Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When to apply for financial aid.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
When to apply for financial aid. [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 03:48
What is the appropriate time to file the FAFSA? Should you forward it to all schools, or wait and just forward it to schools you are admitted to.

In the bad old days, when I applied to law school, I remember submitting a disk with FAFSA data along with the application (by mail of course), but I didn't see any schools request this. Some specifically state to file after tax returns for last year are completed - but do you then wait for a decision before sending it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 06:30
good question pelihu, I am interested to hear more about this as well. It was my understanding that first you wait to get admitted, then you apply for FAFSA and that the deadline for applying is pretty far out (early summer?).
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2007, 18:40
I think the case is a little bit different for Internationals (which is the case I've had the chance to discuss with a few adcoms), but I agree that you should wait for admission before applying.
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for financial aid. [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2007, 18:45
Pelihu, can you please enlighten me how FAFSA works. I became a US resident few years ago and am now eligible to apply. What are the advantages of filing for FAFSA ?

pelihu wrote:
What is the appropriate time to file the FAFSA? Should you forward it to all schools, or wait and just forward it to schools you are admitted to.

In the bad old days, when I applied to law school, I remember submitting a disk with FAFSA data along with the application (by mail of course), but I didn't see any schools request this. Some specifically state to file after tax returns for last year are completed - but do you then wait for a decision before sending it?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for financial aid. [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 00:09
lhotseface wrote:
Pelihu, can you please enlighten me how FAFSA works. I became a US resident few years ago and am now eligible to apply. What are the advantages of filing for FAFSA ?

pelihu wrote:

The FAFSA is used to apply for federal aid. Federal loans generally have lower interest rates, and some can be subsidized which means interest does not accrue while you are in school. It is also used to quality for federal grants, though these are generally not very substantial. Many schools also use the information from the FAFSA to determine eligibility for other forms of financial aid (work-study, need based grants from schools, etc).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1547 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: When to apply for financial aid. [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 08:05
pelihu wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

pelihu wrote:

The FAFSA is used to apply for federal aid. Federal loans generally have lower interest rates, and some can be subsidized which means interest does not accrue while you are in school. It is also used to quality for federal grants, though these are generally not very substantial. Many schools also use the information from the FAFSA to determine eligibility for other forms of financial aid (work-study, need based grants from schools, etc).

So... what if I had $100,000 to pay for grad school already? Could I just take out an interest free loan and put the fasfa money into a 5% CD - and make like $10K during my two years of interest free?
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: When to apply for financial aid. [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 08:26
I would put my 100K in a CD and use the FAFSA money to pay the loans. I guess the FAFSA amount can only be used to pay the Bursar's office. It doesn't make sense for the feds to allow students to use the cash any other way. It would end up as beer fund for most undergrads.

rhyme wrote:
pelihu wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

pelihu wrote:

So... what if I had $100,000 to pay for grad school already? Could I just take out an interest free loan and put the fasfa money into a 5% CD - and make like $10K during my two years of interest free?
[/quote]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: When to apply for financial aid. [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 09:33
lhotseface wrote:
I would put my 100K in a CD and use the FAFSA money to pay the loans. I guess the FAFSA amount can only be used to pay the Bursar's office. It doesn't make sense for the feds to allow students to use the cash any other way. It would end up as beer fund for most undergrads.

Yea this is what I meant - I mean, money is fungible - it doesnt matter. The point I was making was that if I can get $100K from FAFSA, and I have a two year no-interest period - I could take the $100K I have and put it in ING or similar (~5%) and make $10,000 in two years - which isn't much, but its free money.

There has to be a catch.... Seems too simple. Can you even borrow $100K?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 09:38
Ah here's the catch:

http://www.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/DirectLoan/faq.html

I can't borrow more than $18,000....

Then again:

With a PLUS loan, a graduate/professional student or the parent of a dependent student can borrow up to the cost of the student's education minus other financial aid the student receives.

So I'm a bit confused.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 10:02
I don't think you are guaranteed to get financial aid. And I believe that you will need to disclose your financisal situation when you apply for FAFSA. The more money you have, the less of a loan/grant amount you'll get. So rhyme, with 100k you may not be eligible for much or any aid.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 10:50
EconGirl wrote:
I don't think you are guaranteed to get financial aid. And I believe that you will need to disclose your financisal situation when you apply for FAFSA. The more money you have, the less of a loan/grant amount you'll get. So rhyme, with 100k you may not be eligible for much or any aid.

That makes sense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 15:20
There is a max of 18,500 for the subsidized loan and then you can get a unsubsidized loan (which means your interest accrus the minute it is disbursed to you) and you can get the remaining part of ur college tuition and expenses that way. The unsbusidized is a new loan called the federal GRAD plus loan and it has i believe a 8% interest rate... hope this helps :) also both of them u start paying after u graduate i believe but jst that 8% will accrue as ur in college for anything over 18,500 a year... hope this helps :)

A.P.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2007, 15:48
AshikaP wrote:
There is a max of 18,500 for the subsidized loan and then you can get a unsubsidized loan (which means your interest accrus the minute it is disbursed to you) and you can get the remaining part of ur college tuition and expenses that way. The unsbusidized is a new loan called the federal GRAD plus loan and it has i believe a 8% interest rate... hope this helps :) also both of them u start paying after u graduate i believe but jst that 8% will accrue as ur in college for anything over 18,500 a year... hope this helps :)

well there goes the arbritrage opportunity :)
  [#permalink] 14 Jan 2007, 15:48