Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When should I send GMAT scores to schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Marshall for 2010 matriculation
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

When should I send GMAT scores to schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 10:21
I'm not applying to schools till next Fall but I took the GMAT last December to get it out of the way. At the time I didn't have a good idea yet of where I was going so my 5 school list where I sent my scores to is no longer relevant. My question is would it be too early to send scores to other schools I'm interested in? Should I just wait till the fall when I'm actually applying? If I send scores now will I get on their radar or just be lost in the shuffle of current apps? Probably an irrelevant and silly question but please humor me. Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: When should I send GMAT scores to schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 10:45
I would wait until you are positive what schools you are applying to, a lot can change between now and the fall, perhaps I am from the old school but $28 per school isn't cheap, you don't want to waste it on a school that you end up backing out on. I don't think there's any advantage to be gained by sending early, if anything maybe they'll be awestruck now then have totally forgotten about you by next fall.

just my $0.02
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: When should I send GMAT scores to schools? [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 13:33
I think there is an advantage to send them right away. When I took the GMAT my 710 was 93% and when I decided to send my results 6 months after, it became a 92%. Hence, on my application I had to report a 92%. Not a big difference but not great...

$28 per school is totally immaterial comparing to other costs, unless you think that new GMAT takers will do worse than usual (hence increasing your %), you should send them as soon as possible.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Marshall for 2010 matriculation
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: When should I send GMAT scores to schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 12:00
falibay wrote:
I think there is an advantage to send them right away. When I took the GMAT my 710 was 93% and when I decided to send my results 6 months after, it became a 92%. Hence, on my application I had to report a 92%. Not a big difference but not great...

$28 per school is totally immaterial comparing to other costs, unless you think that new GMAT takers will do worse than usual (hence increasing your %), you should send them as soon as possible.

How do you keep up with what your updated percentiles are?
Current Student

Re: When should I send GMAT scores to schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 12:18
It will tell you when you order your GMAT scores to be sent to schools. Hence you find that out, after... Which is really ridiculous, but then it is the GMAT, I am not expecting much from them...
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

Re: When should I send GMAT scores to schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 12:31
falibay wrote:
It will tell you when you order your GMAT scores to be sent to schools. Hence you find that out, after... Which is really ridiculous, but then it is the GMAT, I am not expecting much from them...

That is the reason I put the percentiles as of the day I took the exam. They are higher, plus there is no guarantee that you would have seen the lower ones anyway. In the end 2 percentage points is not going to matter. I suspect they know the general range of scores they are looking for based on the past.
Current Student

Re: When should I send GMAT scores to schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 12:48
I was concerned about the discrepancy between the reported numbers and the one they would receive when I send the official report. I agree the difference is not major but I still did not want to explain why I had reported a different % than GMAT... just to be on the safe side.
Current Student
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 1

Re: When should I send GMAT scores to schools? [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2009, 18:20
falibay wrote:
I was concerned about the discrepancy between the reported numbers and the one they would receive when I send the official report. I agree the difference is not major but I still did not want to explain why I had reported a different % than GMAT... just to be on the safe side.

i wonder if they would even pay attention given the thousands of apps they need to review. i realized that i put the wrong test date on my haas app. i put the report date (or something like that) instead of the actual test date. in the end, it didn't matter since i still got in. i guess this situation is slightly different, but i wouldn't sweat it. i'd wait until you're certain which schools you want to apply to. i ended up sending reports to schools i was initially going to apply to and then decided not to. i had too many schools on my list and although the programs are great, i wanted to dedicate my efforts to my top choices and not dilute the quality of my apps.

http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

Re: When should I send GMAT scores to schools? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 06:18
My policy is to be prudent with choosing the right schools and not be concerned with using a "free" option, but that's also because I have lots of savings so I won't notice the fee...
Re: When should I send GMAT scores to schools?   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2009, 06:18