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 09:37
How much is the depost?

If it's less than 5K, I would just pay the deposit. If you get in to your top school, 5K won't matter much in the long run.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2006
Posts: 482
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 09:39
gmatclb wrote:
How much is the depost?

If it's less than 5K, I would just pay the deposit. If you get in to your top school, 5K won't matter much in the long run.


That would be dumb if you could easily just ask for an extension. IMO, paying both deposits is a last resort.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2007
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: When/How to ask for extension for deposit? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 12:09
Kdawg8 wrote:
I remember seeing a thread about how one should go about asking for an extension on the deposit due date but I can't seem to find it. Also when is the right time to do so? I just got the letter from my one admit school and it says they want the deposit by March 20th. But one of the decisions I am waiting on, my top choice, won't come out until the end of the month. Do I call now or wait a week or two and ask for an extension?


Yeah, your circumstances are different than mine. It's definately a tricky situation. You don't want to rub your back-up school the wrong way while you wait for your 1st choice.

If you live somewhat close maybe you can say you are planning to visit campus in the coming weeks to buy yourself some time? I think even if you tell them you want to see what else transpires at the end of March with other schools and re-iterate your interest in the school you should be fine. This is what I would do. I think usually the schools can see through what you're doing (I'm sure other students have tried to buy time before)and I think being completely honest is the way to go. The worst case scenario will be that they will say no. I doubt they will pull back the offer. Just my two cents.

Tough situation, I know. All the best and good luck!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: When/How to ask for extension for deposit? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 13:13
Phooey wrote:
Yeah, your circumstances are different than mine. It's definately a tricky situation. You don't want to rub your back-up school the wrong way while you wait for your 1st choice.

If you live somewhat close maybe you can say you are planning to visit campus in the coming weeks to buy yourself some time? I think even if you tell them you want to see what else transpires at the end of March with other schools and re-iterate your interest in the school you should be fine. This is what I would do. I think usually the schools can see through what you're doing (I'm sure other students have tried to buy time before)and I think being completely honest is the way to go. The worst case scenario will be that they will say no. I doubt they will pull back the offer. Just my two cents.

Tough situation, I know. All the best and good luck!


Thanks, that's probably what I will end up doing as I definitely do want to take a look at the school again and it is less than an hour from where I live.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2006
Posts: 482
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 13:15
Okay, maybe i'm missing something. You're going to ask for an extension because you are planning to visit the campus in a few weeks? Why is that worthy of a deposit extension?

Furthermore, if you live close, wouldn't that be an additional negative? You could go to campus any weekend if you really wanted to.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 13:48
eazyb81 wrote:
Okay, maybe i'm missing something. You're going to ask for an extension because you are planning to visit the campus in a few weeks? Why is that worthy of a deposit extension?

Furthermore, if you live close, wouldn't that be an additional negative? You could go to campus any weekend if you really wanted to.


I only went to campus for my interview, I have yet to take visit a class and interact with any students/faculty at the school. But I have other schools decisions I am also waiting on which will come out after my deposit is due. I need to miss time at work to visit a class so I haven't been able to do so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2006
Posts: 482
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 13:54
I guess it's worth a shot, but i'm not sure that is convincing enough to offer an extension on your deposit. Hopefully I am wrong, because I am going to need to ask a school to extend by a week or two here in a bit....i'm biting my nails just thinking about them saying no.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Posts: 67
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 14:01
Yeah I understand what you're saying. At worst case as someone above posted I can just pay the deposit to hold my spot if they decline to extend it for me.
  [#permalink] 01 Mar 2007, 14:01
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
How to ask for an offer deadline extension? mcdeluxe 1 23 May 2013, 12:38
Asking for Offer Extension - UK Schools kseel 1 11 Mar 2011, 18:58
Experts publish their posts in the topic Best Way to Ask for Deposit Extension GrantChap 1 13 Apr 2010, 06:23
How best to ask for an admission extension BoPMBA 1 03 Feb 2009, 08:21
1 Asking for a Deposit Deadline Extension at Schools? kryzak 8 03 Feb 2008, 11:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

When/How to ask for extension for deposit?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.