Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 0

When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (02:06) correct 22% (01:17) wrong based on 248 sessions
When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people tend to spend less money on discretionary purchases. Therefore, the perceived threat of recession decreases the willingness of people to purchase products that they
regard as optional or luxury goods.

The argument above assumes that _

(A) there are more luxury goods available after a recession is forecast
(B) recently, the threat of recession has been increasingly publicized as news periodicals have grown more pervasive
(e) most people do not regularly read news periodicals
(D) people's perception of the threat of recession increases when news periodicals begin forecasting a recession
(E) the people who spent the most money before a recession was forecast were among those who curtailed their spending after the recession became apparent
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MANHATTAN GMAT: CRITICAL REASONING QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 05:36
D. I"have negated to get the answ D

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 59

Re: MANHATTAN GMAT: CRITICAL REASONING QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 00:07
I will also go for D. reasoning it says that people perception about recession increases when some article gets published in newspaper.

Thanks
Soul!!

bholakc wrote:
When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people tend to spend less money on discretionary purchases. Therefore, the perceived threat of recession decreases the willingness of people to purchase products that they

(B) recently, the threat of recession has been increasingly publicized as news periodicals have grown more pervasive
(D) people's perception of the threat of recession increases when news periodicals begin forecasting a recession
(E) the people who spent the most money before a recession was forecast were among those who curtailed their spending after the recession became apparent
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: MANHATTAN GMAT: CRITICAL REASONING QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 02:19
One of the rare Assumption question that I got right...D!

Working towards a goal...
V.

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: MANHATTAN GMAT: CRITICAL REASONING QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 03:20
Its D

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 569 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MANHATTAN GMAT: CRITICAL REASONING QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 07:08
Expert's post
yeah on negating i got D.
but can u plz explain wats wrong with E

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 42

GMAT Tests User
Re: MANHATTAN GMAT: CRITICAL REASONING QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 21:11
D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: MANHATTAN GMAT: CRITICAL REASONING QUESTIONS [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 08:15
siddharthasingh wrote:
yeah on negating i got D.
but can u plz explain wats wrong with E

E) Conclusion is talking about perception but E) --is talking about apparent recession

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 31

Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 22:27
E has vide scope hence not correct whereas D is the only best contender here

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 23:21
Cause and effect relationship. when X occurs , y occurs.
D is d correct answer

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern
WE 1: 2.10

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 03:51
fell for E... Got confused btw D and E... D sounded more that something that follows the argument... Since assumptions are made before the argument.. I felt D was wrong.. Forgot to use the negation on D...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 22:56
IMO D...............

E talks of apparent threat and not of percieved threat
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 00:12
The only assumption that links both the statements is Option D.

This time its personal..

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 21:37
my take option D
as Only after the news periodical people stopped sending on luxury items
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 02:04
bholakc wrote:

A. There could be more luxury goods available after a forecast because people are not spending on them. But it doesnt link how periodicals affect the result
B. When news periodicals have gone pervasive it is possible that they can affect public opinion and when they write about recession it is taken as true and people behave accordingly. But why recently? This cast a doubt, if it could be an assumption
c. Not at all, if people dont read them, then how can they affect public opinion and hence the conclusion which followed.
D. This can be true, it is assuming importance of news periodicals and their affect on perception
E. This cant be true because it doesnt give any importance to periodicals to change perception.

My choice is D.

But I am still not sure why cant it be B, even though, I have given my own explanation for it. Pls give more clarification
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 06:51
Need help on this.

Is D not a rephrasing of the argument?

Why can't answer be B? It connects the gap between THREAT and the source- PERIODICALS.

Why can't answer be E? This option acts as a evidence that prior to this, people did curtail their spending after recession.

bholakc wrote:

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 4

Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 09:36
HI Rajech,

Let me see if I can help -

D is actually not re-stating. Read carefeully, the answer never actually say that there is a link.

Both B&E pre-suppose that link. So without D, neither of them make sense.

Does that help?

james

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 19:54
Thanks James,

OK. I got it. Outside the scope of this question, I ask you, if an option is a rephrase of the argument, it is not an assumption. Right?

Do you mean to say that B & E are not necessary assumption, while D is?

plumber250 wrote:
HI Rajech,

Let me see if I can help -

D is actually not re-stating. Read carefeully, the answer never actually say that there is a link.

Both B&E pre-suppose that link. So without D, neither of them make sense.

Does that help?

james
Re: When news periodicals begin forecasting a recession, people   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2013, 19:54