Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When is a good time to apply for Bschool?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

When is a good time to apply for Bschool? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 05:05
When is a good time to apply for Fall 2012 admission into B school--and what is the normal length for the applicaiton process? Thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: When is a good time to apply for Bschool? [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 11:33
It really depends on how you view the admissions process. The upper tier, highly competitive schools will release their essays sometime this Summer and the applications in late Summer or early Fall. From there, the interview and admit decisions can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a few months. Each school is different. If you are interested in specific schools, visit their admissions sites now and you'll get a good approximation of their timelines for next year.

That said, the admissions process really takes much longer than that. Aside from the obvious items like seeking out responsibility and succeeding professionally, you need to study for and take the GMAT, create or update your resume, think about potential recommenders, and seek to address any weak spots in your profile. If you lack leadership experience, you may need to look outside of work to obtain that experience via charity work or other extracurricular activities. If you're GPA needs help, you may want to take a couple of classes.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: When is a good time to apply for Bschool? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 04:08
Okay--I don't think I am going to be the average MBA applicant--I really want a joint degrees for various reasons. I am currently finishing my second year of law school. My GPA UG and in law are are both good so I should be okay there, so I really just need to work on the GMAT which I was planning on taking towards the end of the summer or there abouts. I really appreciate your advice and would be open minded to any more--thank you!
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: When is a good time to apply for Bschool? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 07:58
I'm not sure how the joint degree thing would work out since you're already in your second year of law school--typically JD-MBAs are for people without law school experience, and they require three years to earn both degrees. This blog http://www.jeremycwilson.com/ may be helpful for general information for you, but you'll have to do some research on JD-MBA programs at the specific schools you're interested in.

Asking for the "normal length" for the process is a little vague--we'll need more information on exactly what you're asking for to give you better answers. Getting a good GMAT score, putting together a resume, planning essays, and lining up recommenders takes time. The process tends to get more efficient the more times you do it...i.e. my Stanford and Berkeley apps consumed a large part of my life for over a month, but my remaining three apps (UCLA, Kellogg, Harvard) were much faster because I had all the fill-in-the-blank information/transcripts/resume handy and I had been through the essay process a few times already.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Re: When is a good time to apply for Bschool?   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2011, 07:58