Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 11:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When soil is plowed in the spring, pigweed seeds that have

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
When soil is plowed in the spring, pigweed seeds that have [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 23:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (03:15) correct 42% (02:00) wrong based on 19 sessions
14. When soil is plowed in the spring, pigweed seeds that have been buried in the soil all winter are churned up to the surface and redeposited just under the surface. The brief exposure of the seeds to sunlight stimulates receptors. Which have become highly sensitive to sunlight during the months the seeds were buried in the soil, and the stimulated receptors trigger germination. Without the prolonged darkness, followed by exposure to sunlight, the seeds do not germinate.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following statements about a field that will be plowed in the spring and in which pigweed seeds have been buried in the soil all winter?

(A) Fewer pigweed plants will grow in the field if it is plowed only at night than if it is plowed during the day.

(B) Fewer pigweed plants will grow in the field if it is not plowed at all than if it is plowed only at night.

(C) Fewer pigweed plants will grow in the field if it is plowed just before sunrise than if it is plowed just after sunset.

(D) The pigweed seeds that are churned up to the surface of the soil during the plowing will not germinate unless they are redeposited under the surface of the soil.

(E) All of the pigweed seeds that are already on the surface of the soil before the field is plowed will germinate.

try to do this under 2 mins! :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 06:26
1:24, but only because I picked A just after reading first two answers. Not quite safe strategy, but worked this time.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 00:20
ya i was thinking of swapping A and E to force everyone to read each answer, o well, next time.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 10:38
My explaination goes like this. Please correct me as I got OA wrong.

(E) All of the pigweed seeds that are already on the surface of the soil before the field is plowed will germinate.
Extreme language and irrelavent --eliminate

(D) The pigweed seeds that are churned up to the surface of the soil during the plowing will not germinate unless they are redeposited under the surface of the soil.
This one actually makes sense to me and I marked this one as correct. Reason: in the stimulus, focus on the line "The brief exposure of the seeds to sunlight stimulates receptors". Which means that the seeds have to be redeposited under the soil to make germination work. D perfectly captures this point.

(C) Fewer pigweed plants will grow in the field if it is plowed just before sunrise than if it is plowed just after sunset.
Eliminate : Time is irrelavent here because at whatever time seeds are ploughed, they will eventually get the sunlight as and when the sun rise.
I believe that the point here is that whether they are redeposited after a BRIEF EXPOSURE to sunlight or not.

(B) Fewer pigweed plants will grow in the field if it is not plowed at all than if it is plowed only at night.
Eliminate: If seeds are not plowed AT ALL, how will they be able to capture sunlight? Hence, receptors will not be stimulated and germination will not happen

(A) Fewer pigweed plants will grow in the field if it is plowed only at night than if it is plowed during the day.
Eliminate : Time is irrelavent here. Same reasoning as C. :roll: but this one is correct.

Help me out guys.

Thanks
-V
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 21:07
vineet474 wrote:

This one actually makes sense to me and I marked this one as correct. Reason: in the stimulus, focus on the line "The brief exposure of the seeds to sunlight stimulates receptors". Which means that the seeds have to be redeposited under the soil to make germination work. D perfectly captures this point.

yah after re-reading, choice (D) does sound like a contender...however, read this part very carefully --
"pigweed seeds that have been buried in the soil all winter are churned up to the surface and redeposited just under the surface"

see if you catch the point
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 22:47
IMO B.
germination, to the best of my knowledge doesn't happen overnight and there is no evidence in the passage that it does. so plowing at night or day does not make a difference. so A and C are out.
E is completely irrelevant.
D. there is no evidence that direct sunlight actually harms the germination process.
Take B. it says if field is not plowed it will have less germination than when it is plowed at night. now take the "at night" part out. the sentence says the field will have germination if it is plowed and no germination if it is not plowed. perfectly right. there is evidence. hence B

this time, we play for keeps

Intern
Intern

Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 06:12
gtr022001 wrote:
vineet474 wrote:

yah after re-reading, choice (D) does sound like a contender...however, read this part very carefully --
"pigweed seeds that have been buried in the soil all winter are churned up to the surface and redeposited just under the surface"

see if you catch the point

Thanks for showing your interest bro, but I am still not able to catch the point. :| How can "ALL WINTER" make a difference here ? Please explain.

-V
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 11

Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 13:30
@Vineet : lol .. you are right. that makes no sense..

If you go through the conclusion of the stimulus carefully, you will immediately find the reason why D is the incorrect answer choice.

Lets go through that once.
"Without the prolonged darkness, followed by exposure to sunlight, the seeds do not germinate."

The Conclusion says that without prolonged darkness followed by exposure to sunlight (It is not necessarily Brief), seeds do not germinate. That is not what the conclusion signifies

Choice D incorrectly states that only if there is a brief exposure to sunlight, seeds will be able to germinate.

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 20:56
ha ha so harsh for trying to help, what i got from the passage was, b/c the seeds were buried 'all winter', the prolonged darkness allowed the seed to germinate

choice (d) states that the pigweed will not germinate unless they are re-deposited under the surface, which is true, but, what it is really missing is the prolonged darkness that is required...

i guess its not the 'all winter' its the prolonged darkness that is required as Maddy pointed out, my bad.
Intern
Intern

Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 04:02
gtr022001 wrote:
ha ha so harsh for trying to help, what i got from the passage was, b/c the seeds were buried 'all winter', the prolonged darkness allowed the seed to germinate

choice (d) states that the pigweed will not germinate unless they are re-deposited under the surface, which is true, but, what it is really missing is the prolonged darkness that is required...

i guess its not the 'all winter' its the prolonged darkness that is required as Maddy pointed out, my bad.

I got your point when you say that "it is not ONLY brief exposure to sunlight that will cause the seeds to germinate" and choice D) is indeed wrong.
However, option A) (the correct answer) is also not helping the cause. Here goes..

So,if the seeds are burried "all winter" ( prolonged DARKNESS), and then plowed(whether day or night) , they will eventually get the sun light they require to germinate. How can this time factor can make a difference here and that fewer pigweed plants will grow in the field if it is plowed only at night than if it is plowed during the day?

Thanks,
-V
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 18:06
sorry vineet474, but i think i led you astray with my previous posts, so looking at this again, between (A) and (D)

this is true, b/c the greater chance of germinating would be when there is sunlight (brief exposure stimulates receptors)

(D) The pigweed seeds that are churned up to the surface of the soil during the plowing will not germinate unless they are redeposited under the surface of the so

not true, b/c depending on when the plowing takes place, day or night, if its in the day, then yes it will germinate (if there is sunlight). if it is at night, then no, it will not germinate

i think this will be my last crack at this question...
Re: LSAT: Pigweed seeds   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2011, 18:06