Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 23:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When should I take the GMAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

When should I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 06:47
Hi All,

I need recommendation on this. I am planning to do my MBA in 2013. So I will start my application process next year Sept 2012. I have put in about a month of studying through Veritas Prep online course and I am hoping to study for 2 more months. When is a good time for me to take my GMAT? Do you think April is a bit late? I just need a vote of confidence and input. Thanks in Advance....
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When should I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 12:35
Hello there,

It is kind of hard to say. Have you taken some kind of diagnostic test? You need to know your current level because that will give you an idea how hard you need to study. You also need to know what is the required score to get into the MBA programs you look at.

I am in similar situation like you. I am planning to either apply in fall 2012 or in 2013. However, I do not feel very rushed and that is why I did not take the diagnostic test. I have a lot of work ahead, that is for sure. I plan to take the test before June because the GMAT format will change a little bit so I want to avoid extra studying. However, if I do not do well by June, then I guess I will have more material to cover.

So in a sense you have a lot of time but use it wisely. Think about this: if you start now there is a great chance you will get it all done by June. And when you decide to apply you will not have to lose time on studying and you will be able to make a nice application.

Finally, after you cover all the material download the free GMAT test from mba.com to see your current level. If you are scoring at the level you need then it is time to make a schedule. You should not schedule for GMAT before you have an idea where you stand.

Hope it helps :)

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 16

Re: When should I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 12:42
Just keep in mind that in June 2012, GMAC is going to introduce a new section in the GMAT test.

Time to play the game...

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 605 [0], given: 114

Re: When should I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 13:34
The above user brings up an excellent point. The test is changing in June 2012 to get rid of one of the AWA's and add in a new section called integrated reasoning (IR). It is the thought of many that you should really try to take the test before this date. I would recommend that you take one test in late April to give yourself 1 more chance in late May before the new test. But just remember these spots to take the GMAT may fill up quick! In fact, they may already be filling up. Read these two posts to get a better idea and see what is best for you.

will-missing-integrated-reasoning-score-look-bad-124581.html
new-gmat-section-integrated-reasoning-coming-june-124438.html

If you like integrated reasoning, and are familiar with excel spreadsheets, emailing, and just generally the business world, it might be another opportunity for you to get a good separate IR score with little to no studying. If you are looking for the highest score out of 800 though, I would recommend getting it done before the test changes so you don't have to spend ANY time studying for IR.

Let me know if you should have any questions

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Re: When should I take the GMAT? [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 08:12
Thanks guys for the valuable input. I will keep you guys posted and I do need to find my baseline on the diagnostic test. For some reason I have been postponing it thinking that I need more time to prepare for it such as knowing the math formulas etc before taking the diagnostic test.
Re: When should I take the GMAT?   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2011, 08:12