Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When to start studying for GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

When to start studying for GMAT [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2014, 12:29
Hello,

I graduated high school with over 70 college credit hour so my college placement plan is a little off. I'll be graduating in December of 2015, and I know most MBA programs start in August. I was wondering when should I start studying for the GMAT and buying the study guides? I would like to start studying as soon as possible, but if I start now I'm scared that the material will change and I will be wasting my time. Also, I was going to buy the OG guide 13 and the Manhattan guide 5th edition. Do you think these two study guides will be sufficient for taking the GMAT sometime next January?

Thanks for your time,
Brandon
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 7

Re: When to start studying for GMAT [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 03:42
BrandonBlah wrote:
Hello,

I graduated high school with over 70 college credit hour so my college placement plan is a little off. I'll be graduating in December of 2015, and I know most MBA programs start in August. I was wondering when should I start studying for the GMAT and buying the study guides? I would like to start studying as soon as possible, but if I start now I'm scared that the material will change and I will be wasting my time. Also, I was going to buy the OG guide 13 and the Manhattan guide 5th edition. Do you think these two study guides will be sufficient for taking the GMAT sometime next January?

Thanks for your time,
Brandon

Hey Brendon,

It would be to your advantage if you start early on your prep. More the time at hand, the better it is. It would be useful in case you need to re-take the exam later. I am not aware of any changes in the GMAT's "syllabus" per se. However, there might be a new Official guide edition that might come out with latest official questions or perhaps a new MGMAT guides edition but the basic content always remains the same. You could find out if new editions are coming out any time soon.

Depending on where you already are with your quant and verbal skills, 6 months or less would be apt time. More than 6 months of prep time hasn't turned out to be too fruitful for anyone I know, including myself. I am confident that what one may achieve in more than 6 months could be achieved in a shorter time with fewer hassles.

MGMAT and OG are top resources for the GMAT. They would at least give you a sound starting point. Hope this helps.

Paras.

If you found my post helpful give KUDOS!!! Everytime you thank me but don't give Kudos, an Angel dies!

My GMAT Debrief:

I am now providing personalized one to one GMAT coaching over Skype at a nominal fee. Hurry up to get an early bird discount! Send me an IM to know more.

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: When to start studying for GMAT [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2014, 07:24
Expert's post
Hello,

Our experts have found that more study time usually yields better results, and we strongly recommend that students spend between 8 and 12 weeks studying.

You might find our recent blog article helpful, "How much should you study for the GMAT?"

http://gmat.economist.com/blog/test-tak ... study-gmat

Kind regards,

Elizabeth

Liz
http://econgm.at/KvjVSi
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: When to start studying for GMAT   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2014, 07:24