Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 02:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When should I take the Gmat Prep tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ROSS PT 2012
WE 1: Mech Engineer - General Electric - 2yrs
WE 2: Lead Mech Engineer - Ingersoll Rand - 4 yrs
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
When should I take the Gmat Prep tests [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 12:55
My test date is 11/7 and I havent taken any full time tests till now. When should I start taking them and how many do I need to take?
Also, any suggestions on how to tackle the CR questions (for some reason I havent been able to hit more than 7/8 correct out of 10). I have gone over the "CR Bible", that helped a lot but I still feel , I am not quite there .
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: When should I take the Gmat Prep tests [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 13:05
Hello vicksikand,

You should take a practice test now. Otherwise, how well can you really gauge where you are now and figure out what to focus your studying on?

You can see all the various practice tests (including reviews) here:
all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Some people like to save the GMATPrep close to his/her actual exam date as GMATPrep is probably the most representative of the real thing.

Regarding CR - if you're at a 7 or 8 out of 10 strike rate and you're doing difficult problems (650+), this is a fairly strong strike rate. Use an error log to figure out why you're not choosing the right answer.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should I take the Gmat Prep tests [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 06:47
Thanks for your advise ! I got bombed when I did take the 1st CBT yesterday. Scored a paltry 610 (Q47, V27). My time management was sub-par, I managed to complete only 30 Verbal questions and guessed the last 3-4 just for the heck of it(result I attempted 34 Questions(30 really) and had 9 wrong out of them). I am contemplating - how to improve my timing (I believe my Quant basics are pretty strong and so too are my Verbal fundamentals). I believe if I can fine tune my timing - I can score much better(and yeah no guessing at the end).
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1988

Kudos [?]: 6437 [0], given: 3569

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: When should I take the Gmat Prep tests [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 14:05
Expert's post
Your test is pretty close - you should definitely start taking the tests ASAP!
One element of taking tests, just as Mohater said is to understand where you are and what you are missing.

If you have not taken GMAT Prep - definitely take it (download GMATprep) - it will give you a pretty close idea about your final score. Also, you can use http://gmatclub.com/gmat-score-estimate/ to understand where you are.

Depending on what you find out, you may want to consider rescheduling. I am concerned that you are too close to your date and have not done much full-test practice (including AWA).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should I take the Gmat Prep tests [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 16:33
Not taking any full length test till now was a mistake - I agree. I cant go back, but I can surely use the test as a critique of my performance. I share your concern BB and I think I will postpone my GMAT atleast by a couple of weeks and see how I do on the tests.
I read through your approach on the GMAT verbal section: I kind of like the idea of attacking the questions (even the SC's where you prephrased your response based on the error you recognized).

I need to practice, practice and practice for the next couple of weeks - but I think I may not have enough material. I have 6 MGMAT tests+ 1 Gmatprep left(well 3 if I re-install after completing the 2nd test) + 2 powerpreps/gmatpreps(that have been uploaded on this site). I think I may as well buy the 6 tests compiled by the site-members. Any other material you want to suggest?

I have a question-should I do the entire tests or skip the AWA and go directly to the Quant section? I know it wouldnt be very accurate as my brain might not be as fresh on the exam day as it would be during the test condition - but still I would be able to chew down a lot more sections that way. For the first Test I did do the AWA and I dint have much problem. What are your thoughts guys?
Founder
Founder

Re: When should I take the Gmat Prep tests [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 17:19
Expert's post
Ideally you want to do AWA's but many skip them. It is an extra hour, which is quite a bit of time. I'd say you definitely want to do the couple last tests with AWA's. The first ones may not be as critical, but AWA allows you to get the full feel for what energy and endurance are needed for the test.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should I take the Gmat Prep tests [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 18:00
That's fair! BB - could you suggest some practice material - in addition to what I have mentioned in my previous post?
Thanks!
Founder
Founder

Re: When should I take the Gmat Prep tests [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 04:04
Expert's post
vicksikand wrote:
That's fair! BB - could you suggest some practice material - in addition to what I have mentioned in my previous post?
Thanks!

Should be enough. If you run out, you can find others here: all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should I take the Gmat Prep tests [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2009, 05:00
Thanks BB
Re: When should I take the Gmat Prep tests   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2009, 05:00