Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 20

When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 06:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

29% (02:29) correct 71% (01:44) wrong based on 17 sessions
When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently surveyed about their political beliefs, 20 percent scored in the middle range representing political neutrality. When this smaller subgroup was surveyed again in their parents' homes during their first vacation, 60 percent scored on the conservative side of the scale. However, when the students were sophomores, a third survey revealed that 75 percent of this same subgroup scored on the liberal side of the scale. It was concluded that the political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.

Which of the following, if true, would tend to support this conclusion?

A. Freshmen are less inhibited at school than they are at home and so tend to answer questions more truthfully at school.

B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative.

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college.

D. Most of the freshmen who were rated as politically neutral did not perceive themselves to be neutral.

E. Most members of the original survey group scored on the politically conservative end of the spectrum.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Last edited by Chembeti on 26 Feb 2012, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 17:48
Chembeti wrote:
When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently surveyed about their political beliefs, 20 percent scored in the middle range representing political neutrality. When this smaller subgroup was surveyed again in their parents' homes during their first vacation, 60 percent scored on the conservative side of the scale. However, when the students were sophomores, a third survey revealed that 75 percent of this same subgroup scored on the liberal side of the scale. It was concluded that the political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.

Which of the following, if true, would tend to support this conclusion?

A. Freshmen are less inhibited at school than they are at home and so tend to answer questions more truthfully at school.

B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative.

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college.

D. Most of the freshmen who were rated as politically neutral did not perceive themselves to be neutral.

E. Most members of the original survey group scored on the politically conservative end of the spectrum.

I got B.. C doesn't make sense.

A) wrong because if freshmen weren't answering truthfully at home, then their political beliefs did not reflect their environment. Only their answers reflected their environment. answers which are not necessarily true..

B) Correct because if most members of the sub group came from politically conservative households it would make sense for most them to have conservative views while on vacation at home and then to have liberal views when in college as sophomores...

C) Irrelevant. political beliefs cannot be logically related to new interests without making a lot of logical leaps.

D) Again irrelevant. Their view of themselves doesn't matter here..

E) Irrelevant. We do not even have data on the entire original group to analyse their behaviour for the given statement of political beliefs being affected by the environment..

So I think B is definitely the right answer.. Can't see how it could be C at all!!!!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 19:41
Premise:
1, 20% of students who had middle scores have choose political neutrality
2, Then, when these students take a vacation at home, 60% of these 20% scored on conservative side of the scale.
3, When 20% of these students is sophomores, 75% of 20% scored on the liberal side of the scale.

=> conclusion: The political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.

B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative. => this choice only provide the information of the political background of students, not support anything relate to the changing trend of the students

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college. => this choice said the freshmen tend to change their interests and objectives => Correct one

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 20:09
^ I disagree with your criticism of "B". the changing trend is given in the premises. If 60% very conservative when surveyed earlier, and 75% were liberals when surveyed at a later date, there has been a change in the political views of at least 15% of those in the subgroup. The fact that most members of the sub group came from politically conservative households would support the conclusion in that the conservative environment at home affected their political views until they spent more time at college and their views were affected by the new environment.

Also in the case of "C" to say that freshmen change their political views just because they develop new interests (not change interests) is quite a leap.. For example, I may decide to take up guitar lessons while in college but that has no bearing on my views on a different topic like politics.. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 20

Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 23:09
tuanquang269 wrote:
Premise:
1, 20% of students who had middle scores have choose political neutrality
2, Then, when these students take a vacation at home, 60% of these 20% scored on conservative side of the scale.
3, When 20% of these students is sophomores, 75% of 20% scored on the liberal side of the scale.

=> conclusion: The political beliefs of college students tend to reflect their environment.

B. Most members of the subgroup came from homes that were politically conservative. => this choice only provide the information of the political background of students, not support anything relate to the changing trend of the students

C. Freshmen tend to develop new interests and objectives after their first year at college. => this choice said the freshmen tend to change their interests and objectives => Correct one

@tuanquang269

Sorry, it was my bad. The correct OA is B, but not C.

@karun0109
Thanks for pointing it out. Your analysis is perfectly valid. I have updated the OA.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 22:18
karun0109 wrote:
^ I disagree with your criticism of "B". the changing trend is given in the premises. If 60% very conservative when surveyed earlier, and 75% were liberals when surveyed at a later date, there has been a change in the political views of at least 15% of those in the subgroup. The fact that most members of the sub group came from politically conservative households would support the conclusion in that the conservative environment at home affected their political views until they spent more time at college and their views were affected by the new environment.

Also in the case of "C" to say that freshmen change their political views just because they develop new interests (not change interests) is quite a leap.. For example, I may decide to take up guitar lessons while in college but that has no bearing on my views on a different topic like politics.. :)

Your explanation is so great. Thanks :D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Re: When one thousand entering college freshmen were recently   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2012, 22:18