Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When should you start panicking.......

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 05:12
When your rec's have not been submitted yet? What point should you send a reminder e-mail?
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 05:13
terp26 wrote:
When your rec's have not been submitted yet? What point should you send a reminder e-mail?

I started panicking last week, but all my b school friends told me to relax and that 2 weeks is more than enough to get a recommendation done (some said it takes maybe 1-2 days).
Manager
Manager
Schools: Simon '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 05:17
I'm in the same boat Terp. I'm going to give it until a week before. I've been dropping little hints to my two recommenders, but I won't really put the pressure on until it's a bit closer to the deadline. I know that they're busy... it's unfortunate but all part of the fun of this process
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 05:55
Im actually visiting her tonight with a gun.

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 06:10
Well I set a deadline for Oct 1st for one of my recommenders and he hasn't even looked at any yet. Luckily I gave myself some wiggle room there.

I might have to borrow that gun, or start sending white powdered envelopes!

(Ok I bet the NSA will now be reading this thread) lol
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 06:13
Did you mean a gift of cocaine or anthrax? If the former, I know a guy.

:P

"George is getting upset!"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 09:06
Give them a gift before completion which makes them obligated !
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 4

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 09:09
I have the opposite problem -- a couple of my recommenders completed and submitted their forms before we even had a chance to sit down and talk about it :shock:
VP
VP

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 09:37
I was thinking of giving a gift before they submit. Has anyone done this? Is it poor form?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 10:00
Seems like poor form to me. Giving the "gift" before the recommendation just sorta stinks. I just sent a "reminder' email, which my writer responded to quickly.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 10:44
I have one that seems to be on top of things, but I haven't even had the chance to sit down with the other yet! He has agreed to do it, but we have been slammed with new business and we haven't had the time to discuss...

He is quite the word-smith so I am not hugely worried... just a little concerned.

~Sam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 13:26
I don't worry about recs until maybe 2 days before the deadline. It's annoying enough to do one, I'm not going to nag them even more.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 13:43
What are you guys planning on giving your rec as a thank you? And what's your price range?
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 13:47
terp26 wrote:

call them as soon as the thought comes into your head. trust me, this isn't the kind of thing where you want to speak softly.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 15:08
While we are on the subject, see the knowledge vault for information and what's been discussed before.

123-t58750?hilit=Recommendation+gifts
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 16:26
terp26 wrote:
I was thinking of giving a gift before they submit. Has anyone done this? Is it poor form?

This might be tricky if you're in the US or Europe, but it might be absolutely necessary in some cultures.

I did give a small symbolic gift to one of my recommenders from China before they submitted the letter to show my appreciation, but this is a very common thing to do in the PRC. I then followed up with a more substantial gift after I had been admitted. All of my non-Chinese recommenders got a gift before the admission decision day.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 19:30
[quote="hsampath"]While we are on the subject, see the knowledge vault for information and what's been discussed before.

123-t58750?hilit=Recommendation+gifts[/quote]

Thanks!
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2008, 20:21
I've been really lucky and one of my recommenders did them the same day I sent them and my other recommmender did them 2-3 weeks before they were due.

If it hadn't worked out that way, my plan was the send out email reminders at the one month, 2 week and one week mark to make sure they knew the deadline was fast approaching.

RF

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 05:41
I gave one of my recommenders (who is a political operative) a copy of the new Almanac of American Politics. Its like the Bible of Politics and is realeased every other year. Its about $70. I'm not sure what I'm going to give me other recommender. She's really into punk/indie music, so I might pick her up a pair of tickets to a concert probably in the $50 - $100 price range (total).

"Sic volvere parcas..."

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: When should you start panicking....... [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2008, 07:46
I wined and dined both my recommenders before they submitted any applications, I'm going to get them a bottle of champagne or something like that if I get into any schools. If not, then just a thank you card. :?
Re: When should you start panicking.......   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2008, 07:46