Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Assumptionx   Strengthenx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [510]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [94]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [17]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [6]
Send PM
Re: When people evade income taxes by not declaring taxable income, a vici [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Viscious Cycle --> People evade tax so law makers make less revenue so they increase tax so more people evade tax

This cycle would not happen if law makers had given leeway for evaders and fixed the tax such a way that they will generate their income, in which case they dont have to increase their tax every year and more people will not start evading.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [13]
Send PM
Re: When people evade income taxes by not declaring taxable income, a vici [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Cycle : Tax Evasion -> Taxes are raised -> Burden on nonevading tax payers -> more taxpayers evade taxes.
How can we break this cycle. Either by ensuring that there is absolutely no Tax Evasion by tax payers, or some way for lawmakers to not raise taxes at all despite evasion.

lexis wrote:
When people evade income taxes by not declaring taxable income, a vicious cycle results. Tax evasion
forces lawmakers to raise income tax rates, which causes the tax burden on nonevading taxpayers to become
heavier. This, in turn, encourages even more taxpayers to evade income taxes by hiding taxable income.
The vicious cycle described above could not result unless which of the following were true?

(A) An increase in tax rates tends to function as an incentive for taxpayers to try to increase their pretax
incomes.
>> This does not break the chain in any way.

(B) Some methods for detecting tax evaders, and thus recovering some tax revenue lost through evasion, bring
in more than they cost, but their success rate varies from years to year.
>> This can potentially reduce the tax evasion, but not sufficient for law makers to Not raise taxes or avoid evasion completely.

(C) When lawmakers establish income tax rates in order to generate a certain level of revenue, they do not allow adequately for revenue that will be lost through evasion.
>> If they establish rates in such a way that their revenues are met despite evasion, they are likely to not raise taxes which is what we were looking for to break the cycle.

(D) No one who routinely hides some taxable income can be induced by a lowering of tax rates to stop hiding
such income unless fines for evaders are raised at the same time.
>> If fines are raised potentiall evasion can be reduced, but we dont know if it can be eliminated 100%.

(E) Taxpayers do not differ from each other with respect to the rate of taxation that will cause them to evade
taxes.
>> Even if taxpayers differ, ie. people with higher rates evade more often than people with lower rates. We still cant break the cycle.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [9]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
More variety :) :
I’d pick C.

Quote:
When people evade income taxes by not declaring taxable income, a vicious cycle results. Tax evasion forces lawmakers to raise income tax rates, which causes the tax burden on nonevading taxpayers to become heavier. This, in turn, encourages even more taxpayers to evade income taxes by hiding taxable income.

The vicious cycle described above could not result unless which of the following were true?

We need to find a statement, a negation of which will break the ‘vicious circle’:

(C) When lawmakers establish income tax rates in order to generate a certain level of revenue, they do not allow adequately for revenue that will be lost through evasion. - This is it: if it is false, i.e. lawmakers allow adequately for revenue that will be lost through evasion, then the statement that ‘Tax evasion forces lawmakers to raise income tax rates’ will also be false, and ‘a vicious cycle’ will not take place.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [11]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Question: The vicious cycle described above could not result unless which of the following were true?
The question is twisted in interesting way with double negations. Note the use of "could not" along with "Unless"="IF..NOT" or "Except-IF".

You can simplify the question to:
Reworded Question: The vicious cycle described above could result if which of the following were true?

Hence you need to eliminate the choices which "breaks" the vicious cycle and choose the choice that does not [break the cycle].

(C) When lawmakers establish income tax rates in order to generate a certain level of revenue, they do not allow adequately for revenue that will be lost through evasion.
-- This is the correct answer choice! This situation will ensure that the vicious cycle is continued.

Hence choice(C) is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT Date: 04-20-2013
Send PM
Kudos
Blue Book CR69

Weaken
Conclusion: Bad cycle results if people escape tax. How so?
Premise: People escape, forces lawmakers to raise tax rate, everyone (even the good ones) suffers, and cause more people to escape tax.
Thinking: Looking at premise should tell you that there are 2 out of 2 choices only: eliminate evaders or lawmakers should not raise tax rate due to evasion.

Not A: Increase in tax rate is good since it allows increase in pretax. This is still under the condition that tax rate is raised.
Not B: Success rate of method detecting evaders shows unreliable. This will still cause the cycle since there are remaining evaders not caught.
It's C: Lawmakers determine tax rate without accounting for lost revenue due to evasion. Lawmakers will not raise tax rate due to evasion.
Not D: People who escape tax cannot be prevented by lowering tax, can only be prevented if evaders are fined. But, the method is no guarantee that evasion will be prevented.
Not E: People have the same tax rate will cause them to evade. This still causes the cycle since people escape tax.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat2013s wrote:
When people evade income taxes by not declaring
taxable income, a vicious cycle results. Tax evasion
forces lawmakers to raise income tax rates, which
causes the tax burden on non evading taxpayers to
become heavier. This, in turn, encourages even more
taxpayers to evade income taxes by hiding taxable
income.

The vicious cycle described above could not result
unless which of the following were true?

Conclusion - People when evade income tax - --> a vicious cycle occurs --->

Consequences/ Basis -Evading forces lawmakers to raise tax rates Causes tax burden on non evading tax payers ---> which in turn encourages more evading

Jump - evading - lawmakers increased tax rate - more evading

Prethink - Lawmakers failed to analyze the consequence of increased tax rate

Here is my problem - Between C and E I chose E [ The official answer is C]
Where I am mistaking ? -- The question asked something specific and giving me trouble

(A) An increase in tax rates tends to function as an
incentive for taxpayers to try to increase their
pretax incomes. --------------> OFS
(B) Some methods for detecting tax evaders, and
thus recovering some tax revenue lost through
evasion, bring in more than they cost, but their
success rate varies from year to year.--------------> M8 be true but not discussed
(C) When lawmakers establish income tax rates in
order to generate a certain level of revenue,
they do not allow adequately for revenue that will
be lost through evasion.----------> m8 be true but not in the way of author want
(0) No one who routinely hides some taxable
income can be induced by a lowering of tax
rates to stop hiding such income unless fines for
evaders are raised at the same time.-----> OFS
(E) Taxpayers do not differ from each other with
respect to the rate of taxation that will cause
them to evade taxes.------------> Negation - Taxpayers will differ from each other W.R.T the rate of taxation that will cause them to evade taxes ---> VC cycle will not occur - breaking of Con ---> Correct -->

Can you please rectify me?

I am suffering particularly for this type of assumption where question is specific .

Please help :roll:

Hi gmat2013s,

I would rather like to have a chat with you to help you on this. But given our limitations, let's try to use this forum.

First of all, what is the definition of an assumption?

Based on that definition and the given question stem, what do you think is the conclusion here?

I am looking forward to the answers to both the questions above?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Duke '15
Send PM
egmat wrote:
gmat2013s wrote:
income.

Consequences/ Basis -Evading forces lawmakers to raise tax rates Causes tax burden on non evading tax payers ---> which in turn encourages more evading

Where I am mistaking ? -- The question asked something specific and giving me trouble

success rate varies from year to year.--------------> M8 be true but not discussed
be lost through evasion.----------> m8 be true but not in the way of author want
them to evade taxes.------------> Negation - Taxpayers will differ from each other W.R.T the rate of taxation that will cause them to evade taxes ---> VC cycle will not occur - breaking of Con ---> Correct -->

I am suffering particularly for this type of assumption where question is specific .

Hi gmat2013s,

I would rather like to have a chat with you to help you on this. But given our limitations, let's try to use this forum.

Based on that definition and the given question stem, what do you think is the conclusion here?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Hallo Chiranjeev

I will try to connect your questions with this argument to understand if there is really some error in my approach and understanding.

I want to learn maximum from this :)

Definition of assumption - A supporting premise which must be true to reach the conclusion .

Its a bridge between premise and conclusion .

When the bridge will be poorly made [ flawed assumption ] ---> It is unlikely to reach at the conclusion .
When assumption is valid --> Conclusion can be accepted as true or believable

Conclusion - ABC test / why test

Why VC results ?
1. People evade tax by not declaring taxable income
2. lawmakers forced to raise tax rate ---> raising burden to tax payers ---> more evasion --> VC occurs.

Question - VC could not occur unless which of the following statement is valid means if any of the following assumption is not valid then VC could not occur .

or - if any of the assumption is flawed or poorly made[ not true ] then the conclusion breaks [ VC couldn't occur]

Prethink - Lawmakers failed to understand that more tax raise can result more evasion --> loss of more money [ so failure of lawmakers in understanding the effect of tax raise is responsible for VC]

pretax incomes. --------------> Talks about the effect of increased tax rates [ not the underlying assumption which forces the lawmakers to raise tax ]
success rate varies from year to year.--------------> M8 be true but not discussed, also concerned about a subset [ not the entire super set]
be lost through evasion.----------> if this is true occurrence of Vicious cycle is also true
them to evade taxes.------------> No effect on the conclusion - irrelevant

I will be happy if the analysis is ok at all .

Thanks Chiranjeev for your concern .

Will wait to hear from you .
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat2013s wrote:
egmat wrote:
gmat2013s wrote:
income.

Hi gmat2013s,

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Hallo Chiranjeev

I will try to connect your questions with this argument to understand if there is really some error in my approach and understanding.

I want to learn maximum from this :)

Definition of assumption - A supporting premise which must be true to reach the conclusion .

Its a bridge between premise and conclusion .

When the bridge will be poorly made [ flawed assumption ] ---> It is unlikely to reach at the conclusion .
When assumption is valid --> Conclusion can be accepted as true or believable

Conclusion - ABC test / why test

Why VC results ?
1. People evade tax by not declaring taxable income
2. lawmakers forced to raise tax rate ---> raising burden to tax payers ---> more evasion --> VC occurs.

Question - VC could not occur unless which of the following statement is valid means if any of the following assumption is not valid then VC could not occur .

or - if any of the assumption is flawed or poorly made[ not true ] then the conclusion breaks [ VC couldn't occur]

Prethink - Lawmakers failed to understand that more tax raise can result more evasion --> loss of more money [ so failure of lawmakers in understanding the effect of tax raise is responsible for VC]

pretax incomes. --------------> Talks about the effect of increased tax rates [ not the underlying assumption which forces the lawmakers to raise tax ]
success rate varies from year to year.--------------> M8 be true but not discussed, also concerned about a subset [ not the entire super set]
be lost through evasion.----------> if this is true occurrence of Vicious cycle is also true
them to evade taxes.------------> No effect on the conclusion - irrelevant

I will be happy if the analysis is ok at all .

Thanks Chiranjeev for your concern .

Will wait to hear from you .

Hi gmat2013s,

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I see a lot of changes from your initial analysis.

First of all, your initial conclusion was: People when evade income tax - --> a vicious cycle occurs --->
Now, your conclusion seems to be (you haven't stated it clearly, so it "seems to be"): Vicious cycle

By the way, you are now correct in conclusion identification. If the assumption is defined as something in the absence of which the conclusion will not hold, then as the question stem says here, we are looking for an option statement without which vicious cycle wont hold. So, the occurrence of vicious cycle is the conclusion.

Now, I also see that you agree with the official answer C. However, since your explanations for accepting option C and rejecting option E are so succinct that I cannot really understand your true logic behind these.

Why do you think without option C, vicious cycle will not result? In other words, why without option C (i.e. if we negate the assumption), the conclusion breaks down?

Also, why do you think option E does not have any impact on the conclusion?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: Duke '15
Send PM
Hallo Chiranjev

Sorry for not specifically mentioning the conclusion part , yes , I have changed the conclusion to " VC rsults "
Question asked - to find the condition unless which VC would not result .
Assumption - If the assumption is defined as something in the absence of which the conclusion will not hold, then
Negation of Option C -During increasing of tax rates if lawmakers allow to incorporate revenue that can be lost through evasion then VC will not occur .

To avoid VC they should incorporate the revenue that can be lost through evasion . If they do not allow then VS would result .

So to occur VC - option C must be true

Option E Negation - Now I understood even if Taxpayers differ from each other with respect to the rate of taxation still VC will result as there is no connection of tax evasion followed by increased tax rate and more evasion - to -disagreement / agreement with the payable tax rates .

Thanks for showing the correct approach and importance of negation .

Will wait to have suggestion from you .
Regards
Sreshtha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmat2013s wrote:
Hallo Chiranjev

Sorry for not specifically mentioning the conclusion part , yes , I have changed the conclusion to " VC rsults "
Question asked - to find the condition unless which VC would not result .
Assumption - If the assumption is defined as something in the absence of which the conclusion will not hold, then
Negation of Option C -During increasing of tax rates if lawmakers allow to incorporate revenue that can be lost through evasion then VC will not occur .

To avoid VC they should incorporate the revenue that can be lost through evasion . If they do not allow then VS would result .

So to occur VC - option C must be true

Option E Negation - Now I understood even if Taxpayers differ from each other with respect to the rate of taxation still VC will result as there is no connection of tax evasion followed by increased tax rate and more evasion - to -disagreement / agreement with the payable tax rates .

Thanks for showing the correct approach and importance of negation .

Will wait to have suggestion from you .
Regards
Sreshtha

Wow Sreshtha! Awesome comeback!

You are precisely correct now. Amazing job :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM