Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 02:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When people predict that certain result will not take place

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
When people predict that certain result will not take place [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 02:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

18% (02:19) correct 82% (02:43) wrong based on 15 sessions
When people predict that certain result will not take place unless a certain action is taken, they believe that they have learned that the prediction is correct when the action is taken and the result occurs. On reflection, however, it often becomes clear that the result admits of more than one interpretation.
Which of the following, if true, best supports the claims above?
(A) Judging the success of an action requires specifying the goal of the action.
(B) Judging which action to take after a prediction is made requires knowing about other actions that have been successful in similar past situations.
(C) Learning whether a certain predictive strategy is good requires knowing the result using that strategy through several trials.
(D) Distinguishing a correct prediction and effective action from an incorrect prediction and ineffective action is often impossible.
(E) Making a successful prediction requires knowing the facts about the context of that prediction.

Found this one interesting, I got it right but will like to see others logic behind it as well. Please explain the reasoning.
Thanks,
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 05:06
nitishmahajan wrote:
When people predict that certain result will not take place unless a certain action is taken, they believe that they have learned that the prediction is correct when the action is taken and the result occurs. On reflection, however, it often becomes clear that the result admits of more than one interpretation.
(A) Judging the success of an action requires specifying the goal of the action. MAYBE - IF EVERYONE SET GOALS THEN THE RESULT FROM CERTAIN ACTION COULD BE DIFFERENT DEPENDING ON THE GOAL BUT STILL SUCCESSFUL WHEN MET.
(B) Judging which action to take after a prediction is made requires knowing about other actions that have been successful in similar past situations. ABOUT RESULTS NOT ACTIONS
(C) Learning whether a certain predictive strategy is good requires knowing the result using that strategy through several trials. NOT TALKING ABOUT STRATEGIES
(D) Distinguishing a correct prediction and effective action from an incorrect prediction and ineffective action is often impossible. OUT OF SCOPE AND DOESNT SUPPORT
(E) Making a successful prediction requires knowing the facts about the context of that prediction. NOT ABOUT PREDICTION BUT ABOUT RESULTS

Found this one interesting, I got it right but will like to see others logic behind it as well. Please explain the reasoning.
Thanks,

I think A because the other 4 seems to be either out of scope or just about prediction but not about the results. the question is about different interpretation of results like "I got a good grade" which from A could mean that diff. people set their own goals for "I got a good grade" and it could be 100,90, passing etc.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 697 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 22:48
IMO B.

(A) Judging the success of an action requires specifying the goal of the action.
[Opposite answer to the conclusion. Incorrect]

(B) Judging which action to take after a prediction is made requires knowing about other actions that have been successful in similar past situations.

(C) Learning whether a certain predictive strategy is good requires knowing the result using that strategy through several trials.
[Strategy and several trials are new info but dont help the conclusion. Incorrect]

(D) Distinguishing a correct prediction and effective action from an incorrect prediction and ineffective action is often impossible.
[This looks tempting because of the part ...people believe that they have learned that the prediction is correct..., but the extreme language makes me rule this out. Incorrect]

(E) Making a successful prediction requires knowing the facts about the context of that prediction.
[No mention of Context. Incorrect]

Whats the OA and OE?

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 44

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 23:03
It should be D.

"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam." - Winston Churchill

As vs Like - Check this link : http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html.

Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 697 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2010, 23:16
Can you explain why D?

nsp007 wrote:
It should be D.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 6

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 09:47
B for me.

I ruled out D for the extreme language.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 04:46
shaselai wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:
(A) Judging the success of an action requires specifying the goal of the action. MAYBE - IF EVERYONE SET GOALS THEN THE RESULT FROM CERTAIN ACTION COULD BE DIFFERENT DEPENDING ON THE GOAL BUT STILL SUCCESSFUL WHEN MET.
(B) Judging which action to take after a prediction is made requires knowing about other actions that have been successful in similar past situations. ABOUT RESULTS NOT ACTIONS
(C) Learning whether a certain predictive strategy is good requires knowing the result using that strategy through several trials. NOT TALKING ABOUT STRATEGIES
(D) Distinguishing a correct prediction and effective action from an incorrect prediction and ineffective action is often impossible. OUT OF SCOPE AND DOESNT SUPPORT
(E) Making a successful prediction requires knowing the facts about the context of that prediction. NOT ABOUT PREDICTION BUT ABOUT RESULTS

Thanks,

I think A because the other 4 seems to be either out of scope or just about prediction but not about the results. the question is about different interpretation of results like "I got a good grade" which from A could mean that diff. people set their own goals for "I got a good grade" and it could be 100,90, passing etc.

Hi,
I see this to be A too.
Since, interpretations differ only when the goals of actions are different and thereby, predictions of actions. However, OA looks like D, and I don know why.
D does sound understandably factual, but distinguishing correct and incorrect predictions/actions is subjective according to the given statements and therefore interpretations vary. Hence, D cannot strengthen because, it deals with a special scenario of only miscuing right predictions to be wrong/vice-versa.
It says, distinguishing is impossible, fine. So...? How does it directly account for several interpretations. D is trying to argue in favor of a few predictions and against few others. But, premise seems to be generic and says only ideas/goals differ.

Pls enlighten!
Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 02:48
B fo me...
D is tempting but yes I rejected because of extrem language. ...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR question [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 07:43
i went with d.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: When people predict that certain result will not take place [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 02:54
I go with B. Anyone know the OA?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 207 [1] , given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: When people predict that certain result will not take place [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 04:52
This post received
KUDOS
OA is D

This is the explanation of testluv from BTG
Quote:
In abstract, the argument can be looked at like this.

The first sentence: "When people predict that certain result will not take place unless a certain action is taken, they believe that they have learned that the prediction is correct when the action is taken and the result occurs."

if action X is not taken, then result Y will not follow. People think that the prediction (no Y) is correct when action X is taken and the result (Y) follows.

In other words, people think that the statement "No X, then No Y" is verified when both X and Y occur. The author's point is that Y's occurence can be due to things other than X (thier simulatenous occurence establishes a mere correlation but not necessarily a causal relationship).

Choices B and C are both outside the scope.

Choice B discusses the SELECTION of action--this is outside the scope as the argument is not at all about WHICH action to take.

Choice C discusses the GOODNESS of a predictive strategy--this is really outside the scope as the argument is not about good vs bad strategies.

If choice D is true--if it is impossible to tell apart a correct prediction/effective action from an incorrect prediction/ineffective action, then it makes more likely the idea that a "result admits of more than one interpretation."

http://www.beatthegmat.com/people-s-pre ... 51038.html

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: When people predict that certain result will not take place [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 16:06
tuanquang269 wrote:
OA is D

Quote:

The first sentence: "When people predict that certain result will not take place unless a certain action is taken, they believe that they have learned that the prediction is correct when the action is taken and the result occurs."

if action X is not taken, then result Y will not follow. People think that the prediction (no Y) is correct when action X is taken and the result (Y) follows.

In other words, people think that the statement "No X, then No Y" is verified when both X and Y occur. The author's point is that Y's occurence can be due to things other than X (thier simulatenous occurence establishes a mere correlation but not necessarily a causal relationship).

Choice B discusses the SELECTION of action--this is outside the scope as the argument is not at all about WHICH action to take.

Choice C discusses the GOODNESS of a predictive strategy--this is really outside the scope as the argument is not about good vs bad strategies.

If choice D is true--if it is impossible to tell apart a correct prediction/effective action from an incorrect prediction/ineffective action, then it makes more likely the idea that a "result admits of more than one interpretation."

Yes, I very much feel A, and the rest are OOS.
D it is.
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: When people predict that certain result will not take place [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:30
D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: When people predict that certain result will not take place [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 22:07
--If people predict X then Y and Y happens then their prediction is valid
--But in reality for Y to happen there might be other conditions then X, or there might be other conditions that go along with X to make the result Y
or there might be no way to distinguish this.

-- we cant specify the goal, goal is to be reached.
-- out of scope,
-- nothing mentioned about trials, so out of scope
-- Correct
-- out of scope
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 10

Re: When people predict that certain result will not take place [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 02:44
tuanquang269 wrote:
OA is D

Quote:

The original answer cannot be D. It has to be B. In simple words the argument tells us that Result B cannot happen without Action A. Where as the Result B can be the result of some other action and does not necessarily ensure that Action A was the reason for this. So When we want a particular result we should weigh in different Actions, C, D, E rather than just A and then decide which action to take. Now look at statement B in hindsight of this explanation and it will appear as the only solution which follows the same lines.

Answer is B

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Manager
Manager

Re: When people predict that certain result will not take place [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 02:49
D is so out of scope!!!

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

Manager
Manager

Re: When people predict that certain result will not take place [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 03:01
My Bad......... D is correct.. Sorry for the incorrect posts guys. The original answer is correct.. This really is a tough one...

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-15-2011

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: When people predict that certain result will not take place [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 18:34
It should be D
Re: When people predict that certain result will not take place   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2011, 18:34