Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2015, 00:18
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When n = 100x + 10y + z, function f is defined as f(n) =

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 993
Location: South Korea
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

When n = 100x + 10y + z, function f is defined as f(n) = [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2005, 06:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

When n = 100x + 10y + z, function f is defined as f(n) = (2^x)(3^y)(5^z).

If f(v) = 9f(u), what is v minus u?

(Answer choices not available)
_________________

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1891
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

Re: PS - Function [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2005, 07:16
gamjatang wrote:
When n = 100x + 10y + z, function f is defined as f(n) = (2^x)(3^y)(5^z).

If f(v) = 9f(u), what is v minus u?

(Answer choices not available)


notice 9= 3^2 --> the only possible difference between f(v) and f(t) is of 3^y ....f(v) contains 3^(y+2) ...powers of 2 and 5 in both functions f() are the same

----> u= 100x+10y+z and v= 100x+10(y+2) +z
----> v-u= 10*2= 20
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1488
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

Re: PS - Function [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2005, 07:54
laxieqv wrote:
gamjatang wrote:
When n = 100x + 10y + z, function f is defined as f(n) = (2^x)(3^y)(5^z).

If f(v) = 9f(u), what is v minus u?

(Answer choices not available)


notice 9= 3^2 --> the only possible difference between f(v) and f(t) is of 3^y ....f(v) contains 3^(y+2) ...powers of 2 and 5 in both functions f() are the same

----> u= 100x+10y+z and v= 100x+10(y+2) +z
----> v-u= 10*2= 20


:cool
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 993
Location: South Korea
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Re: PS - Function [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2005, 07:05
bewakoof wrote:
laxieqv wrote:
gamjatang wrote:
When n = 100x + 10y + z, function f is defined as f(n) = (2^x)(3^y)(5^z).

If f(v) = 9f(u), what is v minus u?

(Answer choices not available)


notice 9= 3^2 --> the only possible difference between f(v) and f(t) is of 3^y ....f(v) contains 3^(y+2) ...powers of 2 and 5 in both functions f() are the same

----> u= 100x+10y+z and v= 100x+10(y+2) +z
----> v-u= 10*2= 20


u are GENIIUS!


Yes she is.

The OA is 20.
_________________

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 55
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2005, 07:38
crap, I could never get that.
Would this be considered medium difficulty or hard?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2005
Posts: 39
Location: Houston
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 11:04
Got 20 as well. Only way to increase 9 fold is using 3^2 which means y has increased by 2 and 10*2 = 20.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 993
Location: South Korea
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 09:38
stretchad wrote:
crap, I could never get that.
Would this be considered medium difficulty or hard?


I'd say, this question falls in the "super hard" category.
_________________

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 28 May 2005
Posts: 1740
Location: Dhaka
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 10:17
gamjatang wrote:
stretchad wrote:
crap, I could never get that.
Would this be considered medium difficulty or hard?


I'd say, this question falls in the "super hard" category.


Do you get this type of questions in the real test.
_________________

hey ya......

  [#permalink] 09 Dec 2005, 10:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

When n = 100x + 10y + z, function f is defined as f(n) =

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.