Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 29

When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 09:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (02:29) correct 41% (01:42) wrong based on 643 sessions
68. When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.
Which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?
(A) Why does the part that replies not answer,
"Yes"? I
(B) Why are the observed facts in need of any
special explanation?
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the
hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf? C
D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the
same way in the situation described?
E) Why are the separate parts of the self the same
for all subjects?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Hypnotized Subjects [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 11:10
IMO D,

all responding the same way goes againt the fact that 'selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts'. Hence responses should vary per person to person cause the part that responds has no idea about the fact that the person is deaf.
And for it to say 'Yes' each time, is not in line with the above mentioned fact( to me then it seems they are then connected)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 29

Re: CR-Hypnotized Subjects [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 11:48
well the answer is A but I did not understand why it is A.

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Hypnotized Subjects [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 11:57
Yea it is a contentious CR.

I still believe that if they are not connected, their actions will be independent of each other. The responces either being 'Yes' or a 'No' to me says somehow the responing part knows that it is a 'Yes'/'No' question. If it knows then there is a connection established right there.
Rather if the response is random, that would prove that the responding piece is independent reacting is whichever way it pleases (not bounded by a yes/no situation).
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [5] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
lets brick the argument:
hypnotized subject reply "NO" when asked "can you hear".
Theorist: There are 2 part: Part1: Deaf and Part2: Replies

WE need to weaken Theorist.
[Deaf part cannot hear and Part that reply could]

A: Weaken. Best Answer.
B: Out of scope
C: strengthens
D: comparision eliminate
E: neutral

Best answer is A.

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 00:25
We have to weaken the argument.
Simply put, if we can establish that the two parts are connected then the whole argument will fall apart or else we need to cast doubt on the findings/conclusion.

If the subject replies YES then it means that may be the parts are connected and the subject is not hypnotized
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 09:14
perfectstranger wrote:
68. When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are then asked whether they can hear the hypnotist, they reply, "No." Some theorists try to explain this result by arguing that the selves of hypnotized subjects are dissociated into separate parts, and that the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies.
Which of the following challenges indicates the most serious weakness in the attempted explanation described above?
"Yes"? I
special explanation?
same way in the situation described?
for all subjects?

Conclusion : the part that is deaf is dissociated from the part that replies

(A) Why does the part that replies not answer,"Yes"? - Weakener - If the parts are dissociated for each other. then the part that replies is not aware of wat its saying then why should it always says "Yes"
(B) Why are the observed facts in need of any special explanation? - Irrelevant
(C) Why do the subjects appear to accept the hypnotist's suggestion that they are deaf? - - Irrelevant Not sure!!!!
(D) Why do hypnotized subjects all respond the same way in the situation described? nothing to do with the theorist views
E) Why are the separate parts of the self the same for all subjects? - Nuteral
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA (PGPX)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2014, 21:09

Conclusion : selves are dissasociated. For example , subject left hand doesn't know about right hand of the subject.
Prove that still somehow there is a relation between then you will weaken the argument.

"Yes"? POE
special explanation?
out of scope. It has already happened and given as a premise.
OFS
same way in the situation described? OFS
We dont know whether all of them respond the same way. further, the focus is on why they respond than on how all respond.

for all subjects?
OFS. We are looking for correlation between dissociated parts in a single subject. How all others respond is out of scope.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2014, 00:58
My approach: If the two parts are truly disassociated, then the answering part is not deaf. Hence, it should answer the question: Can you hear me? with a Yes. Hence the answer here is A.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.54
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2014, 10:56
Valii wrote:
My approach: If the two parts are truly disassociated, then the answering part is not deaf. Hence, it should answer the question: Can you hear me? with a Yes. Hence the answer here is A.

Still dont really get it. To me, the answer of "yes" or "no" doesn't make any difference because the subject does ANSWER. No matter the answer is correct or not, the fact that the subject does answer means he/she can hear. If would make more sense if the subject remains silence... which truly prove that he/she is deaf!
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1373 [1] , given: 122

When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2014, 00:45
This post received
KUDOS
MulanQ wrote:
Valii wrote:

Still dont really get it. To me, the answer of "yes" or "no" doesn't make any difference because the subject does ANSWER. No matter the answer is correct or not, the fact that the subject does answer means he/she can hear. If would make more sense if the subject remains silence... which truly prove that he/she is deaf!

Hello MulanQ

I understand the question's logic is quite hard to digest. The key point is that the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part. It means that no matter one can/can't hear anything, he/she always replies in a predetermined way. In this question, the deaf part means one is hypnotized to become "deaf", he/she is not a deaf person. (I think you misunderstood this point). In order to prove that the two parts is dissociated, we have to prove TWO cases, NOT only one used by the author.

If the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part, so:

Case #1: Although one can actually hear, he/she always replies "NO". --> It means the the "deaf" (or the hearing part) does not affect the reply part. (If he/she says "YES", he/she may hear something actually --> the deaf part may not dissociated from the reply part).

Case #2: Although one does NOT hear anything, he/she still replies "YES" --> It means the the "deaf" (or the hearing part) does not affect the reply part. (If he/she says "NO", he/she may not hear anything actually --> the deaf part may not dissociated from the reply part).

If the two cases above are shown properly, the argument's conclusion is correct. But if only one case is shown, case #1 in this question, we can't conclude that the deaf part is dissociated from the replies part.

A shows that the author "forgot" case #2, so the conclusion should be weaken.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-13-2014

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 119

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2014, 03:39
Choice A is Weakener - If the parts are dissociated for each other. then the part that replies is not aware of wat its saying then why should it always says "Yes"

Quite tricky question.

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Re: When hypnotized subjects are told that they are deaf and are   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2014, 03:39