Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When storing Renaissance oil paintings, museums conform to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 3

When storing Renaissance oil paintings, museums conform to [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 06:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

73% (02:35) correct 27% (01:39) wrong based on 199 sessions
When storing Renaissance oil paintings, museums conform to standards that call for careful control of the surrounding temperature and humidity, with variations confined within narrow margins. Maintaining this environment is very costly, and recent research shows that even old oil paint is unaffected by wide fluctuations in temperature and humidity. Therefore, museums could relax their standards and save money without endangering their Renaissance oil paintings.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Renaissance paintings were created in conditions involving far greater fluctuations in temperature and humidity than those permitted by current standards.
B. Under the current standards that museums use when storing Renaissance oil paintings, those paintings do not deteriorate at all.
C. Museum collections typically do not contain items that are more likely to be vulnerable to fluctuations in temperature and humidity than Renaissance oil paintings.
D. None of the materials in Renaissance oil paintings other than the paint are vulnerable enough to relatively wide fluctuations in temperature and humidity to cause damage to the paintings.
E. Most Renaissance oil paintings are stored in museums located in regions near the regions where the paintings were created.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Can somebody provide the explanation for the OA?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 17

Re: Renaissance oil paintings [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
Sure abhi. The argument is that since paint on the paintings is unaffected by changes in temperature & humidity the museum should relax their standards & save money. Only D touches both points. If the system was in place for proctecting something besides paint then the claim that they should relax standards is significantly weakened. Kudos if that makes sense :-D

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 6

Re: Renaissance oil paintings [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 14:32
This post received
KUDOS
abhi758 wrote:
When storing Renaissance oil paintings, museums conform to standards that call for careful control of the surrounding temperature and humidity, with variations confined within narrow margins. Maintaining this environment is very costly, and recent research shows that even old oil paint is unaffected by wide fluctuations in temperature and humidity. Therefore, museums could relax their standards and save money without endangering their Renaissance oil paintings.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Renaissance paintings were created in conditions involving far greater fluctuations in temperature and humidity than those permitted by current standards.
B. Under the current standards that museums use when storing Renaissance oil paintings, those paintings do not deteriorate at all.
C. Museum collections typically do not contain items that are more likely to be vulnerable to fluctuations in temperature and humidity than Renaissance oil paintings.
D. None of the materials in Renaissance oil paintings other than the paint are vulnerable enough to relatively wide fluctuations in temperature and humidity to cause damage to the paintings.
E. Most Renaissance oil paintings are stored in museums located in regions near the regions where the paintings were created.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Can somebody provide the explanation for the OA?

A. Renaissance paintings were created in conditions involving far greater fluctuations in temperature and humidity than those permitted by current standards. --> This strengthens the argument but not an assumption in anyway.

B. Under the current standards that museums use when storing Renaissance oil paintings, those paintings do not deteriorate at all. --> again strengthens but not an assumption
C. Museum collections typically do not contain items that are more likely to be vulnerable to fluctuations in temperature and humidity than Renaissance oil paintings. --> It is clearly stated that such methods are used only when 'storing Renaissance oil paintings'
D. None of the materials in Renaissance oil paintings other than the paint are vulnerable enough to relatively wide fluctuations in temperature and humidity to cause damage to the paintings. --> the argument mentions 'old paint' as being resistant, clearly assuming the canvas painted on and maybe even the frame are also resistant.
E. Most Renaissance oil paintings are stored in museums located in regions near the regions where the paintings were created. --> No mention of any regions.

So D.

The Legion dies, it does not surrender.

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Renaissance oil paintings [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 12:17
Expert's post
Choice D is the best. Basically, the passage only takes into account the paint. There is certainly more toconsider than the paint used in Renaissance art. The author's reasoning is incomplete.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: When storing Renaissance oil paintings, museums conform to [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 22:57
This post received
KUDOS
On regarding question,now i came to know about storing Renaissance oil paintings carefully with some essential instructions discussed on this forum. I want to know about the rarely shown "Michelangelo paintings"
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: When storing Renaissance oil paintings, museums conform to [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2014, 04:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: When storing Renaissance oil paintings, museums conform to   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2014, 04:05