Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [70]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618586 [5]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec [#permalink]
OA is C , Can some one please explain to me why is D wrong ? is there any idiom?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1546 [2]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Re: When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to dec [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I knew the difference between C and E

c)which is not a formally (sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.)
e)which is not formally (sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.)

If we choose E, we have problem with S-V agreement, "his or her instinct are means", that make nonsense. We really need "a" here to resolve the problem with "means" whether this word is plural or singular. In this case, it is singular.

Here is the explanation in dictionary.com
Means (N)

1.Usually, means. (used with a singular or plural verb) an agency, instrument, or method used to attain an end: The telephone is a means of communication. There are several means of solving the problem.
means,
a.
available resources, especially money: They lived beyond their means.
b.
considerable financial resources; riches: a man of means.
something that is midway between two extremes; something intermediate: to seek a mean between cynicism and blind faith.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7792 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
(C) which is not a formally

(D) which is formally not a

In the explanation in the book, "you'll see that the final a is neccessary to modify means."

How does a plural noun "means" need "a" ?

I looked up dictionary, and it says "means" can be both singular and plural.

Then, is "means" in this sentence considered singular becuase of "a verdict"?

Also, in the explanation in the book, "D changes the meaning of the sentence.

How??? :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.22
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:

In the explanation in the book, "you'll see that the final a is neccessary to modify means."

How does a plural noun "means" need "a" ?

I looked up dictionary, and it says "means" can be both singular and plural.

Then, is "means" in this sentence considered singular becuase of "a verdict"?

Also, in the explanation in the book, "D changes the meaning of the sentence.

How??? :shock:

From www.thefreedictionary.com

4. means (used with a sing. or pl. verb) A method, a course of action, or an instrument by which an act can be accomplished or an end achieved.

So as you can see, this isn't a matter of singular or plural: means is plural or singular :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
ichha148 wrote:
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to decide a case according to his or her gut instinct, which are not formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

(A) which are not formally
(B) which are not a formally
(E) which is not formally

Good one;

Here there is clear cut explanation in the previous post about the answer choices. But i feel need explanation about why not D or Why not C ? The plot of the passage is court of law. In making the decision the juror needs to comply according to mentioned procedures in law. Which means that if the a procedure is documented in the law. D changes the meaning of the sentence as the procedure is mentioned as 'NOT SANCTIONED'. Is it possible? So the answer is C- which clear cut identifies the verb agreement error and meaning.

Hope that helps

:banana
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
C. gut instinct, which is not a formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

a formally sanctioned or prohibited means (SUBJECT SINGULAR) goes well with verb IS

formally (adverb) -- sanctioned or prohibited (both adjective) -- means (noun)

sanctioned or prohibited means (adjective + noun )

formally (adverb) is modifying adjectives sanctioned or prohibited.

Therefore, C is grammatically correct.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:
When presented with only circumstantial evidence, a juror tends to decide a case according to his or her gut instinct, which are not formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.

the verb needs to be in singular

the verb needs to be in singular

correct

changes meaning

a formally sanctioned or a formally prohibited means is not the same as
formally sanctioned or formally prohibited means
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Can someone explain the difference between C and D. I am still not convinced with explanations provided.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [4]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankujgupta wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between C and D. I am still not convinced with explanations provided.

In D, there is a meaning change. Which is formally 'not a sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.' Notice that formally here modifies both sanctioned and prohibited'

While in C(or original question), We are given 'which is not a formally sanctioned or prohibited means of reaching a verdict.'. So, here I could say formally modifies only sanctions. Hence, C is preferred over D as C maintain the original meaning.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankujgupta wrote:

Excellent explanation above by abhimahna. Basically in D the adverb "formally" modifies the verb "is", whereas in D the adverb "formally" modifies the adjective "sanctioned". The original sentence conveys the latter meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Send PM
Whats wrong with E.Can any one explain?

ichha148 wrote:

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos