Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 228 [2] , given: 974

When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 03:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (01:44) correct 31% (00:43) wrong based on 96 sessions
When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials estimated they
would need 200 additional polling apparatus
by 2010.

(A) they would need 200 additional polling apparatus
(B) they would mean that 200 additional polling apparatus would be needed
(C) that it would be necessary to add 200 polling apparatus
(D) the counts would create the need for additional polling apparatus
(E) that 200 additional polling apparatus would be needed
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 228 [1] , given: 974

Re: voting in Montana [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2010, 03:11
This post received
KUDOS
Here is an explanation:

Whenever you find a pronoun in the underlined part, you should be alerted of a possible error relating to it in the sentence. A quick glance at the answer choices shows that one of them replaces the plural pronoun “they” with the singular pronoun “it,” and two others omit the pronoun altogether, thereby confirming the
suspicion.

(E) also avoids the pronoun and has conjunction 'that', and it uses correct tense
“would be needed.”

If you like my question, You can give KUDOS
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 109

Kudos [?]: 250 [1] , given: 22

Re: voting in Montana [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 17:14
This post received
KUDOS
Nice job, feruz77!

One other thing to add here - get used to seeing the word "that" as a separator between a verb and a new subject, like you have here:

Officials estimated THAT 200 additional apparatus would be needed

The GMAT will often include answer choices that incorrectly put a new subject (estimated they) or verb (estimated needing) right next to the dominant verb of the sentence. Here, we need the word "that" to separate the two clauses "officials estimated" and "additional apparatus would be needed".

Much like feruz mentioned about seeing pronouns in answer choices, the presence of the word "that" in some answer choices often leads you to a decision point, either when a spacer is needed as it was here, or in the case of:

"that of" (or "those of") when you may need to determine whether you need that pronoun for a comparison. e.g. "Google's engineering budget is twice THAT OF Microsoft" (not sure if that's true though). When "that" is present in some answer choices, look to see if you can make a decision as to whether it's required.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 358 [0], given: 109

Re: voting in Montana [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 07:45
+1 E

Elegant question. I think that this is the type of question you will see in the current real GMAT. Do you agree Brian?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 109

Kudos [?]: 250 [0], given: 22

Re: voting in Montana [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 10:28
Hey Metallica,

Yes, I do agree - a few things that I think make this a pretty good GMAT-worthy question (not to say that others on here aren't! I think there are a ton of great questions to study from on here, obviously) are:

-The use of the tricky-plural word "apparatus"...it makes most of us feel uncomfortable, but it's not a decision point here so it doesn't even have a chance to matter. But its awkward presence makes the sentence not "sound right" in any form, making decisions tougher.

-The singular/plural Pronoun decision point in A, B, and C helps to eliminate C, but D and E don't use a pronoun...in this way, they can "throw you off the scent" of what's really important here. Most GMAT questions will involve more than one decision.

This one definitely has that feel to it that you won't be fully satisfied with the correct answer in that "that's exactly how I would have written it!" way, but systematic analysis of the question should lead you to the right answer, regardless.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

Re: When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 01:16
When I read this statement, I immediately narrowed down to between C and E as estimated requires that. However, E seemed better choice as it eliminated the use of "it" altogether. However, why is "it" wrong there? can someone please explain that to me.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 05:11
Is they supposed to be underlined in this sentence because, " When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials estimated they that 200 additional polling apparatus would be needed."

Which sounds wrong. But, if they is supposed to be underlined I am in agreement with all of the above.

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 10:13
Could anybody explain me what is wrong with option D apart from wordiness?
Re: When the votes were counted in 2005, Montana officials   [#permalink] 13 May 2014, 10:13