Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Dec 2014, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When Margaret Thatcher won the British general election in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

When Margaret Thatcher won the British general election in [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 21:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

78% (01:51) correct 22% (01:05) wrong based on 12 sessions
When Margaret Thatcher won the British general election in 1979, she had become Europe’s first woman PM, although the world had seen its very first female head of state , Sirimavo Bendaranaike of Sri Lanka, 19 years earlier.

A. When Margaret Thatcher won
B. Upon Margaret Thatcher’s winning
C. Whenever Margaret Thatcher won
D. Margaret Thatcher had won
E. At the time Margaret Thatcher won
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 32

Re: 700 level - but note sure whether OA is correct [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 21:22
E.

"When Margaret Thatcher won..." seems to be talking about the time itself rather than an event at that time or circumstances of the time. Because the sentence discusses an event at a certain period of time, E appears to be the best for leading into this. The meaning is best communicated by E.

This is a tough question. It certainly is between A and E though. What's the OA?

EDIT: I just saw the source is Peterson's Master the GMAT book, but the book on Google Books omits the page with the answer to this question (the question itself is presented at question #2 on one of the tests within the book).

xyztroy wrote:
When Margaret Thatcher won the British general election in 1979, she had become Europe’s first woman PM, although the world had seen its very first female head of state , Sirimavo Bendaranaike of Sri Lanka, 19 years earlier.

A. When Margaret Thatcher won
B. Upon Margaret Thatcher’s winning
C. Whenever Margaret Thatcher won
D. Margaret Thatcher had won
E. At the time Margaret Thatcher won

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Manager
Manager

Re: 700 level - but note sure whether OA is correct [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 07:17
OA is B...Funny, isn't it?? because in this case there is no antecedent of "she" in the entire sentence.
SVP
SVP

Re: 700 level - but note sure whether OA is correct [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 07:44
I disagree with the OA. I think this questions is all about style and it's nearly impossible to say that John Grisham's style is better than Stephanie Meyer's style? I don't see a problem with B, but in my own writing, I would have chosen E first and A second.

Is there an explanation for the question?

xyztroy wrote:
OA is B...Funny, isn't it?? because in this case there is no antecedent of "she" in the entire sentence.

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 88

Kudos [?]: 495 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: 700 level - but note sure whether OA is correct [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 08:52
Expert's post
I'm having problems with B. What does "she" refer to? There is no Margaret Thatcher in this sentence, only the noun "Margaret Thatcher's winning."

I agree with jallenmorris. For me, though, I picked E because it just sounded better. Second place goes to A.
SVP
SVP

Re: 700 level - but note sure whether OA is correct [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 11:48
I agree about "she". If you take out all of the adjectives to reduce the sentence down to only what is there and what can function as the antecedent you get:

Upon winning the British general election in 1979, she had become Europe’s first woman PM, although the world had seen its very first female head of state , Sirimavo Bendaranaike of Sri Lanka, 19 years earlier.

In this sentence, "she" has no antecedent.

bmillan01 wrote:
I'm having problems with B. What does "she" refer to? There is no Margaret Thatcher in this sentence, only the noun "Margaret Thatcher's winning."

I agree with jallenmorris. For me, though, I picked E because it just sounded better. Second place goes to A.

J Allen Morris

Manager
Manager

Re: 700 level - but note sure whether OA is correct [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 15:44
OK here is the OA with Explanation given in the Paterson book:

OA: B

The original sentence improperly mixes the past tense (won) with the Past Perfect Tense (had become and had seen). Choice B corrects this problem by reconstructing the first clause. In choice B, the noun clause Margaret Thatcher's winning correctly uses the possessive verb form.
SVP
SVP

Re: 700 level - but note sure whether OA is correct [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2010, 21:19
That's a horrible Official Explanation. Past Perfect is used all the time with past tense. Past perfect tells us that something else happened relative to the past event.

He went to the store before he had been to the bank.

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.htmlAnd other examples.

xyztroy wrote:
OK here is the OA with Explanation given in the Paterson book:

OA: B

The original sentence improperly mixes the past tense (won) with the Past Perfect Tense (had become and had seen). Choice B corrects this problem by reconstructing the first clause. In choice B, the noun clause Margaret Thatcher's winning correctly uses the possessive verb form.

J Allen Morris

Re: 700 level - but note sure whether OA is correct   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2010, 21:19