Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When the government of a nation announced recently that a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
When the government of a nation announced recently that a [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 05:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
When the government of a nation announced recently that a leader of the nation’s political opposition had died of a mysterious illness in prison, few seasoned observers of the regime were surprised. As the police captain in an old movie remarked when asked about the condition of a prisoner, “We’re trying to decide whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape.”
The statements above invite which of the following conclusions?
(A) The opposition leader was probably killed trying to escape from prison.
(B) The opposition leader may not be dead at all.
(C) It is unlikely that the head of the regime knows the true cause of the opposition leader’s death.
(D) The opposition leader probably killed himself.
(E) The regime very likely was responsible for the death of the opposition leader.

OA is E but not able to understand the logic behind it. Please explain.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR Q [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 07:17
nitishmahajan wrote:
When the government of a nation announced recently that a leader of the nation’s political opposition had died of a mysterious illness in prison, few seasoned observers of the regime were surprised. As the police captain in an old movie remarked when asked about the condition of a prisoner, “We’re trying to decide whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape.”
(A) The opposition leader was probably killed trying to escape from prison. NO INFO GIVEN EXCEPT SOME COMMENT.
(B) The opposition leader may not be dead at all. NO INFO SUPPORTS IT
(C) It is unlikely that the head of the regime knows the true cause of the opposition leader’s death. FEW SEASONED OBSERVERS WERE SURPRISED SO THEY PROBABLY KNEW
(D) The opposition leader probably killed himself. AGAIN NO SUPPORT EXCEPT SPECULATION
(E) The regime very likely was responsible for the death of the opposition leader. VERY LIKELY.

Just from normal deduction you can see E is prob the correct answer. Another reasoning i see possible is that few seasoned observers of the regime were surprised. That tells me they are probably "expecting" the death to happen sooner or later so it suggests the death is already predetermined. kudos.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Q [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 07:33
shaselai wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:
(A) The opposition leader was probably killed trying to escape from prison. NO INFO GIVEN EXCEPT SOME COMMENT.
(B) The opposition leader may not be dead at all. NO INFO SUPPORTS IT
(C) It is unlikely that the head of the regime knows the true cause of the opposition leader’s death. FEW SEASONED OBSERVERS WERE SURPRISED SO THEY PROBABLY KNEW
(D) The opposition leader probably killed himself. AGAIN NO SUPPORT EXCEPT SPECULATION
(E) The regime very likely was responsible for the death of the opposition leader. VERY LIKELY.

Just from normal deduction you can see E is prob the correct answer. Another reasoning i see possible is that few seasoned observers of the regime were surprised. That tells me they are probably "expecting" the death to happen sooner or later so it suggests the death is already predetermined. kudos.

Well I thought the same but then as the statement mentions that they were surprised to know about the death but that doesn't support that they were responsible for it.. so was kinda of confused with it..
Anyway thanks :)
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Q [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 07:47
Agree with E

Nice one

----
(1:41)

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Q [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 07:53
nitishmahajan wrote:
(C) It is unlikely that the head of the regime knows the true cause of the opposition leader’s death.
(E) The regime very likely was responsible for the death of the opposition leader.

My reasoning:

Lets take the example(Note: just an analogy) stated:
As the police captain in an old movie remarked when asked about the condition of a prisoner, “We’re trying to decide whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape.”
==> It implies that police captain clearly helped in killing.

Also, few observers surprised ==> reflect that there *may* be some observers who are not surorised and to them it was expected.

Hence E.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Q [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 08:04
the example of police captain is giving the clue.

His remark : "we are trying to decide..."

DECIDE?? If the leader died on his own, for a legitimate reason, why the need to decide? captain should have simply stated the reason. They will only take a decision on the reason of death when the reason has to be manipulated by them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Q [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 08:54
sudeep wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:

My reasoning:

As the police captain in an old movie remarked when asked about the condition of a prisoner, “We’re trying to decide whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape.”

Also, few observers surprised ==> reflect that there *may* be some observers who are not surorised and to them it was expected.

Hence E.

Thanks Sudeep .. ! makes it easier for me to understand... btw just curious whats this 1:41 in ur signature ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Q [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 08:55
rashminet84 wrote:
the example of police captain is giving the clue.

His remark : "we are trying to decide..."

DECIDE?? If the leader died on his own, for a legitimate reason, why the need to decide? captain should have simply stated the reason. They will only take a decision on the reason of death when the reason has to be manipulated by them.

Thanks Rashmi ! it helped ! :)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Q [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 11:18
nitishmahajan wrote:
sudeep wrote:
nitishmahajan wrote:

My reasoning:

Also, few observers surprised ==> reflect that there *may* be some observers who are not surprised and to them it was expected.

Hence E.

Thanks Sudeep .. ! makes it easier for me to understand... btw just curious whats this 1:41 in ur signature ?

I timed my answers with the stop watch on my screen. I read someone's review and he suggested to keep track of time for each question.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Q [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 12:04
My reasoning:

Also, few observers surprised ==> reflect that there *may* be some observers who are not surprised and to them it was expected.

Hence E.[/quote]

Thanks Sudeep .. ! makes it easier for me to understand... btw just curious whats this 1:41 in ur signature ?[/quote]

I timed my answers with the stop watch on my screen. I read someone's review and he suggested to keep track of time for each question.[/quote]

Hmmm nice strategy !
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Q [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 00:05

Vey likely indeed.
Re: CR Q   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2009, 00:05