Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When I started studying back in December I knew my areas on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 19

When I started studying back in December I knew my areas on [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 15:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
When I started studying back in December I knew my areas on the GMAT from weakest to strongest would be SC-Quant-RC-CR.

With CR/RC only requiring a week or so of refresh as I wrote the LSAT a few years ago and the concepts stuck.

I knew the math would comeback eventually as I was once upon a time, in university, quite handy with numbers.

SC was the turd in the punch-bowl. So I decided to study it first. I read through the MGMAT SC guide twice and did the OG questions, and had a bit of a handle on it. Since then I've done nothing but quant. Now that I'm doing some full-scale prep tests my SC weakness has resurfaced. I got 4/13 correct in the verbal I completed yesterday - with the first NINE wrong in a row. For me, D-Day is in May. When I'm three weeks out of so I will take two full weeks to review MGMAT SC again and do every OG question again reviewing, in detail, every answer for every question. I figure thats the only way to make it stick. So take note: work on weaknesses last!

Any other suggestions/tips for weak SC. I'm a native speaker who has taken for granted the innate rules that govern our speech.

thanks

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 2

Re: SC Gameplan, comments/suggestions welcome [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 20:57
I will suggest of doing 1000 SC as well. Respected mates say it is not worth....but believe me it is. I improved a lot. Hope you will also.
TheSituation wrote:
When I started studying back in December I knew my areas on the GMAT from weakest to strongest would be SC-Quant-RC-CR.

With CR/RC only requiring a week or so of refresh as I wrote the LSAT a few years ago and the concepts stuck.

I knew the math would comeback eventually as I was once upon a time, in university, quite handy with numbers.

SC was the turd in the punch-bowl. So I decided to study it first. I read through the MGMAT SC guide twice and did the OG questions, and had a bit of a handle on it. Since then I've done nothing but quant. Now that I'm doing some full-scale prep tests my SC weakness has resurfaced. I got 4/13 correct in the verbal I completed yesterday - with the first NINE wrong in a row. For me, D-Day is in May. When I'm three weeks out of so I will take two full weeks to review MGMAT SC again and do every OG question again reviewing, in detail, every answer for every question. I figure thats the only way to make it stick. So take note: work on weaknesses last!

Any other suggestions/tips for weak SC. I'm a native speaker who has taken for granted the innate rules that govern our speech.

thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 19

Re: SC Gameplan, comments/suggestions welcome [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 17:09
Where do I find this 1000SC?

Is it free?

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 1

Re: SC Gameplan, comments/suggestions welcome [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 11:46
Expert's post
When you said you had "a bit of a handle on it"--did you understand the concepts, but had a hard time using them in practice on the OG, or have a hard time grasping the concepts in the strategy guides?

Also, what's the process that you've been using to review? For students who are really hardworking and used to achieving (and it sounds as though you may fall into this category), a tendency I've noticed is burning through a lot of material very rapidly, and not taking the time to process concepts deeply so they stick. It may be better to use 10 minutes to review the rules applied to one question and practice identifying the various splits (not just he ones that determined the correct answer in the end), than to do 5 questions and read the answers. While you're doing OG questions, of course, timing is key, but the review process should be deep and even more active.

It's totally normal to notice a dip in the thing you haven't looked at in a while, so don't feel bad-- you're doing the right thing by going back to review, and I think you were actually right to tackle your biggest weakness early on, too. But as you move toward the test date, try to build in some "cross-training" days along with your subject-intensive review (mixed random drills across all question types). You don't want to lose the edge on your strengths as you brush up your weaknesses! When you come up against the actual test, it will involve rapidly switching gears between question types, and that's a process skill that only develops with practice too.

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: SC Gameplan, comments/suggestions welcome   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2011, 11:46