Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When to apply for B-Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 01:04
Hi,

I have few queries regarding application to the B-Schools.

1) When should we apply for B-Schools?
People say we should apply even before taking up the GMAT test.
But then we would not be having the scores to apply to the B-schools.

2) Should you apply immediaely to the B-schools once you register for the GMAT test?

3) Do you apply to the B-Schools by visiting their website?

Thanks
Sandeep
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 429 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 01:24
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Sandeep,

Applying to b-school is a marathon. Many people spend up to a whole year preparing b-school applications. A lot depends on which b-school you are applying to and what your post graduation aims are. Perhaps if you clarify those details the helpful people here will be able to assist you further.

Normally, people first prepare and sit the GMAT test. Once happy with their scores, they put together a set of essays for the school they wish to apply to. Both these tasks (GMAT and essays) are very draining and require a lot of effort, so it is not advisable to do them simultaneously.

Most b-schools have an online application form (which you find when you visit their website). There is also an application fee which varies from USD 200 - 300 depending on the school.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 02:02
Hi,

Thanks.

Some more queries.

1) I have heard when you pay the fees for GMAT test, it covers application fees for 5 universities.
2) I have as well heard that you need to apply to B-schools even before taking up the test. How is this possible ?
3) What kind of essays does one need to send to B-schools ?

Thanks
Sandeep
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 02:31
You need to take the GMAT before applying. All schools require this as part of their app. The fee is $250, and it allows you to send your score to 5 schools, but does not cover the application costs at all.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 06:23
applying to b-school is not just a one day thing, so there's not much of an "apply *before* GMAT".

You should register for the GMAT right now (never hurts to start early), and take it in 2-3 months (after studying). Refer to our GMAT Forums for tips and tricks.

While you're studying, make a list of schools you want to look at. You should have roughly 10-15 schools ranging in the Ultra Elite down to whatever level you believe you're competitive in (use Ask Accepted.com or Ask MBA Game Plan or just ask any of us to determine your potential ability with a profile).

This way, when you take the test, you know the top 5 schools on our list that you most likely will apply to, and you can send your scores to those schools.

Then the application begins with essays, recommendation letter preparation, and all sorts of crazy stuff. That will take you an average of 1 month per school. Start early, aim for an October submission for all your schools, since it's going to be tough next year!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 06:47
I wud strongly advise against doin nethin before takin the GMAT apart from a little research bout the schools u wid like 2 go 2. I know that u can send scores to 5 schools for free but I donno how many people actually end up applyin to those schools. I for one applied to just a couple of them n m sure most of the guys on this forum r on the same boat. As u collect more information u r likely 2 change n refine the list of schools that u will apply 2. I wud say that when u do give the GMAT u will not have all the info required to apply to the schools so the 5 schools will just b a tentative list. I know u can save a little money but I wud suggest u not 2 bother 2 much bout money coz I am sure u will end up spendin a lot more than u anticipate. So my tk on ur question is:
1. Little research on which schools to apply 2 n make a tentative list of 5 schools
2. Many people refine their list after the GMAT score so make sure the list includes schools that hv a lowere avg gmat score, medium n high because u never know wat score u r gonna end up with
3. Put all ur energy into GMAT coz I believe that is ur best shot at gettin a gr8 score
4. After u r done with the GMAT tk a little break n then get down to the application part n believe me this part is the most confusing n taxing part of the whole process

My deadlines:
Finish the GMAT by August n then start applyin 2 round 1 schools. Most schools start rd 1 apps in September n then it goes on. Hope this helps,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 07:02
700willdo wrote:
I wud strongly advise against doin nethin before takin the GMAT apart from a little research bout the schools u wid like 2 go 2. I know that u can send scores to 5 schools for free but I donno how many people actually end up applyin to those schools. I for one applied to just a couple of them n m sure most of the guys on this forum r on the same boat. As u collect more information u r likely 2 change n refine the list of schools that u will apply 2. I wud say that when u do give the GMAT u will not have all the info required to apply to the schools so the 5 schools will just b a tentative list. I know u can save a little money but I wud suggest u not 2 bother 2 much bout money coz I am sure u will end up spendin a lot more than u anticipate. So my tk on ur question is:
1. Little research on which schools to apply 2 n make a tentative list of 5 schools
2. Many people refine their list after the GMAT score so make sure the list includes schools that hv a lowere avg gmat score, medium n high because u never know wat score u r gonna end up with
3. Put all ur energy into GMAT coz I believe that is ur best shot at gettin a gr8 score
4. After u r done with the GMAT tk a little break n then get down to the application part n believe me this part is the most confusing n taxing part of the whole process

My deadlines:
Finish the GMAT by August n then start applyin 2 round 1 schools. Most schools start rd 1 apps in September n then it goes on. Hope this helps,

I agree with 700willdo. My plan was this:

1) Start studying in early May for the GMAT
2) Focus squarely on the GMAT study process
3) Take GMAT end of July
4) Fly to China/Japan for 2 weeks (do some reading about b-school apps / b-school selection on the plane rides)
5) Hit the ground running when I got back on school applications

It worked well for me. I might suggest that it could have been useful to have another month to do more school research, so moving the timeline up a month might be helpful. I also was fortunate to take the GMAT only once - if you feel like you would take the GMAT over again if you didn't get the score you wanted, the extra month could be useful for that purpose as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 07:09
700willdo wrote:

My deadlines:

Good lord... that reads like a text message on a cellphone!
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 08:22
rhyme wrote:
700willdo wrote:

My deadlines:

Good lord... that reads like a text message on a cellphone!

Rhyme,
I was just going to post the same. I guess that's the GenX-GenY divide. It's the language of the 'sms' generation. I did not own a mobile until 24, so I can't type that way even if I wanted to :roll:

Sandeep,

Did not mean to take thread off track, but I think you misunderstood picking schools for the score report as applying to them. All you will do before the GMAT starts is select 5 schools where you want your score report to be sent. I did not apply to 3 of the 5 schools I picked so don't worry too much.
Quote:
2) I have as well heard that you need to apply to B-schools even before taking up the test. How is this possible ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 10:02
700willdo, good post with good info, but could you help us "older generation" folks by not using "SMS talk?" :) It's a lot easier to read when it's in full English. Thanks. :)

But yes, definitely research the schools, heck, since classes are all in session, GO VISIT THE SCHOOLS now if you can while you're studying for the GMAT. That's the beauty of starting early.

For me, I sent my scores to 5 schools, Haas, Stanford, Anderson, Chicago, and Kellogg. I applied to all but Chicago (because I just couldn't do 1 more application, not because I didn't want to apply to GSB). I did my research before taking the GMAT (June/July time frame), thus saved a lot of money sending reports to other schools. :)

Good luck!

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 10:13
It appears that a significant key to success is having your apps in (and in top top shape) for the Round 1 deadlines.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 10:25
it looks like R1 is the key for this year and next. I think if I applied to Kellogg R1, I would have been in (comparing with some co-workers whom I know very well), but right now, I think I'm a borderline case for R2.

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 11:56
700willdo wrote:
nethin

At first I thought you were writing "nothing" in some sort of twisted Southern accent.

svrider - don't lump us other Gen Yers in with practitioners of this gobbledygook! :lol:

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 12:14
kryzak wrote:
it looks like R1 is the key for this year and next. I think if I applied to Kellogg R1, I would have been in (comparing with some co-workers whom I know very well), but right now, I think I'm a borderline case for R2.

Although I think it would be great to have you with us at Chicago's are, stop whining; you're not leaving California :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Attending Stanford
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 12:25
kwam wrote:
kryzak wrote:

Although I think it would be great to have you with us at Chicago's are, stop whining; you're not leaving California :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn right. We need more gmatclubbers on the west coast :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 12:26
Heck yeah, There are too many of you in Chicago. We need a few more out here. :)

Terry and I will be the Prez and VP of the new "West Side GMATClub" Chapter. :P

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 13:25
I am representin' the WEST SIDE!!!
Quote:
Damn right. We need more gmatclubbers on the west coast :-D

I took (apparently) a different approach. I started equesting info packs from schools about 1.5 years ago. It was free, and it managed to give me a notion of what they schools wanted to convey about themselves before I started applying or even thinking of it. Sure, it is marketing fluff, but if for example they dont even MENTION an operations class in their 40 page pamphlet - not a school I would pick for operations. Etc, etc. Kind of helped to get a feel for the schools I thought.

Then I took the GMAT with a list of say 10 schools - knowing that once I got my score i would try to narrow further (in case my score meant I had no chance at some schools) until i reached 4 or 5 schools.

In the end I applied to 4. Seemed to work pretty well.

Also, uhh...maybe it is just my annoying workday talking, but you can look up the applications online(and the questions contained within) - it seems like no research was done at all before making the original post...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1528 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 13:43
I was curious to see if the sms post could be made more confusing, so I ran in through babelfish into french to german to greek to portguese back to enligsh.

Wud I advise in special against the a nethin doin before Takis the GMAT independently of few accesses of the inquiry wid pupil u until the 2 bets 2, me I know that u can send the points to the 5 schools for free donno but the I how many people finish really to the cimeira applyin to the these schools. I for applied exactamente the some these certain n m the majority of the types to the this fórum r to the same boat. So that u coleccione that more than change of 2 NS u of the clean r of information probably the list of schools of u will be applied the 2. wud me sample that when it gives to u u GMAT does not demand all the way information that are in vigor for the schools thus the 5 schools they want the right b an experimental list. I know u it I can that it earns of little money but wud u considers the problem of 2,2 great parts of the money coz of the access me would not be certain that u will finish more to the cimeira spendin much u it foresees. Consequentemente tk mine to the subject ur is: 1. The little inquiry of which informs in way that wall lamp 2 NS stimulates with an experimental list of 5 2, schools a great part of the way people that are cleaned its list since assure thus points GMAT that the list understands the schools that GH of the points gmat avg lowere, raised one of the half given n that u never u the r of points of the energy wat to finish for above with 3. all the shares ur coz the GMAT that it is rank me believes of that OF MORNING ur more good took off with gettin gr8 of elements 4, since receives u the r that it is applied seguidamente cannot the point minimum with part n of the application considers of it presents to the part is more n of confusion imposing an entire part of the procedure my stated periods: The NS of August stop the GMAT it start schools 1 seguidamente circles applyin the 2, maiorias apps rd the 1 of the principle of the schools NS of September seguidamente this it continue _ hope that this to help,

the best part: "The little inquiry of which informs in way that wall lamp"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 14:06
LOL rhyme! Someone methinks you got too much free time on your hands :P

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 14:15
SMS speak :)

Annoys me too, in forums because there isn't a character restriction and I've owned a mobile phone since 1997!!!
Re: When to apply for B-Schools   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2008, 14:15