Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When should I retake the GMAT exam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 11

When should I retake the GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 06:23
Hi,
I had been preparing for GMAT for 3-4 months. I gave many mock tests and prepared a lot from multiple sources.I completed OG 13th edition, read Manhattan SC study guide, did almost all 1000 SC questions, completed Advanced Quant Manhattan, read a lot of ebooks and pdf on different materials that I had and read a lot many things from this site. I gave the following tests and following were the scores I got in every mock test.
GMAT Prep 1---720 (Q:50, V:38)
GMAT Prep 2---720(Q:50, V:37)
Veritas Free Test---710 (Q:48, V:38)
Kaplan Free Test---730(Q:98%, V:66%)
Economist GMAT Tutor Free Test---700 (Q:49, V: 35)
GMAT Pill Free Test---690(Q:49, V:33)
Manhattan 6 practice tests--- 630, 650, 680, 690, 720, 750 (the last 2 I gave just 2 weeks before my preparation).
Also gave GMAT Club free tests available and scored 51 in quant and 40 in verbal.
I gave my GMAT yesterday. This was my first attempt and I was pretty confident that I would score well as my preparation was quite good. My AWA, IR and quant section went well and I was happy with my time management and performance.
I couldn't solve the first verbal question (SC question) and marked a guess. After that, something happened and I lost confidence on every verbal question I was attempting. After my test, when the score came, I was shocked and left devastated. I scored a meager 620 (Q:50, V:25). I have never scored such a low score in any of my practice tests. I got 630 and 650 in first manhattan tests during the times when I had just started my preparation, but never had I scored so low after that. I couldn't believe my score after the level of effort I have put in and the level I achieved in the mock tests.
I am now a bit skeptic and totally confused about what happened and how to tackle this situation as I really want to go to a good business school.
My biggest fear is that even if I am able to score well in my next attempts, would this score remain a blemish on my admission processes??
My GPA is 4 and I have been working for the past almost 2 years.
I would be really obliged if the experts would comment on these fears and if they could help me.
Please if the experts would guide me how to plan for my next GMAT.
Thanks a lot in advance!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 466

Kudos [?]: 1846 [0], given: 29

Re: When should I retake the GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 10:37
Expert's post
Dear Sukant2010,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, here's a 3-month study plan you can use for your retake:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... -students/
I would say --- if you do better on your next GMAT, then it won't be hard at all to put a positive spin on it --- I just had a bad day, but then I performed at my potential. Notice, though, I think it's imperative to do well on the retake --- it will be much harder to convince schools that you are a top student if you have two mediocre performances.

I would also say: you may want to give some attention to your frame-of-mind and ability to handle stress. In all of your future practice tests, make sure you mimic the stress of the testing center as closely as possible. Here are some articles about dealing with stress:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/overcome-g ... y-breathe/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/beating-gmat-stress/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-gmat-b ... g-picture/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/zen-boot-c ... -the-gmat/

I hope all this help you, my friend.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Re: When should I retake the GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2014, 20:27
I would say that it was a bad day for you and exam stress could have added to it, as you mentioned that after losing sight of the first question, you lost confidence. You were scoring high in the mocks and you can get around 730 quite easily with some practice to handle stress. Best of luck for the retake!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 3

Premium Member
Re: When should I retake the GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 08:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yes, all of your sim tests indicate that you are able to score higher than a 620. Judging from your CATs, you seem to really know your stuff, and it sounds like you don't need to repeat another full study plan. Maybe you can use the next month or so to brush up on several topics that might be troubling you. It does sound like though, you got a bad first question, which affected your entire test. On a personal note -- a similar thing happened to me the first time I took the GMAT. I got a bum first question that freaked me out and (I believe) caused me to get a lower score than I anticipated! After taking that first test, I ran home, scheduled the next test for as soon as I could (a month later), brushed up on a couple of topics, and then rocked the GMAT the second time. So I have personal experience in this!

Now that you know what the real GMAT is all about, I am confident that it's possible for you to meet your full potential on this test as well!

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GMATCLUB14
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 11

Re: When should I retake the GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 10:24
BethEconomistGMAT wrote:
Yes, all of your sim tests indicate that you are able to score higher than a 620. Judging from your CATs, you seem to really know your stuff, and it sounds like you don't need to repeat another full study plan. Maybe you can use the next month or so to brush up on several topics that might be troubling you. It does sound like though, you got a bad first question, which affected your entire test. On a personal note -- a similar thing happened to me the first time I took the GMAT. I got a bum first question that freaked me out and (I believe) caused me to get a lower score than I anticipated! After taking that first test, I ran home, scheduled the next test for as soon as I could (a month later), brushed up on a couple of topics, and then rocked the GMAT the second time. So I have personal experience in this!

Now that you know what the real GMAT is all about, I am confident that it's possible for you to meet your full potential on this test as well!

Regards,

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for the motivation. I wanted to ask you something. I prepared for GMAT without any coaching. My preparation was totally self.
Do u think that I should go for any coaching or give the retake with the same level of preparation?
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: When should I retake the GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 14:10
Expert's post
I'd say that you should not go into the next GMAT with the same level of preparation if you want to improve. As you know, it IS possible to prep on a budget! I believe on GMAT Club there is a great thread devoted to free GMAT prep resources.

You can also opt for a paid course that guarantees a certain level of improvement or your money back. Here at the Economist GMAT Tutor, we offer a 50 or 70 point improvement or your money back guarantee. I think other courses may offer something similar. That way, you know that any $$ investment is well worth it.

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GMATCLUB14
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: When should I retake the GMAT exam   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2014, 14:10