Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When the new lawn mower quit working, Carl’s anger toward

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

When the new lawn mower quit working, Carl’s anger toward [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 12:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:31) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 37 sessions
When the new lawn mower quit working, Carl’s anger toward it was unleashed and he kicked the gate and broke it.
a) Carl’s anger toward it was unleashed and he kicked the gate and broke it
b) Carl became angry and the gate was kicked and broke
c) Carl’s anger toward it was unleashed and it was broken when he kicked the gate
d) Carl became angry and he kicked the gate and broke it
e) Carl kicked the gate and broke it when it angered him

Please need help with following questions

The OA is D
Does D need comma between 2 independent clauses to be correct (FANBOYS rule?)

d) Carl became angry, and he kicked the gate and broke it
----------------------------

12. Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren, and this is why they didn’t make it to the opening night of the new theater performance.
a) Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren, and this is why they couldn’t
b) The grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary wouldn’t let them go, so this is the reason
c) The fact that Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary didn’t want to leave their grandchildren is the reason why they didn’t
d) This being the reason why Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary didn’t want to leave their grandchildren and couldn’t
e) The problem was that Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t leave their grandchildren and that is why they hadn’t

OA is C
is in C a Vague pronoun?
C) The fact that Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary didn’t want to leave their grandchildren is the reason why they didn’t make it
It is not clear who (Mr or Mrs O'leary) or their grandchildren didn't make it
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 203

Kudos [?]: 296 [3] , given: 5

Re: GMAT Club ultimate grammar TEST 3 Q#7 and Q#12 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 17:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
For your first question about the comma, you will find the the GMAT rarely tests proper comma usage in sentence correction. You might find commas testing when using the word 'which' (requires a comma) or when you need to include a comma to create a 3+ item list. On the whole, however, you will only use commas as signals that the problem is testing you on modifiers or parallelism.

As for vague pronouns (pronoun ambiguity), the GMAT has a surprising tolerance for them. That means you need to learn to tolerate them as well. If the GMAT is testing pronoun ambiguity, there will be some splits with ambiguous pronouns and some with the repeated noun (very rare). Focus instead on logical pronoun usage (using pronoun replacement) and number agreement.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 75

Re: GMAT Club ultimate grammar TEST 3 Q#7 and Q#12 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 18:54
@KyleWiddison
kudos +1 for you

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Club ultimate grammar TEST 3 Q#7 and Q#12 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 09:53
In the second question, the correct answer is C and 'they' properly refers to Mr & Mrs O'Leary. In the context of the original sentence meaning, option C is the right answer. The meaning of Original sentence says : Mr & Mrs O' Leary missed the performance coz they could'nt getaway from grandchildren. So it will be nonsensical to think that 'they' can refer to grandchildren or all (Mr & Mrs O'leary & grandchildren).

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Club ultimate grammar TEST 3 Q#7 and Q#12 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 13:13
Why is A wrong for the second question ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Club ultimate grammar TEST 3 Q#7 and Q#12 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 13:22
maitraab wrote:
Why is A wrong for the second question ?

In option A: Parallelism error between two verbs. couldn’t get away and.....and this is why they didn’t . Here 'and' is a marker to find this error.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 97

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Club ultimate grammar TEST 3 Q#7 and Q#12 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 12:29
12. Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren, and this is why they didn’t make it to the opening night of the new theater performance.
a) Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren, and this is why they couldn’t
b) The grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary wouldn’t let them go, so this is the reason
c) The fact that Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary didn’t want to leave their grandchildren is the reason why they didn’t
d) This being the reason why Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary didn’t want to leave their grandchildren and couldn’t
e) The problem was that Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t leave their grandchildren and that is why they hadn’t

what is wrong with A here..

seems perfectly fine.. the AND and the parellelims
the meaning

what is wrong with A?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Club ultimate grammar TEST 3 Q#7 and Q#12 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 16:45
KyleWiddison wrote:
For your first question about the comma, you will find the the GMAT rarely tests proper comma usage in sentence correction. You might find commas testing when using the word 'which' (requires a comma) or when you need to include a comma to create a 3+ item list. On the whole, however, you will only use commas as signals that the problem is testing you on modifiers or parallelism.

As for vague pronouns (pronoun ambiguity), the GMAT has a surprising tolerance for them. That means you need to learn to tolerate them as well. If the GMAT is testing pronoun ambiguity, there will be some splits with ambiguous pronouns and some with the repeated noun (very rare). Focus instead on logical pronoun usage (using pronoun replacement) and number agreement.

KW

For question -2 , looks like A is correct answer.
please check this --->
mr-and-mrs-o-leary-sc-135502.html
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 203

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Club ultimate grammar TEST 3 Q#7 and Q#12 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 10:33
Expert's post
I would tend to agree with the discussion on the other post suggesting A as the correct answer. "The fact that" is almost always viewed as overly wordy and therefore not found in correct answers (our discussion about tolerating pronoun ambiguity is still valid).

The posted OA on this question is listed as C - please verify the OA on this post.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Club ultimate grammar TEST 3 Q#7 and Q#12 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 10:51
Slywork wrote:
Please need help with following questions
-------------------------
7. When the new lawn mower quit working, Carl’s anger toward it was unleashed and he kicked the gate and broke it.
a) Carl’s anger toward it was unleashed and he kicked the gate and broke it
b) Carl became angry and the gate was kicked and broke
c) Carl’s anger toward it was unleashed and it was broken when he kicked the gate
d) Carl became angry and he kicked the gate and broke it
e) Carl kicked the gate and broke it when it angered him

The OA is D
Does D need comma between 2 independent clauses to be correct (FANBOYS rule?)

You are correct if the usage of FANBOYS rule, the comma will separate the two independent clauses.
However, in this sentence, choice D is the most correct answer. Clearer, you should notify that the clause "When..." is the dependent clause, and this clause modifies other independent clause(s).

If When-clause just modifies "Carl became angry", then the clause "He kicked the gate and broke it" would be vague. So, the two remain clauses are parallel in logic and structure. Hence, non-existence of comma is appropriate.

Hope that helps

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: When the new lawn mower quit working, Carl’s anger toward [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 06:27
Hi,
In Q1
"7. When the new lawn mower quit working, Carl’s anger toward it was unleashed and he kicked the gate and broke it."

What is wrong with the OA? More specifically, why is " Carl became angry" preferred over "Carl’s anger toward it was unleashed"? It appears to me that there is a slight change in meaning:
he had previous angers towards the gate, and all of it was unleashed when the lawn mover quit working
vs
he became angry the moment the quit working

Thx!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 38

Re: When the new lawn mower quit working, Carl’s anger toward [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 14:37
I agree with the suggestion that answer A is better for the second question. I believe answe C changes the original meaning. The original meaning is that the grandparents couldnt get away from their children. There can be many reasons for this. Answe C implies that they didnt want to leave their children. To me this is not the same.c

P.S

This is why I strongly refrain from questions other than the ones from the official guides.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: When the new lawn mower quit working, Carl’s anger toward [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2014, 19:51
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: When the new lawn mower quit working, Carl’s anger toward   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2014, 19:51