Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 16:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 18:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:59) correct 27% (00:55) wrong based on 71 sessions
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

A. why does the part that replies not answer, "Yes"?
B. why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation?
C. Why do the subjects appear to accpet the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?
D. Why do hypnotized subjets all respond the same way in the situation described?
E. why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects?

Thanks,
Yvonne
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Yvonne Hao

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: O.G. Question 63 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 19:27
Let me try answering this :)

Conclusion here is - the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

Now , if this true then the hyponotized subjects need not always answer 'no'. They can even say 'yes'.

a - best answer
b - irrelavant
c - could be a trap answer. but this attacks the premise and not the conclusion
d - opposite answer
e - irrelevant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 38

Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 09:27
very difficult one. What do you think
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1186 [2] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 23:43
This post received
KUDOS
yvonne0923 wrote:
When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.

which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?

C. Why do the subjects appear to accpet the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf?
D. Why do hypnotized subjets all respond the same way in the situation described?

Thanks,
Yvonne

Premise: hypnotized subjects are told they are deaf then asked. They replied "No".
Conclusion: Replies part and deaf part are independent.

Weakness: if the two parts (deaf & replies) are independent, why the hypnotized subjects always replies "No". They always say "No" because there must be a connection between deaf part and replies part. So the deaf part commands the replies part say "NO". If there's no connection, the subjects could say "YES" or "NO". It doesn't matter.

@Yvonne: "Can anyone explain choice E for me?"
E doesn't help at all. E just says the deaf part and the replies part are the same for all subjects, it means every subject have the same two parts - deaf part & replies part. This is true, but E doesn't help to explain whether there's a connection between the two parts or not.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 643 [0], given: 6

Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 10:19
Expert's post
yvonne0923 wrote:

Thanks,
Yvonne

Regarding (A) vs (D):

If the two dissociated parts are indeed separate then why do people listen him in the first place when they are told they are deaf - and accordingly provide a reply. They can provide any reply Yes or No but since it always provides No, it means that both parts are not completely separate and are connected.

Because the reply of "NO" makes it seem as if the subject is indeed influenced by the other part - which means the 2 parts must somehow be related.

Because if they were NOT related (as the theorists try to claim) - then why do they always say NO? Why don't they say YES?

If the 2 parts were NOT related, then one would expect that when a subject is asked "can you hear me?" - that the expectation is they would reply YES.

SO why don't they say YES? - that's the question to ask.

The issue here is not about "why do subjects always give the same response"

The issue here is that there is an expected response - and we're not getting that expected response.

more: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... stion/3005

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 14

CAT Tests
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 19:48
This post received
KUDOS

C was the most attractive choice for me and went with it. Im convinced that A is the answer with the above explanations. Thanks guys.
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2013, 19:48