Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 00:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (02:11) correct 19% (00:01) wrong based on 21 sessions
When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's classes, she saw that the roster for her economics class (E) had 26 names, the roster for her marketing class (M) had 28, and the roster for her statistics class (S) had 18. When she compared the rosters, she saw that E and M had 9 names in common, E and S had 7, and M and S had 10. She also saw that 4 names were on all 3 rosters. If the rosters for Professor Wang's 3 classes are combined with no student's name listed more than once, how many names will be on the combined roster?

A. 30
B. 34
C. 42
D. 46
E. 50

Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Nov 2012, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the tags.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 18684
Followers: 3232

Kudos [?]: 22231 [0], given: 2601

Re: When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 02:48
Expert's post
saxenarahul021 wrote:
When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's classes, she saw that the roster for her economics class (E) had 26 names, the roster for her marketing class (M) had 28, and the roster for her statistics class (S) had 18. When she compared the rosters, she saw that E and M had 9 names in common, E and S had 7, and M and S had 10. She also saw that 4 names were on all 3 rosters. If the rosters for Professor Wang's 3 classes are combined with no student's name listed more than once, how many names will be on the combined roster?

A. 30
B. 34
C. 42
D. 46
E. 50


Total # of students 26+28+18-(9+7+10)+4=50.

Answer: E.

For more check ADVANCED OVERLAPPING SETS PROBLEMS

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 117
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 56

Re: When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 19:11
Bunuel wrote:
saxenarahul021 wrote:
When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's classes, she saw that the roster for her economics class (E) had 26 names, the roster for her marketing class (M) had 28, and the roster for her statistics class (S) had 18. When she compared the rosters, she saw that E and M had 9 names in common, E and S had 7, and M and S had 10. She also saw that 4 names were on all 3 rosters. If the rosters for Professor Wang's 3 classes are combined with no student's name listed more than once, how many names will be on the combined roster?

A. 30
B. 34
C. 42
D. 46
E. 50


Total # of students 26+28+18-(9+7+10)+4=50.

Answer: E.

For more check ADVANCED OVERLAPPING SETS PROBLEMS


Hi Bunuel
Lemme know why it is +4 rather than -4

Also please solve through ven-diagram actually my i got wrong while solving in ven diagram....

Rgds
Prasannajeet
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4566
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4454 [0], given: 162

Re: When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 20:40
Expert's post
prasannajeet wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
saxenarahul021 wrote:
When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's classes, she saw that the roster for her economics class (E) had 26 names, the roster for her marketing class (M) had 28, and the roster for her statistics class (S) had 18. When she compared the rosters, she saw that E and M had 9 names in common, E and S had 7, and M and S had 10. She also saw that 4 names were on all 3 rosters. If the rosters for Professor Wang's 3 classes are combined with no student's name listed more than once, how many names will be on the combined roster?

A. 30
B. 34
C. 42
D. 46
E. 50


Total # of students 26+28+18-(9+7+10)+4=50.

Answer: E.

For more check ADVANCED OVERLAPPING SETS PROBLEMS


Hi Bunuel
Lemme know why it is +4 rather than -4

Also please solve through ven-diagram actually my i got wrong while solving in ven diagram....

Rgds
Prasannajeet


When making the Venn diagram here, start by putting in the number of students which are in all 3 sets i.e. 4
Next, E and M had 9 names in common so the overlap of E and M excluding the overlap of all 3 will be 9 - 4 = 5.
Similarly for the E and S overlap and M and S overlap.
Next, E has 26 people and after removing 5 + 4 + 3 = 12, we are left with 14 people who have taken only E. Similarly for M and S too.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 15.92 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]


Now add all the students in the venn diagram = 14 + 5 + 13 + 3+ 4 + 6 + 5 = 50

_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2014, 20:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
When John requested the assistance of a certain professor goodyear2013 2 06 Apr 2014, 11:29
Looking for some company options - for short term goal mygmat2012 2 26 Sep 2011, 05:53
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic looking for serious gmat professor / coach in paris , france PIJR777 7 24 Oct 2010, 08:30
Recommendation from professor when directions say otherwise justin520 6 10 Aug 2007, 18:31
Astronomy professor: Stars twinkle when they are observed Praetorian 6 21 Jul 2005, 20:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

When Professor Wang looked at the rosters for this term's

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.