Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 15:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When should you start panicking.......

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 519
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 14:42
Ntang wrote:
If I were asking them to do something really out of their way to accommodate me, then maybe I would be stupid. But look - the online app system of getting your referees to send their LORs directly through the school's proprietary system, as opposed to accepting them in other ways, is just a way to shove off more of the adcom's work on their applicants. (Maybe they feel like right-clicking on a PDF file sent to them via email and putting it in the right network folder is just too much to ask or something.) I've seen almost no examples of a school requesting truly unique information about the applicant on its rec form - they all ask for the same stuff with different wording.

I'll let you know how it works out. But I think that declining to jump through all the hoops here is a perfectly reasonable preference - they can't expect everyone's boss to have the time or inclination to care about Kellogg or Harvard or whomever's special form. If I'm paying $250 to apply to their horse and pony show, and my actual qualifications are good enough to have a decent shot, then they should be able to overlook my disinclination to worry about their unreasonable requests. And incidentally, the feedback I've gotten from Admissions offices I've asked about this have told me that, though they don't like it, it won't have an "evaluative impact" on my dossier.

Bottom line - if centralized, generalized applications are good enough for law and medical school, then B-schools should shut up and get on the train.


On the flip side, you are asking for admittance into their institution. They owe you nothing...
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 797
Location: Texas
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2008, 19:14
Both recommenders have submitted!!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 07:09
If none of mine are in by Monday, it will be time to get forceful.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 14:56
I'm getting terribly worried, as well. The senior level people in my company are extremely polished and I know they will come through with solid LORs. However, my direct supervisor has poor grammar and writing style, and he has explicitly told me that he plans to "take care of them quickly and turn them around fast", which most likely means he won't spend more than 15-30 minutes on the LOR.

Anyone else in such a predicament? If I were to not use my direct supervisor, it would set off red flags and I would have to explain it. If I use him (which is the choice that I have decided on), I may end up with 1 mediocare at best recommendation and 1 glowing one from a senior guy. They will likely provide a pretty stark contrast as far as content (one being "realistic" and one "overly optimistic) and writing style (one messy and one polished). I have no idea how this is received, but I would hope that it would reflect more on the recommender than the applicant.

I really hope that these don't count for much. I have never heard of anyone being told in a feedback session that their LORs are why they got dinged, and most books on the admission process seem to rank the importance of LORs fairly low. It is truly not my fault if someone can't write and/or if they are a negative person.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 797
Location: Texas
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 15:50
So one of my recommenders is kind of a dufus, and I made sure to have his boss review the letter. However, he checked top 2% on every box on the list of traits. I'm not sure how this will impact my rec. Any ideas? Is this terrible?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 17:11
jb32 wrote:
So one of my recommenders is kind of a dufus, and I made sure to have his boss review the letter. However, he checked top 2% on every box on the list of traits. I'm not sure how this will impact my rec. Any ideas? Is this terrible?


It could be a lot, lot, worse than this. I need to take my own advice in this regard, but recommendations are just unnecessary stress. My plan from now on is to just provide the material to my recommenders and then get out of the way and not think about it again. Recommendations are completely out of your control.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 18:09
terp06 wrote:
Anyone else in such a predicament? If I were to not use my direct supervisor, it would set off red flags and I would have to explain it. If I use him (which is the choice that I have decided on), I may end up with 1 mediocare at best recommendation and 1 glowing one from a senior guy. They will likely provide a pretty stark contrast as far as content (one being "realistic" and one "overly optimistic) and writing style (one messy and one polished). I have no idea how this is received, but I would hope that it would reflect more on the recommender than the applicant.


One of my LORs was similar, but the person (actually, both of them) allowed me to look at the rec and give suggestions for grammatical and structural improvements, so I was saved there. If you can get your supervisor to let you provide some feedback OR ask someone he trusts (like a peer or his boss) to look it over, you should be fine.

I probably wouldn't worry *too* much, but if it's that bad, then I would try to influence the supervisor somehow. LORs are not an important part of the app (unless it's negative), but a very poorly written one will cause some frustration on the adcom's part, and you DON'T want them to remember you for that. :P
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 18:15
kryzak wrote:
terp06 wrote:
Anyone else in such a predicament? If I were to not use my direct supervisor, it would set off red flags and I would have to explain it. If I use him (which is the choice that I have decided on), I may end up with 1 mediocare at best recommendation and 1 glowing one from a senior guy. They will likely provide a pretty stark contrast as far as content (one being "realistic" and one "overly optimistic) and writing style (one messy and one polished). I have no idea how this is received, but I would hope that it would reflect more on the recommender than the applicant.


One of my LORs was similar, but the person (actually, both of them) allowed me to look at the rec and give suggestions for grammatical and structural improvements, so I was saved there. If you can get your supervisor to let you provide some feedback OR ask someone he trusts (like a peer or his boss) to look it over, you should be fine.

I probably wouldn't worry *too* much, but if it's that bad, then I would try to influence the supervisor somehow. LORs are not an important part of the app (unless it's negative), but a very poorly written one will cause some frustration on the adcom's part, and you DON'T want them to remember you for that. :P


I asked him if I could look it over before he submitted today. He declined and told me he will just plan to submit it. He occasionally cracks jokes about his writing, but most people at the company don't find it so funny. His e-mails make him look like a high school dropout.

His boss is the CEO, who likely can't be bothered with doing this. My peers don't know I'm going to business school.

Sticky and tough situation. For my sanity, I'm just going to forget about it and hope the adcom realizes that it is out of my control. After all, there is a reason I am leaving the company and going to business school. If my boss was a true mentor and someone I respected, I would probably continue to work for him.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 347
Location: Greater New York City area
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 16:16
One recommendation done. One more to go !
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2008, 16:46
Just when I was starting to lose hope, both recommenders come through in the clutch today and submitted my Wharton recs and both promise to submit Chicago recs by the weekend. I am one happy camper now.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2005
Posts: 283
Location: Milan
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 12:35
One of my HBS recommenders (an alum) phoned me this morning to tell me that he will only be able to post his reco this upcoming weekend (the deadline is Wednesday).

Does anyone know if Harvard has a bit of flex in accepting recos after the deadline? Should I be worried?

P.
Re: When should you start panicking.......   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2008, 12:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic When should I start communicating with the schools? sam15000 3 03 Apr 2013, 03:40
60 Experts publish their posts in the topic When you should eliminate BEING? The answer is here. Marcab 12 22 Oct 2012, 03:38
1 In this economy, when would you start work? rhyme 20 23 Jan 2009, 14:58
When should you visit the schools? gmatclb 17 04 Jun 2007, 06:40
When applying, should you say that you are retaking the GMAT craig2464 2 18 Dec 2006, 18:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

When should you start panicking.......

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 51 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.